• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B20 Engine In Cam Swap

Ah!!! Perfect! I was wondering what those were for - I tried to get 5/16" to push out the other side, but it wasn't threaded the whole way through! Any idea what the thread is on the inside of the crankshaft snout? I'm thinkin I can rig up a press the same way, with that 36mm socket I got for the camshaft nut.

Cam is in! Crank gear actually went on fairly easily by reusing the bar I had fabbed to pull it, and pushing in with the bolt that threads into the crankshaft. Just use a pair of nuts on the 5/16 bolts to keep them in place.

Timing gear is today - definitely need a heat gun for that guy. I'm hoping that I pushed the woodruff key down far enough for it.

After timing gear, gonna reinstall the distributor, fuel pump, then it's all pretty straightforward - just reinstalling timing cover, fan, and radiator.

Distributor, Timing Gear, and Fuel Pump are all reinstalled! I had marked the distributor position before pulling, and on reinstall I'm seeing that it was already set 180 degrees off, BUT, the vacuum valve isn't connected, and when I had flipped the gear around 180 degrees with the distributor rotor matching, the distributor wouldn't seat nicely. Decided to leave it as it was for now. Any advice?

cam gear

Sounds like the drive gear didn't drop into the oil pump. Manually turn the motor over without the distributor, put a little downward pressure with a screwdriver on the top center of the drive gear until it drops into the oil pump. Then double check that the gear is at the correct angle for the distributor to point at #1 tdc. If the angle isn't right, pull & reposition the gear & repeat the steps until you get it right.

Ah! Okay! The odd part is (and this is why I think that it was like this when it was pulled) is that, when it was in a position that the distributor would seat easily, it was pointing at #4 TDC when the timing marks lined up (which is correct).

The gear itself has the offset on the LOWER side of the 30% angle, rather than the upper (by the offset, I mean that if you were to draw a line across the gear, the portion that is cut out is along that line and below it rather than along that line and above it - I have no clue if that makes sense).

CRatcliff- I think mine was offset opposite of what I saw in a picture in the Haynes manual. I marked it and even took a picture when it was at TDC #4 (gear markers lined up).
The car started right up and ran fine.

Back