• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Penta crankshaft

KEITHS2000

So following on from the distributor thread
I liberated the block from the boat yard as I understand it , it may or may not have a forged crankshaft
How do I tell? Any markings to look out for

All cast cranks have a narrow "parting line" from when the casting is poured into the form. The forged version has a much wider parting area with more of a smeared look to it, due to the mechanical forging process.

A good used forged crank will ring like a bell when tapped with a hammer..... if a dull sound results, it's cracked.

Yeah the boat redblocks have a tag riveted on the motor right by the starter. Look at that and post what the tag says here and we'll be able to tell you what it's got.

Protip- If the crank is still firmly enclosed in the block, you can tell what it is with a drill. Pop the crank bolt out, and use a 1/8" drill bit on the end of the crank. Not deep, just enough to see the swarf. If it comes out as a curly-q, then it's forged. If it's a bunch of little chips, then it's cast.

So following on from the distributor thread
I liberated the block from the boat yard as I understand it , it may or may not have a forged crankshaft
How do I tell? Any markings to look out for

pull the pan.

look for this
castvsforged001.jpg

Another:
120.jpg

But as usual you ask info but don't supply background info so that we can really help you.
What's your plans?
Why Penta?
How much for the block and crank?
Going to build a 400+ hp motor?

Forged is nice. Its real nice if you get it cheap.

What year block you currently have?

Do you know there's 2 versions of B230 fambly?

Plans are to fit a Volvo b230 in a Honda s2000 whith a chip tune and mbc
Why ? Because I already had the Volvo and the Honda was dirt cheap and already has track suspension and brakes
I also have a b90 gbox
As for the penta it was laying around the boatyard I use ready for scrap and I needed a distributor and drive to convert mine

As for plans with the penta block etc i will put it in storage for a while until Honda is finished
Then decide what to do maybe build a better motor

Plans are to fit a Volvo b230 in a Honda s2000

WTF-animated-gifs.gif

jpyTI.gif

Zz9Xbog.jpg

dHpQc.gif

68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f6d616e6966657374696e7465726163746976652f6465766c6966652f6d61737465722f4465764c6966652e416469756d456d6f7469636f6e5365742f736c656570792e676966

Srsly you are adding like what 150-200# of extra weight in a place in the car where you don't want to add unnecessary weight to a nimble car.

Sell the crank and put an awesome Honda engine back into the car. Forget you even thought this thought

The Honda didn't have an engine when I aquired it

Horrible buzzy things anyway

Interesting collection of pictures you have

Do you have any exact weight figures of a b230 and m90 gbox
If not don't guess I'm just after the facts

Last edited:
The Honda didn't have an engine when I aquired it

Horrible buzzy things anyway
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Sell that crank to someone that knows what to do with it and buy anything else. A redblock is maxed out at 350haichpees and gonna be finicky at best. After dumping thousands of dollars of go fast parts at it.
This is a downgrade.
Wait until the tuners chime in.

This sounds like a reverso swap story.

Like when someone (Leno?) stuffed an SHO Taurus engine into a Fiesta. That was neat, but then what would happen if you stuffed the Fiesta motor into the Taurus?

This sounds like a reverso swap story.

Like when someone (Leno?) stuffed an SHO Taurus engine into a Fiesta. That was neat, but then what would happen if you stuffed the Fiesta motor into the Taurus?

Youd get really good gas mileage going 55 on flat terrain.

Youd get really good gas mileage going 55 on flat terrain.

Further derailment as the op is trollin or deranged, I got 33.74mpg's in my Matrix on Tuesday on a 300 mile trip, doing between 75-80mph most of the way, I hit almost no traffic on I64-I95 from Virginia Beach to Harrisburg PA. I only got 29.8 on the return trip due to traffic.

Further derailment as the op is trollin or deranged, I got 33.74mpg's in my Matrix on Tuesday on a 300 mile trip, doing between 75-80mph most of the way, I hit almost no traffic on I64-I95 from Virginia Beach to Harrisburg PA. I only got 29.8 on the return trip due to traffic.

It's hot.m p g is always great in the summer. When I gave the m47 240 to my now wife in the summer in Utah she was getting 27mpg on mountain terrain (which is pretty awesome) , then winter came and it dropped to below 20mpg on the same route in the snow. 2.4 doesn't like the cold

I've always thought a TDi swap (RWD'ed via an adapter and a Toyota truck trans) would be awesome in my PV. As much or more HP as the motor currently (with some tweaks) and ridiculous MPG.

This concept has only strengthened after buying a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon and driving it over the last couple of months. 5 spd manual, so it's still somewhat engaging to drive, 40 mpg in the city, upper 40's on road trips, it's certainly not fast but it's not achingly slow either.

I've always thought a TDi swap (RWD'ed via an adapter and a Toyota truck trans) would be awesome in my PV. As much or more HP as the motor currently (with some tweaks) and ridiculous MPG.

This concept has only strengthened after buying a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon and driving it over the last couple of months. 5 spd manual, so it's still somewhat engaging to drive, 40 mpg in the city, upper 40's on road trips, it's certainly not fast but it's not achingly slow either.

Put that b16 in the Jetta!!

Back