• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 WagonRear squirter flow issue

jim_hoyland

90 240 Wagon
I finally replaced the rear window squirter after a long time. When I activate the switch, water kinda dribbles down then window. Cant remember how it worked before, but it seems weak.
Any tips on this will be greatly appreciated..:)

There is a check valve in the rear side compartment. It's common for the valve to build up crud inside and fail over the years. The valve is a single valve unlike the front which makes it the expensive one. :lol:

There is a check valve in the rear side compartment. It's common for the valve to build up crud inside and fail over the years. The valve is a single valve unlike the front which makes it the expensive one. :lol:

Thanks for the tip; exactly where will I find that check valve ?

Take the side cover off (non tire side) and look/feel around for the washer fluid hose. It may be out of sight above the opening. The check valve is a little black right angle fitting, about the size of a dime, just before the hose turns to go up to the squirter.

Mine's plugged solid - any tips on unplugging it? or finding a replacement?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-washer-hose-valve-9178897

8bee1b33ae902d234996f6fa9187566a.jpg

8bee1b33ae902d234996f6fa9187566a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The valve was easy to find, it?s held up by a small clip. I have the valve out. I tried blowing into the long end and no air passes through. I can draw some air up the short end.
It the valve shot ?

In the famous works of Dr. McCoy. "He's dead Jim." I've never been able to make one work again by blowing air through.

That's funny when I clicky on the link for Tasca from Hiperfauto the listing tells me it doesn't fit my 93 volvo. It's exactly the part that my car uses. Weird.

Thanks: I ordered a replacement. I think I burned-out the rear squirter pump when trying to use it.
Last month I installed a new squirter; didn’t know about the check valve at the time.

The rear pump was discontinued last time I tried to buy one. I bought a front one which is the same except they make the rear one with black plastic so you can tell them apart. So, when I bought the new replacement. I made it black with a sharpie. :lol:

The rear pump was discontinued last time I tried to buy one. I bought a front one which is the same except they make the rear one with black plastic so you can tell them apart. So, when I bought the new replacement. I made it black with a sharpie. :lol:

When I bought my replacement pumps they just sold me two identical ones. :e-shrug:

Received the new check valve today; but I have a question on how it works.
I can’t blow air (by mouth) through one end or the other; and, I can’t suck air either.
It’s part number 9178897-6 and labeled Pressure Valve on the invoice. Bought it from Volvo Gars Gilbert in Gilbert, AZ ( on-line).
Is this r
The way it normally works ?

It's supposed to act like a check valve. But there could be some pressure required to open the valve. There should be an internal spring holding it shut.

The original part number is 1304460. The linked to number in the tasca listing is the replacement. So it should be the correct part.

Pull the front wiper hose off the Ts under the hood, attach check valve and see if water comes through when your assistant hits the lever?

I haven't taken my blocked valve apart, but I'd guess that it has a little one-way valve using a spring and ball, or spring and flap, under the little hat that sits on the corner. In the above picture, I'd try blowing into the left side with compressed air, or with a temporary short hose direct to the pump.

[Beware of using high pressure compressed air on the actual in-car hoses -- I split open the valve-to-nozzle hose on my wagon trying to unclog it from the nozzle end.]

I still have to replace the pump. Check valve is in and the hose between the pump and check valve is clear
But, when I tried blowing air through the hose going to the squirter, it seemed hard. Should that new squirter be like that $
If the connection to the squirter was more accessible, I’d disconnect it to test.
I can’t remember the spray patter either, the last time it worked the water kinda dribbled onto the glass

Back