• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2001 C70 Downpipe replacement Now with WTF IPD???? (Now with tuning content)

On ME7 cars you can't just leave the rear o2 out of the exhaust, you'll throw the code. It senses temp and o2 so if it's not hot it knows it's out of the exhaust. It just needs to sense less o2 than the front one so in a catless system an extender or right angle fitting will allow it to get hot and still read less o2 to avoid throwing a code. Or you can have it deleted by a tuner.

If you want an aftermarket cat, this one passes emissions in Denver, which does the sniffer test and is fairly strict. I have the IPD exhaust and this is what's in it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FG9ORRM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3UPELQOZEIBWB&colid=FLM6O78WZFQ5&psc=0

On ME7 cars you can't just leave the rear o2 out of the exhaust, you'll throw the code. It senses temp and o2 so if it's not hot it knows it's out of the exhaust. It just needs to sense less o2 than the front one so in a catless system an extender or right angle fitting will allow it to get hot and still read less o2 to avoid throwing a code. Or you can have it deleted by a tuner.

Ahh gotcha! Did not know it sensed heat. I know They need to get hot quickly but wasn't aware it was looking for heat. Wonder if it could be wire tied to the exhaust or near the turbo and get that heat not that it really matters though.

Thanks for all the feedback - really appreciated.

At the end of the day I went with the IPD turbo back kit.

OEM downpipe $900+
Aftermarket downpipe $900+
IPD Downpipe $900+
IPD entire stainless exhaust with downpipe and cat $750

:omg:

I don't try to understand these things anymore - but for the extra $300-$400 I'll go with what looks like a much better design and manufactured IPD product. The exhaust will likely outlive the car when all is said and done - so the extra spend is fairly negligible over time.

Thanks again everyone :wave:

I'm mostly posting this update to bitch a bit. No other real reason.

So my mechanic calls me says the car is pretty much ready except that the O2 sensor harness was too short to reach the sensor. Said he called IPD but that was the only length they had. They were kind enough to ship him three new ones free of charge so he can splice them, but they won't be there until tomorrow at the earliest - otherwise it's sitting there until freaking Tuesday :rant:

WTF? That's going to cost me another hour's worth of labor most likely and the car won't be back until mid next week with the holiday :rant:

Spoke to IPD - "We've never had this problem before no idea why that's the case with your car...etc."

Mostly just venting - not looking for a solution though they could have given me a $50 credit or something which would split the added labor cost and aggravation - and I'd be writing about what swell guys they are rather than bitching about what seems like a pretty stupid design flaw on their part.

:rant:

I've had mixed results with the fit of some of their stuff. Your story doesn't surprise me. I've had the best luck with Elevate products when it comes to plug and play hardware.

Jerks didn't even ship it next day. Won't be there until freaking Tuesday based on the tracking.

:rant:

Sounds about right, been seeing things slip up there lately. How can they not know their system moves the O2 x amount from stock, thus requiring a part to make it work?

I had an issue with their P1 intercooler hose slipping down off the throttle body. Ipd argued the issue was caused by worn engine mounts. I bought a brand new Volvo hose and discovered the ipd hose was angled slightly differently. It's not a carbon copy of the factory hose. I installed the factory hose, and no more slippage.

Last edited:
Ya.

It's just a lesson in customer service you know? You just screwed me up, cost me another $100, the use of my car for yet another week and annoy my mechanic - offer me something to make it right. "Hey look why don't we make it up to you...." give me a credit, send me a shirt and hat, a wheel glove whatever AT LEAST SEND THE PART OVERNIGHT FOR **** SAKES - make more of an effort than "Hey your car is just weird not our fault we've had lots of satisfied customers".

Instead you leave me pissed off - ranting on a Volvo performance site about what a bunch of douche-bags you are, and taking my business to FCP or others exclusively moving forward.

Customer service 101. It's really not that hard. :uh:

Last edited:
To be honest, FCP isn't a whole lot better. Both companies have a pretty arrogant attitude even when they're at fault. In one experience with FCP, I had to open a dispute with them to get their customer service dept. to help me.

One of those two sold me a P80 fuel pump that was wired to run backwards. Wasted countless ****ing hours trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start. Also not safe to be shipping **** like that.

I buy from Amazon, RockAuto and Tasca when I can.

My experiences with FCP have been good to date. :e-shrug:

Meh - the whole world sucks. I'm the only reasonable person on the earth. :-P

Meh - the whole world sucks. I'm the only reasonable person on the earth. :-P

Just keep telling yourself that....

In all honesty though, IPD and FCP aren't the ones boxing up parts, so the pump being wired backwards is up to the quality of parts their vendor sells them. Granted they should make it right, but it's not their fault for the part being wrong out of the box. It's no different than the defective Delphi pump I got for the Dodge. Bought it from AZ, but they are just the reseller of the defective part, and as such, they are the ones that have to make it right with the customer first, then settle up with the vendor. Hell, years back I went thru 3 oil pressure senders straight from the dealer, straight from the parts department I was working in. All 3 the light worked, gauge didn't. Old one was intermittent, chain store one worked but reads low to this day. All 3 from the dealer came straight from the manufacturer to the shipping bin then into my lunchbox for the ride home. Point is, nobody is immune from bad parts.

In Bready's case, IPD should have known a part they spec'd and had custom built would require additional parts as part of the upgrade kit they designed, spec'd, assembled and sold.

Car is back - a week later - :rant:

On top of the wiring, the rear hangers won't fit, the hangers are too low on the rear muffler and there was no way for them to connect them to the OEM supports without them being pressed against the sub-frame so the shop had to source some generic hangers and set things up from there.

Said he called IPD and got the same "Well we don't see that being installed on a lot of C70's etc..." WTF if you don't expect it to fit the car put a note to that effect or something. It's my fault for purchasing a product from you that you state outright will fit the car???

Will go back later in the week to get everything tightened up after giving it a few days of banging around and have them cut off the IPD hangers from the pipe.

Not the worst experience in a purchase in my life but I'm less than impressed with the customer service and some of the elements of the fab.

Upside it sounds and looks good.

Onward.

That sounds more like the installation experience I would expect from an OBX system.

The Ipd exhaust I put on my V70R went on pretty painlessly.

Back