home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Rig0ur

Default 1990 240DL wagon

We just picked up our very first volvo! It's a 1990 wagon with around 208k miles and the odometer is still ticking up.

I am primarily an e39 BMW enthusiast, and my wife really really wanted a 240 wagon as her car so on the hunt we went. These things are hard to find though!

A gray one with the tan/yellowish vinyl interior popped up on craigslist for $1350. It runs and drives after it had been sitting for about 2 years. It had been side swiped in the time it sat so the passenger side front/rear doors took a hit. It did very minimal damage to the rear quarter panel though. The owner did not provide very many details, but did say it was garage kept at some point in this time. The passenger front window was down and stuck down so i think there is some truth to this. Car was side swiped, broke the window/regulator so they garaged it. I see no signs of water damage on the interior of the car.

I was the first one to view the car and ended up giving them the full $1350 because it looks like an excellent rust free example that just needs a little love. Several people were interested as well. Clean title! I drove it about 40 miles home on the interstate and the worse part was the off-center shaky steering and swaying of this giant brick on the road. It held up pretty well at 60-70mph. Anymore than that and I probably would have approached my own demise..

I am not a volvo guy at all so I don't know all the specifics of these cars so that's why I am here!

So far I can conclude there is no rust on this car so that's a plus! The bad news is it really needs some help...

The rear end crashes very hard on small bumps, the bushings are all worn out, shocks completely gone, the motor is leaking coolant from the water pump area, steering is all over the place, oil is covering the undercarriage, and so on...BUT IT RUNS AND DRIVES! It's just not safe enough to put my kids in yet.

Anyways - Pics, only showing the good side at this point

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137312.../shares/59LESZ

^I will probably just update this flickr link as I accumulate the pictures. Unless there is an actual way to host them on this site?

Last edited by Rig0ur; 12-07-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Rig0ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Rig0ur

I began the troubleshooting on the passenger front window and have so far just concluded the motor is dead. I tried moving switches around/cleaning contacts, and every window works except this one. Since it was stuck down I had to release the glass from the regulator and just ziptied it in place for now. I removed the motor from the regulator and tried the switches again and was able to get the motor to move in reverse for a few seconds, now it wont do anything at all. The wires to power it are soldered on so I assume it either has a bad connection, or the motor is just done for. Good news is the window is up! but it doesnt really matter since its in the garage...and im about to rip out the entire rear suspension and order parts so she will be sitting for a bit.

One thing I know for certain - This car is a massive step down when you have been troubleshooting/repairing a BMW for the past few years. It's kinda nice to know it won't be as stressful. I can actually enjoy the restoration at this pace.

Last edited by Rig0ur; 12-07-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
thismachine13
Board Member

Welcome to the club! Get ready for lots of reading and research. I've got an '89 that I've been going through myself. If you have any questions ask away. Overall it's a helpful forum.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
KeizerBrickGuy
Board Member

Welcome. Depending on where you're located finding parts is fairly easy and simple to attain to fix the collision damage. These cars are incredibly easy to troubleshoot on, compared to BMWs and todays cars. Definitely get it to Stage 0 and replace the water pump as that is the quickest way to fix that(might as well flush and fill the system, new t-stat too). Glad you've got some basic knowledge and skills to correct these simple issues that are common to these cars!
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Rig0ur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Welcome. Depending on where you're located finding parts is fairly easy and simple to attain to fix the collision damage. These cars are incredibly easy to troubleshoot on, compared to BMWs and todays cars. Definitely get it to Stage 0 and replace the water pump as that is the quickest way to fix that(might as well flush and fill the system, new t-stat too). Glad you've got some basic knowledge and skills to correct these simple issues that are common to these cars!
Ill get a pic of the damage up soon, but at this point I think i can beat most of the dents out with the door panels off and a piece of wood. Atleast make it look a little better than it does. Down the road if we decide to paint it I will source two doors for the passenger side.

I do have questions though:

1. Does anyone on this forum rent out the tool to replace the trailing arm bushing? It's just going to be a daily for my wife and kids. Research tells me to stick with rubber bushings and not the poly ones which are easier to install.

2. Can I get away with just using the kit you can rent from parts stores? Will it work for all bushings? Trailing arm, torque rods, control arms, etc?

Last edited by Rig0ur; 12-07-2017 at 04:29 PM..
Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

No you need the trailing arm bushing tool. or at least one of the home brew setups.

NB:

Get the OE Lemforder bushings, a lot of the cheaper ones don't even fit at all.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
white855T
Board Member

Someone does rent the tool. Link to posting. http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300738

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote