• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Big Brake upgrade?

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I noticed there is a BIG brake upgrade on MVP for the 740's to the 960's brakes, do you guys think that would work for the 240 series?

-RoGz

You wouldn't want it anyways. 240 brakes are significantly better than 700/900. A set of rebuilt 4 pistons calipers, performance pads, and high performance rotors should strop you fine unless you are doing some pretty serious racing. 240's rock the world. :D

what places sell the metal master brake pads? I figure mine squeak anyways... might as well have ones that squeak for a reason.!!! :lol:

I don't think that my 240, even with stock pads, has ever given me bad braking... execpt that one time i was doing rapid 100-0 braking :)

Here in Australia people often fit stock 240 brakes to rodded domestic cars, such as V8 Holden's from the '60's. With vented rotors, good pads and a brake system in good condition you should be able to stop all but the most radically modded 240 without any trouble.

Upgrade what needs to be upgraded, brakes on the 200 series cars is not an area that needs to be upgraded. Only reason to upgrade the 200 series brakes is for racing or to say you have really big brakes.

The best streetable pads in my experience, and a lot of others too, is the Mintex C-Tech M1144 or M1155 compound brake pads. A British VW magazine did a brake pad test and the M1144 beat out all of the others which included some popular brands. As for regular daily driver pads the Mintex Red Box pads are a good choice also (for the wife's/kid's/parent's car). I will be using the Mintex C-Tech M1166 compound on my race car. Check out Sachs Racing's website for part no.'s.

http://www.sachsracing.com/

PBR/Axxis/Repco pads SUCK in my experience. I wouldn't support a company that uses asbestos in their products. Don't believe me, take another look at the PBR deluxe pads or the iPd catalog (printed in light gray as a background for the PBR Deluxe pad listing) That along with the ATE grooved discs, ATE Super Blue DOT 4+ brake fluid and the optimal Girling ventilated front/ATE solid rear setup. This will give you the largest swept area.

Something to keep in mind is just because iPd and others don't carry it doesn't mean it isn't available. Do some research and find out what is available on your own.

David
russelldb@hotmail.com

Nice post David.
One note, be careful anyone using higher than dot 4 on street cars, as some dot 5 fluids have silicone in them and absorb water like crazy.
I think Ford motorsport actually sells a street-based Dot 5 that is supposed to be awesome. weird eh?

Silicone brake fluid does not absorb water as opposed to regular fluid which is hydroscopic and does absorb water. Once you open a can of brake fluid it is reccomended to not reuse it at a later date, altho I would think you could reseal the can. Silicone brake fluids have other issues but water absorption is not one. Silicone brake fluids also do not damage paint. Dan242tic

Kenny,

Don't worry about my brake fluid selection or handling. ATE Super Blue is not a silicon DOT 5 fluid and silicon fluids do not absorb water (read Dan242tic's post). It is a great street fluid and club racing fluid, hence the DOT 4+. For my ITB 242 I will most likely be using Motul RBF 600 or Castrol SRF, both the best brake fluids available (Castrol is better but pricier). I can't imagine why you would want better brakes on a 200 series car. Most people don't know how to use their brakes properly anyways. Hence the thought that they need new brakes, not that they need to learn how to drive properly.

David
russelldb@hotmail.com

Ok cool. I thought I might have something turned around with all of that. But i thought I'd mention it so the truth could come out. :wink:
Once I have a car with more than 90hp, I'll probably be reading this all over again. :badboy:
But even so I can definitely tell, and agree, that 240's don't need much in the way of brake mods. Would be cool to set up a liquid cooling system like WRC cars have though... :mrgreen:
I think many racing sanctions have strict rules about that though...

Not to beat a dead horse... but volvo is known for it's brakes... the 240s used a binding setup similar to ferrari 308gts... the 850's were nearly identical to 348's ... pads, rotors s/b more than sufficiant.

Back