home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #51
schaff70
Board Member

My wife found it on ETSY.com - I've never been on the site, but it seems like they have everything. I ordered 2 12" x 24" sheets in case I screwed it up.

Install is pretty easy, remove trim from the car. The chrome strip comes off, but be careful not to break the tabs holding it on. It doesn't take a lot to release the chrome. Make sure you have a sharp knife, cut a piece large enough to wrap about 1/4" or less over the top. The chrome will hold the top in place. The bottom I just trimmed even with the base because it's hidden once it's installed.
Using a heat gun or hair dryer will help shape it around the corner pieces.

Make sure you clean the trim before applying the vinyl. You can help it stick a little more by heating it up a little bit once it's on.
schaff70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #52
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Etsy is eBay for "handmade" stuff. Same company. But they do have lots of good stuff. The trim did come out nice.
soclosenotnear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #53
schaff70
Board Member

Spent a lot of the weekend cleaning. First weekend I had the car I polished out the paint and applied a coat of good wax each weekend after. I'll continue to do this for the next few weeks - weather permitting.

Painted the front chin spoiler and the rear apron black with some bumper and trim paint. Got the driver side window posts painted in satin black, ran out of energy to finish the passenger side. I need to pull the e-codes out so I can wrap some black vinyl on the turn signal top trim. Painted the steel wheels with a quick couple coats of glossy black after some serious scrubbing. I don't know if I should paint the lower plastic door trim or just remove it and run a vinyl stripe across the bottom. There are only a couple holes holding each piece on, but I don't want to pull the door trim without knowing what to do with the rear fender trim.

Tirerack.com has basic Rallyarmor mud flaps for under $20 and I kind of want to install a set, but I haven't decided yet. Tires are getting mounted on the gold BBS wheels this week while I'm in Houston and I'll bring them back with me to San Antonio. I found the correct adapters, I just haven't ordered them.

You can't really see it from these pictures, but I ran some glossy carbon fiber vinyl between the tail lights and behind the license plate. Throwback to my old 16v 740, I've always liked that look.

I'm also bringing back the strut inserts, strut reinforcement plates, egg crate grille and the bike tray for the roof rack from Houston this weekend. The inner and outer tie rods and ball joints arrived last week too.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #54
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Wow that car is absolutely stellar!
'92 245 - Semi-daily, soon to be garaged and +T'd
'97 854R - New daily
'06 XC90 V8 - Family/Grocery Hauler - Wifemobile
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace
DMFWallace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #55
schaff70
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
Wow that car is absolutely stellar!
Notice I'm not showing the driver side with the wavy rear quarter panel. I think every panel has a dent or a ding in it - even the driver side C pillar - but it cleans up pretty good. Never going to be a show car, but I'm having fun with it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #56
schaff70
Board Member

I forgot to mention. I've been on the lookout for an affordable set of old school halogen driving lights for close to 6 months now. Bid on a few sets of used lights, but I'm only willing to go so far as I know how much they are new.

I did pick up a pair of Hella Jumbo 220s for $18 each as singles, but after they showed up they were too jumbo. So much that the bottom of the light housing was below the front spoiler. I found a set of the Hella Micro FF lights at one point for $88, but it wasn't in the budget at the time.

I always have a running list of items on Amazon, car parts, bike parts, etc. and was watching a set of Hella Comet 550 as a kit ($76) and single lights (not in a kit) at $33 each.

Saturday night while doing some early Christmas shopping I checked my list as the prices fluctuate from time to time and found this :

Needless to say I bought 2 then promptly texted a select group of friends to swoop in and buy the remaining 7. I just need to pick up some covers and a wiring kit.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #57
schaff70
Board Member

One step closer.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #58
Vol242vo
Board Member

Those BBSs are going to look great, clean 244!

Click Here for Project Thread
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:21 AM   #59
centason
Wine enemas for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaff70 View Post

One step closer.
Gold centers. You're going to become the envy of TB.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Just remember this guys. Im related to cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
they were pushing sloppy poo up a steep hill with a pointy stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:48 AM   #60
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
Gold centers. You're going to become the envy of TB.
Only if he sells for $800

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #61
Janspeed
Board Member

realy nice car! would it be possible to pop on some old style small chrome hubcaps?
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #62
schaff70
Board Member

K&N filter arrived on Wednesday, but I was in Houston until Saturday evening. Got it installed this afternoon with a shoutout to Rectilinear for shipping it already cleaned with fresh oil.

Had an idea for a lighting mod floating around in my head for a while and when I dropped a big order on Amazon for the roof rack I threw a set of LED strip lights in with it. It came in a set of 3 for under $9 and they're waterproof.

I took down the trunk light and hooked a jumper connection to both the + & - leads to the light. The trunk light is triggered by a plunger switch when the trunk is raised. Checked the correct connections with a test light and had to run a short extension for the furthest light. Lights are held up with double sided tape and hardly draw any power. The only downside was the included wires coming from the lights are super thin, so I had to strip back a good length of the insulation to make sure they wouldn't come loose from the quick connects.

Installed one on each side of the trunk lid and now I have enough light to see everything in the trunk.

I ran all the wires for the fog lights, but my lights still haven't shown up yet. Looks like they'll be here on Wed. I even discovered a factory fog light switch stashed away in my parts hoard in the shed.

The back of the truck was full on our trip from Houston. Brought back the strut inserts, reinforcing plates, egg crate euro grille, BBS wheels, VX cam plus some other odds & ends to keep me busy.

Here's a link to the lights I ordered if anybody is interested. Total install was less than 30 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better photo of how well the trunk is lighted with the LEDs in a dim garage.

Last edited by schaff70; 11-28-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Old 11-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #63
schaff70
Board Member

So I got hit skipped by a guy with road rage on the way to work this morning. Lighting was pretty poor, I'm still trying to get a clear image of his license plate from the video. Asshat was weaving in & out of traffic behind me with his high beams on and wound up behind me pretty close. I tapped the brake with my foot still on the gas to warn him. He then passed me on the right and swerved into my lane clipping my front corner. No damage aside from some scrapes to the bumper cover and a buster corner lens. I've already ordered a replacement.

Once I get his license plate I'm going to track him down and file a claim on his policy. I have a few connections.

From what I can see from the video he's stuck with a hole in his rear bumper corner. He was in a Pontiac Vibe - lots of plastic.

EDIT :

Got a screen capture of the other guy and working on uploading the video clip. Can't get a clear view of his license plate though. Check out the angle of his rear wheel after the impact. LOL

Last edited by schaff70; 11-29-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 12-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #64
schaff70
Board Member

Now with more plaid. One step closer to achieving ludicrous speed.