• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can an AW70 be turned into a 71? Also other stuff.

Isaiah Reid

Hey, so I've been trying to find the answer for this but, since the AW71 has often been described as a beefed up AW70. So, is it possible to buy an AW71 rebuild kit and throw that into an AW70? Just wondering as a lot of the JY AW's are getting old and if you're going to rebuild one anyway could you just use a 70 as a core. I also couldn't get it straight if the two had different stall speeds and if so would this cause a problem under turbo power?

Also I've heard varying stories on weather an AW70/71 out of a 700/900 is a direct swap into a 240. Some say no difference others about there being a difference in tailshaft or shifter location. Sorry if there are 100 threads on this I didn't find.

Last edited:
It's better to just get an affordable AW71. The parts list to make the trans handle that much more power for a turbo engine is probably pretty long. A rebuild of the trans already setup for turbo use is a better way to go.

The core unit can be interchanged between car series but you do have to change to the appropriate supporting parts to fit your car.

It's more of a hypothetical/out of curiosity, I have a 240 turbo 71 but was just wondering what options are out there. Forgive me I am still not well versed on the magic of the autotragic. I know there is a lot that goes into it but I didn't know if they really only had different clutch packs and such since, correct me if I'm wrong they share the same valve body and gearing. Just wondering where the other internal differences lie.

I'm no expert myself but what I see the people here put through an AW71 you know there are quite a few different parts between the two trannys.

It's better to just get an affordable AW71. The parts list to make the trans handle that much more power for a turbo engine is probably pretty long. A rebuild of the trans already setup for turbo use is a better way to go.

The core unit can be interchanged between car series but you do have to change to the appropriate supporting parts to fit your car.

:nod:

Go to the junkyard lay on your back in the frozen snow / slush for 17? / hr and pull the AW71 out of a 7-9 turbo.

This was really more of a question of curiosity. It'd be interesting to take both apart and see whats what.

it's been done. no you cannot just swap some clutches around.

This is all already documented in various other places on the forum.

Back