• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 has retrofitted ac, just a few questions

LeMansGTi

So, recently bought a 1988 240 and right by the hood latch it has a sticker saying it was retrofitted back in 2005. not sure when it was last charged but it doesnt blow out cold air.

It does have what looks like the ac recharger inlet. Now, do I just buy a recharging kit from the local auto part store, attach and recharge and done. I assume there is a certain quantity? And how long do these recharges work for? couple summers or it is charge every summer?

This would be my first time doing such a thing and figured I would ask here. Granted Now we are getting better weather none the less. haha

a>

a>

thank you

Interesting how they attached an extender hose to the fill port on the back of the compressor. Never seen that. In theory you could just add the 134a from the store and be done with. I don't recall how much you need to add but others will chime in or Google it. But the real issue is that there is a leak somewhere in the system. I would start right where they added that hose.

Interesting how they attached an extender hose to the fill port on the back of the compressor. Never seen that. In theory you could just add the 134a from the store and be done with. I don't recall how much you need to add but others will chime in or Google it. But the real issue is that there is a leak somewhere in the system. I would start right where they added that hose.

How can you tell there is a leak from the picture? Or are you asking me if there is a leak?

Refrigerant is like blood, if you're losing some you have a problem. Can't tell if you have a leak but I have noticed that there are usually leaks around the fill ports when conversions are done. Most of the time it's a poorly installed valve. The fill port has schrader valve in it . The conversion port also has one. I've seen where shops forget to remove the one so basically valve on valve = leak. I could be wrong. Fill system with 134a with dye and using a black light check for leaks.

There is a little more to getting an AC system working than throwing in a can of R134a. At a very minimum you need to know the static and running low pressure values to have a clue as to how much Freon to add. Too much won't work any better than too little.

What ever you do DO NOT put any stop leak in the system. Only used car lots do that to cover their 'Out of Sight' warranty.

When you turn the AC on does the compressor clutch engage?

If not put in a can of R134a and see if that causes the compressor to engage.

Beyond that best to seek some professional help or purchase a pressure meter and do some reading on what it all means.

Refrigerant is like blood, if you're losing some you have a problem.

I'm not sure I would make that analogy.

There is an acceptable standard of leakage per year that each hose and fitting are rated for.

Knowing this, it can be said that even a correctly retrofitted and serviced system will eventually lose charge.

I would have the system serviced by someone who can vacuum down, inject dye and add the proper amount of refrigerant.

Then, schedule a follow-up visit with the shop after a week or so of driving and have them determine the severity of the leakage.

Rent manifold gauges and vacuum pump. See what the low pressure side is at. Does clutch engage? If not it’s most likely low on refrigerant (not Freon. R12 is Freon, r134a is not). Vacuum the system down for 30 minutes and see if the system can hold vacuum for an hour or so. If it does it’s probably okay to charge. YouTube how to do that.

The charge you put in is basically good forever until it leaks out or something fails.

If the ac hasn’t worked in a long time it’s a good idea to replace the receiver drier before vacuuming and recharging. They are $15-$20. In bad enough situations, the desiccant will burst and contaminate the entire system. Then you’re in for a real treat.

1988 won’t have a pusher fan so make sure your fan clutch is in good shape, or install a pusher fan from a 91+ car.

Back