• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Different intake manifold

One last point (since what I have proposed has caused me monetary loss).

Shaving the head sixty thousandths and dropping in a VX cam effectively makes the engine interference.

You have been made privy. Now, go have fun ;-) (and make sure your tensioner is new AND tight)

Another TB myth long ago shown by simple numbers to be untrue..Chamer is more than 13mm deep, gasket anythere from 1 to 1,2mm deep.

Valve would have to be open more than 14mm --shaved 1.5 it would be valve opened at /near TDC more than 12mm..
And with inline valves--inline with bore, all I have ever seen is you push the valve closed and ONCE--on a different engine, revved way past 7600...contact resulted in a bent pushrofd and no other damage..

Anybody who knows anything about when valves begin to lift can see even with radical cams the lift at TDC might be 2,5 to 3,5mm max--a LONG way to go..
How can valve hit pistons 8-10-11mm away?

Any other things the "truthiness" :roll:of which you'd like to discuss?

Agreed. Three additional points.

1. VX Cam from IPD
2. Base timing 14? BTDC
3. Open up the exhaust. 2 1/4" pipe minimum.

Isn't VX cam just a lobe from one Volvo emissions cam on one side and another on the other?

In other words just another limp-dick girly-man cam??

I'm really baffled at why THIS FORUM...Performance forum seems not only to be unaware of performance cams, but downright resistant to even discussing them..
Evidently it seems to be some kind of admission of inexperience....

Another TB myth long ago shown by simple numbers to be untrue..Chamer is more than 13mm deep, gasket anythere from 1 to 1,2mm deep.

Valve would have to be open more than 14mm --shaved 1.5 it would be valve opened at /near TDC more than 12mm..
And with inline valves--inline with bore, all I have ever seen is you push the valve closed and ONCE--on a different engine, revved way past 7600...contact resulted in a bent pushrofd and no other damage..

Anybody who knows anything about when valves begin to lift can see even with radical cams the lift at TDC might be 2,5 to 3,5mm max--a LONG way to go..

Not untrue actually. The uncut had on my turbo car was close enough to interference with the IPD turbo cam that it left indentations in the Carbon when the timing belt jumped two teeth.

The cut head on the rally car with a k-cam... definitely interference. Verified during assembly by the valves hitting the piston.

Id get a different ring and pinion setup over exhaust, intake, cam any day.
What gears do you have now?
I have 4:11 on a completely stock 245 and it'll spin the tires off the line like nothing.

More thanks for all contributed info. My main goal was just to make it a little more fun. I don't need a tire burner, my very senior brain can't react fast enough if something goes wrong. Car has a hp22 slush box (sorry John) 3.73 gears 185/65 tires. Stock exhaust. My normal driving route is almost perfect for good mpg.

Dude, I like you usually.

However, you're being obstinate for no reason.

I shaved my head .060 and tried multiple cams. I happened to like the VX.

One day getting out of the car, my foot slipped off clutch pedal putting car into neutral. The car lunged violently. Upon restarting it, all it would do is 'click'.

Towed it home, pulled the head. Found two bent valves. Now, how pray-tell did those valves get bent if it were not for lobe lift jacking the valves into the incoming pistons???

PS, I met Kenny and Sam in this car - with this motor.

Sam couldn't believe the car wasn't turbocharged. I actually had the NA motor in a turbo chassis. Car was at least as quick as a turbo plus car.

What kind of static compression do you get when you shave .060?

Regrettably, I have no idea. Hesco the shop that shaved, ported and did valve work on the head said somewhere around eleven. We didn't CC it (I didn't really care).

the aforementioned k-jet b21f manifold is probably about as good as it gets for OEM 8v intakes. the b230f intake isn't really a great piece (although, if you look, the runners are not short at all)

I'm not sure it's worth 30hp over the b230f intake, in fact I have a hard time believing that on an otherwise stock setup. I do know that opening up the exhaust and making sure everything is in good mend will result in a car that does better than average, and K-cam'd cars that are still more or less stock have on more than one occasion turned the rollers up close to what a bone stock late model turbo car does (although, not quite as much midrange torque).

If possible, turn up the base timing until it starts to ping on whatever fuel you run, back it off a degree or two, and see how that goes. There is sadly no free lunch.

The best bang for the buck is a +T, regardless of what the ol windbag(s?) up there says. Having built and tuned several(dozen, in fact), they're hard to beat for around the town fun on a mostly oem vehicle. On otherwise stock stuff, the boost limitations are very similar to a normal FT.

Keep in mind, even some of the more vocal participants here are doing nothing more than spouting off about what other people have said and done both for and against whatever it is they're railing about. Your best bet is to figure out what direction you want to go in, and find someone who actually did it, and talk to them about the pros, cons, pitfalls, and gotchas that sometimes (oftentimes) get left out online, or over exaggerated.

oh and incidentally, john V is right about the cams... pretty much the only cams that are really worth a **** come from overseas these days.

To be clear, "turbo plus" is not F+T.

Turbo plus was an intercooler added at dealership plus an additional 2-3psi.

F+T would likely have knocked this motors dick in the dirt. (At least the way they crank the boost up around here.)

Every 0.010" you shave off a 530 head is worth right about 1cc of combustion chamber volume, or approx. 0.18:1 compression point. The more you shave, the less you get due to the shape of the chamber. Also know that despite the advertised 9.8:1 compression, they measure out to about 9.1:1, so upping compression should really be step one with anything beyond an A or maybe B cam.

I had 0.040" whacked off the head in my '91 245, it's at 9.7:1 with an A. Get a little shift detonation with top tier 87 sometimes, depending on atmospheric conditions so it might be a little much. Runs properly on 92/93.

Back