• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vince's '89 244tic sleeper

To further the off-topicness of this thread before I go back and delete some posts...I don't consider my engine "built", but I did put new forged pistons into a block that had cast pistons and I did make twice the original horsepower. The pistons are OEM Mahle but they are stronger and more powerful. Built or rebuilt?

So if I get a junkyard redblock and install new OEM pistons, does that make it built or just rebuilt?

See below

In accordance with the usual vernacular, that would be rebuilt.

"Built" means somehow strengthened or otherwise made more powerful. Comes from "built up," similar to "beefed up," or "souped up" if you are sufficiently old-school.
Butttt, he said he did put upgraded parts in it... :e-shrug:

These are both true. The only thing that's not new is the mainshaft and the case, and the internals are upgraded, making said T-5 Built. Not Rebuilt or Reman'd.

To further the off-topicness of this thread before I go back and delete some posts...I don't consider my engine "built", but I did put new forged pistons into a block that had cast pistons and I did make twice the original horsepower. The pistons are OEM Mahle but they are stronger and more powerful. Built or rebuilt?

I'd call it built, you're making a modification for strength.

I was reading through this thread for some inspiration, and came across this gem:

Well?
:rofl:

In all seriousness -great build. I can only hope to have a 240 as good as this. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I like low compression turbo cars.. but not everybody likes having headroom for sh!tty gas and lots of boost. ;-)

Seems like it's always something. Looking at the last exhaust shim that isn't broken yet, that broke last time. It's wearing pretty quickly as if once it's passed the base circle and headed up the opening ramp the spring pressure is givin it holy hell.. I may go with new springs lifters and cam. I've got some spring testing to do on Monday. Head looks pretty good. Noticed the wastegate line had been rubbed through, which explains why I kept thinking my MBC was a pile of ish. The rest of the head looks pretty good. I'm tempted to take the block out and swap the bad throwout bearing out thats been driving me crazy.. may as well. It's alot easier to get to the bellhousing bolts with the head off.

can you make some sense out of that last post? i have a bit of adhd but i couldnt even follow you jumping around like that.....

Long story short... I was about 500 miles from dropping a valve. When you attempt to triple a car's stock horsepower, you're gonna break stuff. My head is at the machine shop currently getting..

New intake valves and seats 46mm
New exhaust valves and seats 40mm
Hardened locks
New exhaust valve guides
Minor bowl work to blend the new seats into the ports
Robs old cam (super secret turbo cam)
New lifter shims

Hopefully with the correct MAP sensor on my car I can put a tune in that wont roast my valves or beat the piss outta the keepers and grooves.. and still make 300hp

I got my head back from the machine shop.. The valve job looks awesome. The pulled all the seats out and installed new seats for 46/40 valves.. They did all of the bowl and port blending work. It looks really good, can't wait to get it on. All of the valve springs checked out okay. The buckets were all replaced and I went to a shim thats almost twice as thick as the old shims, which should add some rigidity to the valvetrain while the shims are riding the opening ramp. Hopefully I'll get some time this afternoon and get everything cleaned up. Cant decide what color I wanna paint the block.. I'm partially leaning towards a Duplicolor wheel paint thats bronze.. I feel like I've seen enough red. I'll paint my forged built block red..

Got my Clutch back from the machine shop today. Flywheel looks like it'll live despite the surface cracking from having a rear main seal leak. I was kinda curious as to why after about 2000miles my clutch would still slip at the top of third where the tires usually light up. The block is now Duplicolor Bronze wheel paint color. Hopefully it'll hold up and not blister off like the last round of block painting antix. Once the block is done drying I'll chase down all of the threads and start installing the accessories that I've painted up so far. There isn't any snow in the forecast this week so hopefully I'll have some time to get it all together and checked over by this weekend to drive to Pa.

Got it running yesterday. Everything seems to be doing pretty well. Took a 2 hour midnight drive with no ill effects. Going from a K-cam to a real turbo cam sure makes a hell of a difference. I'll dump the oil today and retorque the head bolts. Looks like she's back in business and better than ever. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday I'll tune it on the dyno.. My RPM fuel maps arent bad, but the MAP fuel maps are kinda sketchy from the C2 cam swap.

Back