• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Texas240 was 16v but now LM7 5.3L

Started prepping for paint. Welded in a few holes, not all of them but the ones you notice the most. Not going for show quality here but close to how stock looked before add on's and what nots.

Primed over bare metal areas and the few surface rust this car has engine bay wise. Wont get to paint till next monday or so. Weather dependent of course.

I ment the notched hole that you had for the turbo, going to fill that back in?

Nope, it crossed my mind but Im going to leave that as a remembrance of the young stupid self I was. The sheet metal that was there is now flipped so I haven't noticed any strength issues

How much did you have to pay for the 5.3/trans if you don't mind sharing.

$1500 for everything including accessories, harness, dbw pedal, tac box and the harness.

Few updates:

Harness is boxed up and ready to be shipped out except that some how some way the type of flat rate box got the switch aroo so I have two boxes with the wrong rate on them. F*ck!!!!!

Customized the DBW (drive by wire) pedal from the avalanche to work with the space provided in the 240. This was rather easy except that my welder wire speed is all screwed up but was able to get it to work.

Stock pedal vs. Avalanche Pedal

Modified Pedal:

Pedal Installed w/ tac computer and harness

Pedal feel is good and is in just about the same spot the 240 pedal was. I sliced off the 240 pedal right below the pivot point and welded it to the avalanche pedal below its pivot point. I added some metal under the avalanche pedal box and drilled two holes to mount on the stock bolt holes in the firewall. Trying to avoid putting more holes in this car engine bay wise.

Today was a gorgeous 60? in Dallas and decided I was going to paint the engine bay with my dad. Spent about 20 hours on prep work and an hour on painting. Used a PPG Omni Acrylic Enamel paint with a medium reducer and an extra cap full of hardener on a 8:1:1 mix.

We thought about ditching the hand held Prevel aerosol canisters for my touch up gun I use for painting scenery. Due to some tight spaces behind the strut towers and being a bit on the lazy side, we thought the results came out rather good. Had one spot where I got a little overzealous and a few runs but was able to blend in with a few extra coats to not be so seen.

Progress has been slow. Didn't get motor and trans mounts till a few weeks ago. Engine and trans went in last weekend. Clearance is unbelievable close and took a good 2 hours to get the engine. If I knew it would of been easier to take off the intake manifold I would of done that off the bat.

Bottom of the oil pan hits the top of the sway bars. Will have to space the sways off a good 1/4" from the front cross member bar. Top of bell housing at the block barely misses the top of the trans tunnel. The back passenger corner of the trans oil pan hits under the body. Will be spacing the trans cross member down 3/4" while using the energy suspension mount should space down enough to cover clearance issues.

Hoping that this spacing helps with the steering column hitting/ touching the exhaust manifold.

Going to need to do some trimming on the top of the intake manifold. Hood won't close all the way.

Sorry if you posted, but what trans is that?

4l60e. Made some 3/4" aluminum spacers along with using 31108 energy suspension trans mount to get enough clearance from not hitting the trans tunnel. I also had to make 1/4" spacer for the sway bar as it was hitting the bottom of the oil pan. The last thing to fix clearance wise the steering column shaft needs to be moved up 1/4" as it is hitting the exhaust manifold.

Well....... This swap has been more of a pain then anything. There has been fitment issues from the gecko, over spending to solve said fitment issues and over due replacement of 24 year old parts. Luckily issues that I had on the 16v have been the opposite. AC compressor fits like a glove has needed zero clearancing or slicing of bracket. It could not fit any better.

Top radiator hose was an issue till I did some google research and found that Gates 22352 water hose fits as if this would of been a volvo swap part from the factory if they did a LS option.

Steering shaft rubbing was the big issue. I ended up moving the steering rack over an inch to the drivers side readjusting the tie rod ends enough to get me to the alignment guy. Hood is about 1/4" from rubbing on the truck manifold.

Front end is back on and hood latches which was a pain in the ass. Some how manage to adjust the hood pin wrong and took about an hour to get my hood unlatched. Exhaust went in pretty well. Dual 2.5" Y'd into a 3" after the transmission made from 304L stainless with a single SS magnaflow free flowing muffler. No cat this time. Car has one more year on the sniffer and it should pass without and if doesnt I have a guy that will pass it.

Only thing left is finish engine grounds, battery grounds. hook up modified 5.3L harness inside the cab, run 12v to fuel pumps, find out why my brake pedal no longer goes back to zero and whys its making a popping sound. Along with headlights and small **** that will come as I remember.

Was hoping I would be able to trim the stock avalanche coolant hose to work. That wasn't going to happen so I found this hose and worked out great.

About 1/4" of space between 940 efan and water pump pulley

almost there

when your water pump eats it, you can get an L99 (new ~2010 camaro) water pump and a shorter radiator hose if you like, as it puts the outlet over on the driver's side. all the other stuff is spaced out correctly and in the right location.

when your water pump eats it, you can get an L99 (new ~2010 camaro) water pump and a shorter radiator hose if you like, as it puts the outlet over on the driver's side. all the other stuff is spaced out correctly and in the right location.

We looked at that as an option. When this pump eats itself I'll being a double pass radiator with the in/outlets on the passenger side.

isn't that rad hose going to be in the way of the intake???

looks badass though, I really want an LS for my 92 245...

Back