• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 245 NA. Direct replacement solid aluminum radiator available?

prometheus_aflame

Car: 1990 245 DL NA

I am considering purchasing this radiator from Do88:

https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/volvo-240-740-940-manual-75-98-radiator.html

It looks like a great radiator, but is missing the fittings for the transmission cooler lines on the passenger side of the radiator. I am running a stock 245 and I am not in need of anything crazy since it's still running the OG motor with 251k on the odometer. Has anyone installed this radiator on their 240? If so, I'm interested in how a separate trans cooler installation looks, what cooler is used, and where the thermostatic radiator switch would be installed. I'm trying to find a solid aluminum radiator that has all of the stock fittings for a direct drop-in replacement, but I haven't found anything thus far. Input is appreciated.

A Be Cool or Griffin radiator from Summit Racing would be your ticket. They can be had with or without trans coolers. The fittings at your transmission are 5AN straight cut so you might need to run some new transmission lines to your all metal radiator but you'd be looking at like 20 dollars in fittings and maybe 20 dollars in hose.

That do88 radiator is about 300 dollars before shipping across the ocean. The Be Cool unit in my red car was like 225 dollars and shipped free from Summit.

You can use literally any aftermarket trans cooler and it'll be perfect. Also perfect time to buy D088 stuff because of their sale through the 10th.

And if I'm looking at the pictures correctly, it has the bung for the thermo switch, it's just plugged with a hex plug. Is your thermo switch threaded? If so buy with confidence.

I had a D088 radiator that I bought for my V70 and I never installed it, was waiting for a leak. Then I sold it when I was unemployed, and a few months later got a job and a new V70R, and regretted ever selling it. Quality piece of hardware.

On the other hand, Marvelous3's advice is not bad either. The trans cooler lines are not particularly high pressure, I repaired a cracked one with a piece of fuel line and 2 hose clamps and it lasted for 125k miles. So modding them is easy.

Back