home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
howlett10

Default What is needed for a full manual swap in a 1990 Volvo 240?

Hello, everyone. I have a 1990 Volvo 240 which is automatic and Iíve decided that I want to manual swap it this winter, I have the proper lh2.4 flywheel and today I picked up an M46 transmission, Iím a noob when it comes to this stuff and will be getting a shop to do the swap because I want it done properly and not half assed. Anyways, other than the pressure plate, clutch, clutch cable & pedal box, what else do I need? Could somebody maybe give me a list of the other things I need and a list of things that I can buy off rockauto for the swap? Thank you so much.
howlett10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Drive shaft.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

New driveshaft support bearing and carrier. It is annoying when that goes, the race bangs off of everything making a crazy noise.

Not necessary but would be sweet to have is the STS Machining bronze bushings to replace the old plastic stuff. It kinda sucks to do a swap like that and have the shifter feel like a soup sandwich.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/prod...-240-740-volvo

Post in the wanted section for the M46 driveshaft. Probably a lot at a parts store. To maximize that investment, get new u joints, they are very inexpensive. Rockauto had them on sale for less than $5 each recently.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Not necessary but would be sweet to have is the STS Machining bronze bushings to replace the old plastic stuff. It kinda sucks to do a swap like that and have the shifter feel like a soup sandwich.
https://www.stsmachininginc.com/prod...-240-740-volvo
The bronze shifter bushings are worth it.

Get a new transmission mount. Volvo 164 engine mounts make a nice heavy duty upgrade for the M46/47. If you haven't encountered worn out engine/transmission mounts it will happen to you soon.

I agree with new u joints and the support bearing. You shouldn't be annoyed by new noises that way.

I would also replace the oil in the transmission while it is out of the car. A bit easier to do that way. Check all the gaskets and make sure you don't have catastrophic leaks. I think the M46 takes some standard of ATF (type F?).

Last edited by spock345; 09-23-2020 at 10:46 AM..
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Other than the obvious move everything over from a parts car solution...

M46 specific shift knob and complete M46 OD wiring / & relay, pilot bearing & circlip, clutch fork, rubber bellows shifter boot, metal sheathed clutch cable, dog dish / 740 turbo clutch kit, and make sure the M46 short shaft is not the earlier smaller diameter one.

New driveshaft bolts or at least new nylock nuts as they tend to get rounded off with use, depends.

https://www.ipdusa.com/catalog.asp?C...=&searchwords=

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote