• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any experience with philips h656 LED headlights?

daniels740

I need something brighter for my '89 740 with quad-headlights.

Now, I don't know very much at all about headlights, beam patterns, this and that, so I wanted to ask you guys what you think. You can see them compared to stock in the video below. Anyone have experience with them or other LED lamps?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ATr3AnfcMZE?start=625" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was thinking about getting only a pair of the h656 low-beams for my 740 because of their price. They're ~$85 dollars each from Rockauto, certainly not bad compared to over $100 for the same headlights from other sellers. Don't know if they're worth it, though... also don't know how they will change the look of the car..

What have you guys done in order to be able to see at night with the anemic quad-headlight setup; does it look like LED's are the way to go?

In addition to getting better lights. I've added the relays so there is more voltage going to the lights. I used the H4 headlight harness that Summit Racing sells. Now I use 100w low beams and 90 watt high beam H4 bulbs.

I'm sure the high quality LED lights are going to be an improvement but you do have to pay to play with the good stuff. $85 each light isn't bad as you say. If you buy the Euro H4 and H1 headlights you'd be spending that kind of money, too.

I'm thinking that LED's draw less anyway, eliminating the need for upgraded wiring while still outputting more light. Anyway, aesthetics are important to me, just as they are to Murploid1, which is another part of the reason why I chose this bulb to ask about, as it is one of the only 4*6 led headlights that looks acceptable. Do you guys think they would look bad installed next to regular 'ol sealed beams?
H4656LED__ra_p.jpg

I think they look a whole lot better than the non-reflector designs of other lights. Haven't seen them in person, though.

Those look nice. I would still consider relays for more voltage applied to the lighting circuit. Powerful LED lights aren't that low in current draw.

Hardest part was finding a level slab in front of a wall at the recommended distance. After that, it was easy. I'm reasonably sure you can easily find specs on the web?

Where is improvement needed, long range, road sides, dark roads, high speeds, hills, wild animals, humans, road conditions? Perhaps specialized auxiliary lights?

Last edited:
Where is improvement needed, long range, road sides, dark roads, high speeds, hills, wild animals, humans, road conditions? Perhaps specialized auxiliary lights?

I see objects ahead of me great, but the actual road is barely lit by the headlights in locations where there's no other lighting. For example, animals crossing at night, medians, etc. are all things I really struggle to see at night with this car only.

Now that you mention specific things, I do notice that I light up reflective signs like stop signs from quite the distance, perhaps my lights are pointed too high up?

Also thanks, tintintin, I'll try to follow that guide, hopefully I am able to locate a wall I can use. Thanks again.

Be sure to lubricate the adjustment screws with some penetrating oil. If you do consider auxiliary lights. Check out the Bosch Touring lights. They are classified as Auxiliary headlights and are legal to use all the time. Hella used to make XL lights that were classified like that. NOS sets turn up on ebay once in a while. I've used the Hella version and they were great.

Quick check (for small animals). When you pull up behind a sedan are the low beams illuminating just the rear or going over the top of the trunk?

Quick check (for small animals). When you pull up behind a sedan are the low beams illuminating just the rear or going over the top of the trunk?

I see the light from my left light on the backside of most cars, but the right I assume it pointing too low. I'll look more into it when it gets dark tonight.

Yup, my right headlamp is pointed too much downward, my left is just fine. Thankfully, the adjustment screws look to be nice and corrosion-free. Might tackle the adjustment tomorrow, if I am able to find a nice and straight driveway and wall, which I've already got one in mind.

If I am still disappointed with my lights after doing so, I will get the LED's. I'm sure they're only going to get cheaper over time, though.

Back