• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Differences in Redblock Motormounts?

SwedishKnievel

I have two Volvos: 1990 745 GLE and 1994 940T. I bought the 940T to swap the turbo motor into the wagon. This weekend, I loaded the turbo motor on to the hoist and prepared to drop it into the wagon. I discovered rather quickly that the 940 motor mounts wouldn't fit in the 745 chassis and that the 16V motor mounts wouldn't fit on the turbo block. What gives? Obviously I was under the naive impression that all redblocks are interchangeable. Clearly not the case.

It seems I am faced with the choice of either swapping K members (yuck) or hacking off the extension bracket on the drivers side of the K member that is in the 745.

Are there other alternatives?

PS: Looking at replacing the motor mounts from the 940 and I've found options at IPD and RockAuto ranging from about $20ea to $110ea for Volvo OEM. They all seem to be stock-replacement. Are there any aftermarket/performance alternatives?

Last edited:
The part number for the cross member seems to be the same for both cars: 3536602; 1334862. Maybe the mounts themselves or the mount brackets are the difference.

Engine mounting bracket (engine block to motor mount) for B230FT:
Left 1329426
Right 1329427

Engine mounting pad (motor mount) 85-95:

Engine Bracket (mount to cross member):
Left: 8250088;1329424
Right: 8250082;1329425

Last edited:
The brackets could be different. Swap the brackets from the 90 onto the 94 engine. It should plop in there with no issues. 16v motor mounts are more than likely different from normal b230 engines. Post a picture of what you're talking about in the 745's engine bay.

The cross members are the same. The B234 16 valve brackets are definitely different from the B230 brackets. Just use the appropriate combination of parts and you can do the swap.

I will try to get some pictures up but here is what I know:

The B234F casting is different than the B230 casting with respect to the location of bosses for mounting the motor mounts on the block. The B234F motor mounts will not fit on the B230 and the B230 mounts will not fit on the B234F.

The K-member in the 745 (the wagon w/the B234F originally) has a steel bracket welded (from the factory) on the driver side elevating the mounting point. This bracket is the point to which the 'hockey' puck type rubber motor mount is bolted.

The k-member in the 940 does not have the bracket.

^^ I vaguely remember the additional bracket on the crossmember that you are describing. I may still have one of the crossmembers out of one of the two 16 valve 740s I parted out.

Back