• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

from 3.73 to 4.10. how bad?

240Psycho

still trying
So i just got a free rear end from Steve-o740 from his 740 that had 4.10 in the rear. my current rear end ratio is something like 3.73 i think?

Anyway, i was thinking about swapping and right now my car cruise's nicely just under 3k at 80, how bad would this be with the 4.10 in the rear?

any thoughts about this with the AW70 4 speed?

Im thinking about picking up a broken T5 trany from Steve as well and rebuilding that, you think the 4.10 would be best suited to go with the T5?

Depends... you'll have more pickup. IIRC, the 740 GLE 16v has the 4.10 rear and at 85 I'm doing 3.5k, just over 3k @ 80. So not too much of a difference...

hell yes i'd go with the 4.1, any day any time. ESPECIALLY with the T5.

this is turbobricks, if you want gearing advice 90% of people here will lead you astray, with statements like "but the getrag is cheap and strong.."

but i guess it boils down to this: would you rather get bitchin mileage on the freeway, or have far better pickup in town, along with better city mileage and the ability to stay in the powerband with every shift?

yeah. easy decision if you ask me.

turboluv said:
hell yes i'd go with the 4.1, any day any time. ESPECIALLY with the T5.

this is turbobricks, if you want gearing advice 90% of people here will lead you astray, with statements like "but the getrag is cheap and strong.."

but i guess it boils down to this: would you rather get bitchin mileage on the freeway, or have far better pickup in town, along with better city mileage and the ability to stay in the powerband with every shift?

yeah. easy decision if you ask me.

i like you:-D

thanks, it settled and while im at it ill order a true track, yay i have another unfinished project

240Psycho said:
i like you:-D

thanks, it settled and while im at it ill order a true track, yay i have another unfinished project
You'll like it if you get a T5 with the 2.95 first.
Or maybe the 3.37 first if you have hills, but don't think you haave many eh.

AVOID the Ford T5s from Thunderchickens and Mooos-angsts with 2.3s

John V said:
You'll like it if you get a T5 with the 2.95 first.
Or maybe the 3.37 first if you have hills, but don't think you haave many eh.

AVOID the Ford T5s from Thunderchickens and Mooos-angsts with 2.3s

am i hearing this right, you said AVOID Ford t5s? what trany did the xr4ti's have?

if im picking one up it will either be from a friend with a 91 transam GTA or one from a 2.3 mustang, i guess ill choose the gm t5 thanks

and your right, no hills.

The only problem i have now is swapping guts from one pumpkin to another? is this a weekend job? do i have to shim anything? diffs are a new thing to me, cause i have yet to break one (add laughter here)

240Psycho said:
am i hearing this right, you said AVOID Ford t5s? what trany did the xr4ti's have?

if im picking one up it will either be from a friend with a 91 transam GTA or one from a 2.3 mustang, i guess ill choose the gm t5 thanks

and your right, no hills.

The only problem i have now is swapping guts from one pumpkin to another? is this a weekend job? do i have to shim anything? diffs are a new thing to me, cause i have yet to break one (add laughter here)

I said avoid the Ford T5s from 2.3 Thunderchickens and Moose-angst.
Their 1st gear ratios are like 3.97 and 4.08.
Massive gap between 2nd and 3rs, as bad as a Volvo box.

Try and get a Camaro V8 or a Ford with the 2.95 first.
Better gearstick position with the GM variant.

Xratty manual trans is called "Type 9" a pretty good box----if anybody ever kept oil in them and if they were'nt driven by guys with liitle dicks revving the motor to 6000 before side stepping the clutch.

Swapping ring gear is easy, swapping the pinion is something best left to a real shop.

towerymt said:
How is that?

beacuse if your gears are close and your shifts put you in the powerband (or at least closer to it if you're not getting on it) your engine doesnt have to work as hard.

kinda like how a 240 with modest lightening weighs the same as my jetta did , but i got 9 miles a gallon better under any and all conditions that a similar 240. this comparison works for kjet jetta/240 or LH2.4/digifant-II, where LH is the superior system.

eh, but in general, for any given speed, your engine is turning higher rpms, which means it is using more fuel all the time

i hear what youre saying, but it doesnt contribute that much

No one's mentioned tire size yet. What size rear tire are you running? I have a 4.10 in my GT and I like it. Of course, I'll always run pretty big tires in the rear. 225/40/18 or 235/40/17. I did drive an hours worth on the freeway with Towerys 205/50/15s on the rear. Yikes. I couldn't do that every day. We were crusing at 80 and I was spinng 4k on the tach in OD.

242GTMD said:
No one's mentioned tire size yet. What size rear tire are you running? I have a 4.10 in my GT and I like it. Of course, I'll always run pretty big tires in the rear. 225/40/18 or 235/40/17. I did drive an hours worth on the freeway with Towerys 205/50/15s on the rear. Yikes. I couldn't do that every day. We were crusing at 80 and I was spinng 4k on the tach in OD.
You have 3.91, no? When did it change?

If you do a lot of highway driving, forget about the 4.10. My Brick is my daily driver and I do a lot of commuting on freeways during the week. Gas is $~2.80/gal over here, and a 4.10 would just make visits to the pump that much worse.

ok. if you get a T5 with a .76 5th (which is right in the middle of the possible 5th ratios) with a 4.1 rear gives you 2526rpm at 60. (calculated at 205/55/16 tires)

this doesnt sound at all unreasonable to me...

Back