• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

WALBRO main pump for Kjet turbo car

bob davi

Hello,

2.1 turbo Kjet main pump sounding weak...O"reilly had Walbro replacement..

GSL 392
21013-1 Made in USA

Anyone know if this will be okay?

I have a Walbro 255 in-tank in my Bucik turbo and no problems for 12 years, so the brand does not concern me...just wanted to know if anyone else using this..doing okay??

This GSL392 looks like the external version of the 255 in-tank Walbro.

Are pump pressures compatible with Kjet?? Just to clarify..this is the external main pump, NOT the in-tank primary pump.

Thanks, Bob

NICE...2 negative answers:-(...I'm glad O'Reilly sells is as a "replacement".....oh well, it's got a lifetime warranty...

Thanks for info on 60PSI not being enough; that's what I was looking for. I guess we can use it to get the boy back on the road for a while.

Any other input is welcome. The car is slowly pushing us towards "stage zero" on its own!! Clutch, head job, timing belt, water pump, turbo, PCV cleanout, fuel pump,.....:lol: We have the wiring harness; just not installed yet.

Bob

Get a known good 949 here for st00pid ch33p.

Yep...I have a post in "wanted" and also PM'd a few known parts guys, but no luck..so far.

Will most likely take Walbro 392 back today; it's in, but we haven't run fuel thru it. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig for the GCL604 mentioned above..

edit; OK..just called O'Reilly; they have this GCL 604 in stock....I will install and report back.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi VB,

Just got back from O'Reilly...they had their brand of that Walbro 604, but I passed on it. I either want the Walbro or good used 949.

Thanks for checking and updating the thread/info. None of the patrs stores have the Walbro's in stock. The pump I took back was a Walbro in a Delphi box.

Bob

Hello again, and welcome to "round two" of the fuel pump problem.

To refresh; this all started after we blew a couple fuel pump relays; they'd last about 2 minutes, then engine would stop. I went and did the "secondary" relay wired to the main relay...ran about 5 minutes, then...stop. When key was turned on, pump sounded weak, so we thought "GOTTA BE the main pump"....right?? GOTTA BE...

SO, I try to find a good used original; but it's taking time. That leads to trying the Walbro's...if you read the thread you see what I got and what advice was given about the GSL-392..."take it back", so I did that. Then I went and ordered the Walbro GCL-604; they got it in and it didn't have "Walbro" printed on it, plus fittings were not looking quite right. SO I call Eeurope car parts and they say they have the GSL-604..I get it today and it has GSL-604-1 on the box, but I pull it out and it has Walbro GCL-392 on the side:grrr:YGBSM..how hard can it be ????

So I tell my son to grab the pump I got from RWC off our other turbo wagon. He does and successfully swaps them all by himself:), gets it running, lets it idle for about 15 minutes, running fine, then goes for a ride..and 5 minutes later.same problem. Engine quits, but starts about 3 minutes later, runs for 2 minutes then stops. When key is on, pump sounds weak.

In-tank pump is good. Fliter under hood R&R about 2 months back. Anyone have any ideas where to start search for problem. Hard to believe two pumps are bad, so now I wonder if a wiring issue as that seems to be common denominator. We want to make this work, but I gotta admit, this is getting frustrating.

So, symptom is, car runs for about 5 minutes of driving, then quits and pump sounds "weak"...
Tomorrow will check ground wire from pump to floor.

THanks for reading my boring drivel,

Bob

You should make sure the ground wire for the in tank pump has a good connection to the body, it's just a Phillips head screw, mine was very rusty underneath the connector and the screw and needed some sanding. I replaced the connector and covered the whole works with liquid electrical tape afterwards.

Thanks VB...I will check that..Once again trying to think of why it runs about 4-5 minutes of actual driving. Car quit both times within 500 feet of same spot....gotta be a clue there.

Unless there's an alien "Volvo vortex" in that spot, it's gotta be something in the car itself. But it did idle for about 15 minutes prior to drive, and drive was not hard, ie, no boost..??

Bob

Back