• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bad B230FK Holset HY35 combo?

c.slopsma

Recently decided to let the na build wait. Came across a turbo engine for next to nothing. The car already has a megasquirt in it and i got an Holset hy35w 10cm and an hx35w 12cm laying around. The hx is waiting for the 2jz but the hy has no goal yet. Think it might be fun to slap it on to the B230FK. Also got a lightweight flywheel and a V cam to throw at it. Anyone got some extra info about a combo like that?

''will it ever spool'' ?:lol:

motor.PNG

Exactly what I am building. B230FK with HY35 10cm.

Ofcourse the boost treshold is depending on numerous things,like which manifold are you using, camshaft, ignition timing, exhaust etc.

Expect around 3500rpm for serious boost. So perfectly useable for our cars.

Some people here used it on the 90+ and relatively stock engines. Not ideal, but will still easily make 350hp.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it makes 350hp easily with the 90+. I ran an hy35cw on a 90+ and hit a wall around 280whp @20psi. I built a custom manifold and used everything else the same and I picked up 30+whp at the same psi.

With a stock head and around 25+psi you can net around 350whp out of an hy35cw on a custom header. A better flowing head and larger valves would be needed to make those numbers on a 90+.

Either way it is a fairly fun setup, with an auto the boost is laggy but a total blast once it comes in

Just finished the flywheel yesterday. I made it a while ago but needed to be balanced. I used a crankshaft out
of an old b23A. To my surprise it was within a gram! Way to go Volvo. Did some finetuning on the crank and
then balanced the flywheel, Which had 5 to begin with. Not that bad, But now also within 0.5.
IMG_20180911_092920-1152x648.jpg

IMG_20180925_193837-648x1152.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it makes 350hp easily with the 90+. I ran an hy35cw on a 90+ and hit a wall around 280whp @20psi. I built a custom manifold and used everything else the same and I picked up 30+whp at the same psi.

With a stock head and around 25+psi you can net around 350whp out of an hy35cw on a custom header. A better flowing head and larger valves would be needed to make those numbers on a 90+.

Either way it is a fairly fun setup, with an auto the boost is laggy but a total blast once it comes in

Sounds promising! For now i'm also planning on using the stock 90+ manifold. It will be going thru the M46 currently mounted in the 242. Would you be willing to share your advance map?

For injectors i'm looking at the siemens deka ones. Are they a direct drop in?
s-l300.jpg

Nice! I'll order a set of those.

Had a little bit of a setback. I was convinced my manifold was crack free, but while cleaning
it seems to be cracked pretty badly after all. A college of mine maybe has another one but
otherwise it will have to get welded i guess.. Did some stuff to the turbo:

IMG_20180926_092807-648x1152.jpg

Got it apart and removed the silencer ring on the inlet, because who doesn't like loud
screams of horsepower :oogle:

IMG_20180926_115815-648x1152.jpg

Further removed the alignment pins from the center housing, cleaned and painted it. The V-Band outlet on
the conpressor housing has been sanded down to accept a normal hose. Been looking at those detonation
cans for tuning, It appears it can also be done with the stock knock sensor. Interesting!

Last edited:
Very nice flywheel. Modified dogdish, correct?

You are in the Netherlands as well right?
Availability of the M90 is plenty! Go with that.

Pressure plate:

https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/lamell-sachs-940-med-m90-och-228mm-svanghjul_special.html

They also have 228mm friction plates with 20 spline pattern (fits M90)

Correct, on all of them!
It's a dogdish flywheel. Original weight was 12.8kg now it's at 8.8.

For pressureplate iam using an 940tdic one. Could get it for fairly cheap and they should hold 400nm.

KL has some pretty nice stuff. Wish list for the future: T3 cam , valvesprings, intake, exhaust & cluch:omg:

For pressureplate iam using an 940tdic one. Could get it for fairly cheap and they should hold 400nm.

You might make more. :cool:

I have the exact same turbo as you. Unfortunately for us, this turbine housing has a very small wastegate port, which will only be able to control boost at high pressures.

In order to "port" the wastegate you would have to cut or mill open the housing, port the gate, and weld it shut again. Or are you going external?

I have not yet made up my mind what to do.

The easy way of dealing with the wg port is just to put the turbine housing in a drill press, and drill through it. I used a 30mm (or 32mm, don't remember) drill bit, and the head of a stock 35mm exhaust valve as a flapper. Haven't had it any lower thann 14-15 psi, but no boost creep.

Hello eabras,

Just to clarify, you also had this housing?
You drilled trough, removed the flapper, and drilled out the hole?

How did you weld the hole shut? I have never welded cast before.

33k9kkj.png

Last edited:
For injectors i'm looking at the siemens deka ones. Are they a direct drop in?

I've got some ID 1000s I'll sell you. You'd have to change the injector plug or use an adapter, but you'd have some overhead over 80 lb/hr dekas if you ever wanted more power or to use e85.

On LH 75lb/hr injectors are more than enough for 350whp on e85. That is what I ran on my car as I was still rich under load when I did my 12.0@114mph. Anything larger than that on LH and you get into struggling to get things to scale with just a normal 3" amm and you are starting to do some funky stuff.

Hello eabras,

Just to clarify, you also had this housing?
You drilled trough, removed the flapper, and drilled out the hole?

How did you weld the hole shut? I have never welded cast before.

33k9kkj.png

This is the type of housing my Holset came with. I thought about porting it but it still seems
to have a lager waste gate hole than the 13c. If it creeps higher than my 20psi target i'll
mill the plug out and make a new one to weld/screw in.

I've got some ID 1000s I'll sell you. You'd have to change the injector plug or use an adapter, but you'd have some overhead over 80 lb/hr dekas if you ever wanted more power or to use e85.

Would have been nice, Unfortunately the Siemens are already ordered!

On LH 75lb/hr injectors are more than enough for 350whp on e85. That is what I ran on my car as I was still rich under load when I did my 12.0@114mph. Anything larger than that on LH and you get into struggling to get things to scale with just a normal 3" amm and you are starting to do some funky stuff.

I've completely forgot to mention that i'll be running some sort of Megasquirt. The
computer was bought a while ago when i was working on my na build. Already made a
wiring loom and have It mounted in the engine bay.
IMG_20180903_234842-1152x648.jpg

This will be my first try on the EFIgnition modules.

Last edited:
Made some good progress this weekend. At first i had the problem of the broken manifold. Since it's broken
we could at least try to fix it i thought. Looked for the start and end of the crack and made a small groove
on it. Then heated the manifold with te torch for a while til it was red hot. Welded the groove shut and we'll
see how it holds. It's my first attempt at welding cast so it wasn't exactly pretty but seems to work :oops:
IMG_20180928_184254-648x1152.jpg

With that done it had to be made to fit the Holset turbine housing. First machined the flange flat which took
abbout 3 mm. Found some T3 dimensions and ported the collector by hand to it. By this point the Holset
seems to fit quite nicely on there. It's only a shame that the holes in the Holset are made for 10mm studs
while the manifold has only 8, so you have to align it proper before mounting. a nice layer of paint and
ready to test fit.
IMG_20180928_222704-1152x648.jpg

IMG_20180929_092717-1152x648.jpg

Then i got the strange idea to paint the engine black. There was a Volvo's with Holset threat on here with an
picture off an all black looking engine, beautiful! Ofcourse i had to testfit the turbo now and got some help
from my little brother.
IMG_20180929_171704-1152x1467.jpg

Back