• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fitting ESR 17x8.5 wheels on a 242

volvo 4 life

I?m looking at buying a set of esr wheels. They?re 17x8.5 with 5x108 bolt pattern and 30mm offset according to the description and I?d like to run them on my 79 242. The car has 2 coils cut off the stock springs in front and I?m going to cut 1 out of the rears in the spring. Is there any possibility of these fitting and if so, what size spacers/adapters would I need? Thanks!! Here?s the link for reference https://www.ebay.com/itm/133661055995

So 20mm will be enough to clear the strut tower up front and still fit inside the fenders? Any idea what size tire I’d have to run? I would like to use 235/40-17’s if possible, seems like a very common size. Or 225/40-17, not really sure what would be best but I don’t want to stretch the sidewalls and would prefer not to cut/roll the fenders. I’ve tried searching for all of this info but it seems to be really specific depending on the exact wheels and specs of the wheels so it’s hard to know exactly what will work.

Lots of info on 240 wheel fitment out there. Look at specs of what others are running, do a little math and you can figure it out. FYI, you will almost certainly need to cut or roll the rear fenders

I don't think 225/40/17 exists other than dedicated autox tires. 235/40 isn't very tall and would be my choice. My advice is that if you're going to have to run spacers anyway, you may as well get the wheels in a more common bolt pattern like 114.3 and just adapt them. 5x108 stuff is a hard sell if you decide to get rid of them later.

That’s a good point, always good to think ahead. The 5x114.3 pattern is much more common for the esr wheels too which is also really nice. Looks like I’ll be ordering up a set and some 20mm spacers, I’ll update the thread once I have them installed so anyone else wanting to use them has the info. Thanks!

Back