• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

OEM OBD1 Volvo scan tool

P8ntbol18

Hello all,

In the interest of tuning and monitoring things post 16t swap, I?ve been looking online to see what if any scan tool the oe used to monitor live data on pre 96 bricks. I?m well aware of the ability to flash out codes from the various modules on the vehicle, but as I work as a technician for a living, I?m aware of how dumb some of these early fi systems can be. Is there an oem tool (a la gm?s tech1) or aftermarket solution you guys have found useful to monitor various pids in real time aside from a multimeter or oscilloscope?

Thanks!

There is an old tool mentioned in the literature, but I don't think you'll ever find one. It had limited live-screen capabilities, and was mostly a code reading/clearing device with multimeter functionality. There's no current aftermarket device for Volvo OBD1 scanning AFAIK.

Just thinking out loud here, but what if we made a fuel control breakout box type lead set to run between the harness and module? At that point all you’d have to do is process the values and we’d have live maf, ect, pulse width, tps, etc. I don’t know how exactly but it seems like it’s be easy enough with a laptop. At that point, lh2.4 datalogging would be easy too.

Just thinking out loud here, but what if we made a fuel control breakout box type lead set to run between the harness and module? At that point all you?d have to do is process the values and we?d have live maf, ect, pulse width, tps, etc. I don?t know how exactly but it seems like it?s be easy enough with a laptop. At that point, lh2.4 datalogging would be easy too.

This thread should be interesting to you:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=227153

There's really no spot to plug in a scan tool without unplugging the LH/EZK box, which would lose all the fuel trim data. There is rumor of OBDI live stream data from the late LH2.4 boxes, not sure if anyone has played with interpreting it or not.

I've not seen anything referring to a factory scan tool prior to the VST for the 96+ P80's.

We’ve still got a functioning VST at work.

There’s an adapter/cord for the VST that fits into the diagnostic port on the OBD1 cars. On the opposite side, it has a standard DLC port. The there’s two leads that you attach to the battery to power the VST.

I’ll snap a picture of it when I go back to work Monday.

It can read out codes, clear codes and initiate the diagnostic test that activates the IAC motor and injectors. I’m pretty sure it won’t read out live data on the LH2.4 cars, but it will on 960s/850s with Motronic. I’d have to check to know for sure though.

Back