• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

OEM or Compatible turbochargers for my '91 940SE

bostonmcd

So, I bought this amazing wagon this spring and it's only defect was the turbo not working/needing replaced. After a quick search I found that a new turbo unit would cost almost as much as I got the vehicle for. What I'm wondering, is it cheaper to rebuild, replace, or bypass. (Not so much into the latter, I need the gains to help get me up some hills on the road.)
Are there any compatible chargers that will work on my poor dog of a wagon? Something much more affordable than the OEM turbos. I have the know how and space to replace on my own. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

So, I bought this amazing wagon this spring and it's only defect was the turbo not working/needing replaced. After a quick search I found that a new turbo unit would cost almost as much as I got the vehicle for. What I'm wondering, is it cheaper to rebuild, replace, or bypass. (Not so much into the latter, I need the gains to help get me up some hills on the road.)
Are there any compatible chargers that will work on my poor dog of a wagon? Something much more affordable than the OEM turbos. I have the know how and space to replace on my own. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Is the turbo a garrett T25 turbo or a Mitsubishi? You can find many used turbos for cheap. Lots of guys here will remove their factory sized turbos to upgrade them. Small oem redblock turbos sell for $100 to $200 in good condition, post a wanted ad.

I would definitely just install a used turbo, and consider upgrading to something more fun if you have that desire. I'll be coming through Montana on Friday actually. I've got a 91 940SE with a almost new Garrett T25 I was considering removing. But.. doubt I'll have the time to remove it before then.

It's probably a Garrett, I'll have to check to be sure though. How often do you come through Montucky? If you ever get around to removing it and are around, I'd be interested in purchasing from you!

If you are a bit more adventurous and have some tools you can buy a rebuilt center rotating housing and put your turbo housings on that. The easiest way to go is buying that rebuilt turbo offered above.

If the turbines aren't scraping the housings why not just get a rebuild kit, spend the hour it takes and have some turbo diesel shop balance it for you (less than $50) add a boost controller too I seem to remember those t25s being happy with more boost. Cheapest option but you will have some down time if its your only vehicle

Back