• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

Lol. The newfs are great shop dogs. The old lady's Corgi though, not so much.:lol:

My newfie loves to hang in the driveway while I work on the car. She even loves to ride in the car, and that looks really funny with her head poking out the back window! They are great dogs, so sweet and sooper lazy. The day I brought mine home she fell asleep under the chop saw table, and I was re-roofing my house, she spent about 4 hours just sleeping while I was cutting new rafter tails, the pile of sawdust she was under was about as big as she was but now thats her favorite place to lay.

Stock Rear End Removed

Well the rear end it out. I think it may have a leak. Lol. Doubt I'll put it back in. Looking at other options for a rear end.

uQk2FNFl.jpg

t7NFBQjl.jpg

kYWMG2hl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Ya know, people say the wagon axle is different, but it looks to me like it has the exact same brackets as the 67-up sedans and 1800s, minus the shock and spring mounts. I have a spare 1800 disc brake axle (not for sale) in storage, and I'd be willing to measure the brackets if you want to compare. That would be a nice upgrade option for discs. Also it would mean that while wagon axles can't be used in sedans, sedan axles can be used in wagons.

I mean, compare these to yours:

122_255.jpg

122_272.jpg

That or you know about the Ford 8.8 right?

I would love the dims of possible. Also what about the ford 8.8?

basically you take an Exploder disc axle and cut down the long side to match the short side (and get a 2nd short axle shaft) and you end up with a centered pinion 8.8 and you add your brackets to that...

Right, and it's got the right bolt pattern and is almost the same width.

I'll try to measure the axle mounts sometime tomorrow.

I'd say at if you are heading in the direction of an 8.8.... You might look into going triangulated 4 link and nix the panhard bar. That'd leave more room for upgrading later if you feel the need to go that far.

So far, I'm loving the direction this build is going. Your execution is awesome.

Thanks. I'm looking to see if a 700 series rear end will work. Was also told someone used a 940 rear too. Many options, will see what will work best for me.

Thanks again!

Many options, will see what will work best for me.

Thanks again!

yeah, these cats have many ways of skinning. Someone also told me that they had used flanged axles from an early jeep in the stock dana 30 housing with a better 27 spline carrier. I cant for the life of me remember where that was...

Disassembling M41 Trans

Started trying to get the OD separated from the gearbox today. Ordered all new seals.
t2xTwWml.jpg

EDsKMPKl.jpg

wTcyoY8l.jpg

6y4JQnVl.jpg

b9jIpr8l.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think when you get down into the box itself you will be able to remove that shaft and that last bit of aluminum. I havent gotten up close and personal with the D type ODs though.

You have to remove the shifterforks and shafts. then turn the aluminium a bit so you can remove the shaft for the bottom axle.
when you remove the shaft, the bottom axle drops and then you can pull the last bit out.

there is a needle bearing in each end of the bottom shaft FYI ;)

That's not what I wanted to hear. Didn't want to take the gearbox apart due to lack of experience. Taking the OD off was already intimidating enough. Lol.

Taking the forks out is no big deal. To disassemble the rest you'll need a rod the same diameter as the layshaft but as much shorter as the thickness of the transmission case on both ends. Does that make sense? When you drive it through, everything will stay together and fall down into the bottom allowing you to take the mainshaft out.

Is there a seal behind that? I can't remember.

Taking the forks out is no big deal. To disassemble the rest you'll need a rod the same diameter as the layshaft but as much shorter as the thickness of the transmission case on both ends. Does that make sense? When you drive it through, everything will stay together and fall down into the bottom allowing you to take the mainshaft out.

Is there a seal behind that? I can't remember.

Appears to be a seal. That's why I was trying to get apart. I'll give it a shot tonight and hopefully it goes well.

Thanks for the help!

I remember there being a gasket somewhere on mine that I had to tear to get it on because I didn't completely disassemble the trans. I think it was that one.

Well I'll bring it into the house and break it apart on the kitchen table. That should make the old lady happy. Lol.

Back