• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Tailpipe: L shape vs. S for 245

below the surface
My tailpipe is done. But it seems the L shape pipe is NLA. Does the S shape pipe fit in a wagon? Going by the pictures, it doesn't look like it would.

Anyone have an L pipe available?

I've been running an L tailpipe for almost 2 years now, I personally think it looks better sticking straight out instead of the extra S bends. I think I got it from eeuroparts, like $12 if I remember correctly.

I always figured that S was some complex airflow thing to keep exhaust out of the cabin.

I thought I read once that the ?s? shape was in case you reversed into something, the ?s? would take the brunt and bend saving the remainder of the exhaust.......

I always figured that S was some complex airflow thing to keep exhaust out of the cabin.

This is near to what I read: that the "S" pipe was to move the outlet off to the side of the wagon hatch to reduce the chance that exhaust gets sucked in, and the "L" pipe was for sedans.

The reason for the S pipe is to put the exhaust into the airflow stream going down the side of the car. That is a much better solution. The reason the tailgates on 240s rust out is because the exhaust gets trapped in the turbulence behind the car when the pipe goes straight out the back.

FCPeuro sells the S pipe. I just installed one on a 1993 245 today.

Back