• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5738447&postcount=253

It feels like when the shifter linkage bushings go out on an m46. Spongy feeling and not quite “click” into gears. Then with time I had trouble getting into reverse - would have to first go into 4th before being able to find reverse. 2nd was hard to find too, but worst of all it started to pop out of 5th the more I drove it...

Installed the stock one and wow what a relief, everything clicks in and works well.

No idea on over shifting but with the pro5.0 trans felt broken for me

As an added bonus the stock shifter can be removed from the hole in the trans tunnel while pro5.0 I had to take it apart completely

Last edited:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5738447&postcount=253

Installed the stock one and wow what a relief, everything clicks in and works well.

Good info, thanks. I think since it's already on and I paid for it, I'm going to try this shifter first. I actually don't think it's a Pro 5.0. It's got allen bolt adjustments for the return springs on both sides, which I don't see on any Pro 5.0 pictures. It's probably one of the cheap eBay ones.

That said, I looked online for a stock mustang shifter, and all I can find are the levers. Did you find one at a junkyard?

I had trouble finding 3rd, and t5s are notorious for needing a 2nd>Reverse or 4th>reverse pattern. Adjusting the stops fixed my 3rd, and I’ve just been accustomed to 2nd then reverse since the first fox mustang I drove.

I had trouble finding 3rd, and t5s are notorious for needing a 2nd>Reverse or 4th>reverse pattern. Adjusting the stops fixed my 3rd, and I?ve just been accustomed to 2nd then reverse since the first fox mustang I drove.

I've been looking at my shifter and it's definitely one of the $40 eBay ones. It's got a lot of adjustment though, and I can get it to run through the gears pretty well with the car not running, or course.

I assume the 2nd > reverse thing is a syncro issue? I've gotten accustomed to going 1st > reverse on every SAAB and Volvo I've had, so I don't think that'll bother me much.

I think I'll grab a SN95 Mustang shifter to have on hand if this one feels wonky.

Pretty sure reverse has no synchro, so 2nd aligns the teeth just about right for the reverse slider.. As the trans wears, 4th and 5th get to be the closest match.

Pretty sure reverse has no synchro, so 2nd aligns the teeth just about right for the reverse slider.. As the trans wears, 4th and 5th get to be the closest match.

Yeah I think most transmissions don't have a synchronized reverse, I've just found that throwing the ones I've had into 1st, then reverse avoids any crunching. I think I was taught that at 16 years old.

Yeah I think most transmissions don't have a synchronized reverse, I've just found that throwing the ones I've had into 1st, then reverse avoids any crunching. I think I was taught that at 16 years old.

I've always done 2nd. Especially with the m40.

So, I finished the crossmember last week and got the T5 sitting more or less where it needs to. The driveline got a slip yoke welded on and the front section was enlarged to 2". That fit with zero issues.

Last weekend I put the 240 tunnel in that I got from hiperfauto. That was definitely the best way to go about getting a T5 into an early (front shift) car. As you can see in the photos, I had to notch out a section at the front left of the tunnel, and made a little pocket to patch that up and give it a few extra millimeters of space. Then I welded the whole thing and sealed it with seam sealer from the top and bottom.

I drove it to work and back, but the trans is now making enough noise at idle in neutral that I'm pulling it out again this weekend. Sounds like input bearing noise. Clutch out, in neutral, it sounds like pretty aggressive rod knock in the trans case.

It shifts and drives flawlessly, though. We'll see.

Attachments

• Tunnelriveted-0935.jpg
    Tunnelriveted-0935.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 352
  • Tunnelriveted-0948.jpg
    Tunnelriveted-0948.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 351
  • Tunnelriveted-0959.jpg
    Tunnelriveted-0959.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Tunnelriveted-1004.jpg
    Tunnelriveted-1004.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 354
Got the T5 out. Pilot bearing is smooth as silk, which sucks because I was kind of hoping it had something to do with that. It's one of those Ford needle bearing and it seemed a little stiff when I put it in. Now that it's been run for 20 miles, it seems totally fine.

I should also add that there is zero play in the input shaft. But, I can get the transmission to make the rattle noise by rotating the input shaft back and forth on the bench. It's definitely gear mesh, not bearing noise.

I'm thinking the rattle in neutral at idle is just the 8 cylinder transmission on a 4 cylinder thing. I really should have tried some Lucas oil stabilizer before I pulled the damn thing!

Ok, to late.
What kind of clutch disc are you running? Damped or not? I did a fast read through this thread and couldn't find,
If not damped with torsion springs this rattle is a "must"

Regards, Kay
still in hope to see my 142 this year on the road, too. Only with B230f and LPG, no "T"

Ok, to late.
What kind of clutch disc are you running? Damped or not? I did a fast read through this thread and couldn't find,
If not damped with torsion springs this rattle is a "must"

Regards, Kay
still in hope to see my 142 this year on the road, too. Only with B230f and LPG, no "T"

I have a damped clutch from Yoshifab. "Stage 2", for whatever that's worth.

Just fished my T5 mock into my 73 142. Wish I went your direction with the cross member. My the time I was finished molesting the ford mustang one I could of just made one from scratch.
Any thoughts yet on drive shaft? We found the aluminum one from a aerostar but it wont fit in the small mid mount body tunnel. I've seen some guys cut it out to make the driveshaft fit. It just seems very structural and part of the body.

Well, I could have saved myself a lot of time, but I guess that's how you learn. Everything looked great with the transmission, so I read up on people adding some Luca Oil Stabilizer to the ATF in their T5s. I put about .5 quart in, and I'd say the noise has been cut down by 50%. It's completely liveable.

Just fished my T5 mock into my 73 142. Wish I went your direction with the cross member. My the time I was finished molesting the ford mustang one I could of just made one from scratch.
Any thoughts yet on drive shaft? We found the aluminum one from a aerostar but it wont fit in the small mid mount body tunnel. I've seen some guys cut it out to make the driveshaft fit. It just seems very structural and part of the body.

Do you mean you wish you used two stock mounts like mine? It seems pretty sweet so far. If I did it again, I'd make one from scratch too. Mine is way overcomplicated.

The driveshaft seems to be fine. No vibrations up to 90mph so far.

Do you have a thread on your T5 installation into your 142?
Steve

Back