• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel Rail Removal - 17mm Stuck Bolt

Robustus

Custom User Title
So how do you remove the fuel rail from a '91 240? The 17mm nut that connects to the pressurized fuel line is a huge pain. I can't even put maximum force on it without bending the thin tube that's part of the rail. Yes, I'm using the 14mm cast-on nut that's right next to it in order to brace appropriately, but I'm still bending the tube. Anyone run into this?

Definately an issue on most of the 240s/940s I have worked on. Use lots of penetrant and flare wrenches. A friend to hold one wrench may also help. Most people suggest lining the wrenches up so that you can squeeze them together with one hand. Good luck.

whackit, smackit, kickit...

how the hell would you use an impact wrench?

beat on the 17mm wrench with the butt end of the impact wrench, while holding the 14mm with your teeth in the death chomp....:-D

or...( i think this is the best approach) use a 17mm crowsfoot wrench (or is that buzzards foot) on the impact, whilst still holding the 14mm on the rail with the teeth. hold the impact with both hands, pull the trigger, and let er work! you'd be amazed what that might do... i've never tried it...:-D
.....(not responsible for any bodily harm incurred while following any of my advise)......

Last edited:
scissor 2 wrenches to maximize the strength of your hands. PBlaster - NO TORCHES

You might grab a spare at the junkyard before you start so if you do screw something up.....

alright well my 14mm nut is now so boogered up I can't keep a wrench on it. should I just cut the fuel line and replace the rail and line? my fuel rail is all bent to hell now. if it's this tough getting it off my car, I'm not sure how one is gonna come off a junkyard car....

Last edited:
Get yourself the proper line wrenches and follow henry's advice given above.

fuel48.jpg

I have used vise grips to " pinch the outer nut across the flats and break the bond loose, clamp it as hard as you can with smooth jaw vise grips". Use good quality flare wrenches, set them so you squeeze the wrenches, see above photo, on the line fittings.

I think I used an adjustable wrench on the counterhold when I had to pull mine, and closed it really, really tight. Put another adjustable on the fitting side if you can, but a slightly loose spanner might be fine there. Have them close enough together that you can hold the counterhold against your second set of knuckles while pressing on the other wrench with your palm.
Look at the bright side. At least it isn't the transmission dipstick nut you're fighting with. I had to put a jack under the counterhold wrench to crack that one.

Back