home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #151
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Thanks John, looks like Ill be doing a couple one off plenums!

SHEETMETAL INTAKEhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...etmetal+intake

THIS IS FORSALE V
nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #152
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Double post. Sort of how I left that alternator on the counter at the PnP and had to go back to get it.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141

Last edited by JohnMc; 07-09-2011 at 11:43 PM..
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #153
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Remote reservoir PS pump on, intake manifold now fits.

I also got some cute littler alternator from a 940, seems to be a direct fit, it's a fair amount smaller, and it's 100A vs. 80A from the larger 240 alternator. I put it on, it seems fine. It was a little snug between the turbo and alternator before, plus the alternator would hit the oil pressure sender when you tried to get it loose enough to take the belts off.

Messed around with a throttle spool and got that tweaked around and fit onto Nathan's manifold.

Also got an A/C return line from a 940, instead of going straight up from the compressor (where it ran into Nathan's intake manifold) and over the top of the motor in the 240 style, it goes down, has a flex line across the crossmember, to a fairly out of the way hard line along the far frame rail and up to the receiver/drier. It doesn't fit perfectly on a 240, since it's a little narrower, but I think it will work well with a tweak or two.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #154
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

sounds like it worked so well you needed a double post

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #155
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I'm 95% resigned to putting the same exhaust side back onto the car. I'm running out of time and money, that ram's horn hearder isn't going to fit in well with A/C and I'm not really wanting to bother with making new oil lines and DP for a new turbo right now, so I think the log mani and Chinese GT30R are going to go back on.

I guess I'll tackle a front mount and different turbo next year. So I'll just see how much it's better with the head, cams, intake, and electronics upgrades.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #156
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

should be a lot better.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #157
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
I dunno man, that surge sounded nasty.
I'm not entirely sure that was surge, might have been some MS hiccups. They seemed more likely to occur when the engine was cooler (E85 seems to like a hot motor?), and when the motor was nice and hot it would crack off real clean full boost pulls. Which makes me sort of think it wasn't surge? And if it was, maybe improving the flow through the head (intake, ports, cams, up until it hits the log) might help?

I just need to get that log mani welded back up with something better than my 110V MIG. Maybe I should troll CL for a better welder, and run some 220V out to the garage. Or jsut take it to a welding shop, probably the better idea.

Last edited by JohnMc; 07-12-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #158
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I'm not entirely sure that was surge, might have been some MS hiccups. They seemed more likely to occur when the engine was cooler (E85 seems to like a hot motor?), and when the motor was nice and hot it would crack off real clean full boost pulls. Which makes me sort of think it wasn't surge? And if it was, maybe improving the flow through the head (intake, ports, cams, up until it hits the log) might help?

I just need to get that log mani welded back up with something better than my 110V MIG. Maybe I should troll CL for a better welder, and run some 220V out to the garage. Or jsut take it to a welding shop, probably the better idea.
if you want me to, send it to me and I'll weld it back up. Shipping both ways will be cheaper then buying a 220v welder
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #159
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:

or an exhaust shop.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #160
SquareD
An Anomaly

I don't know if this has been discussed, but is the log mani better for flows than a 90+ with an adapter flange?
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #161
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

eh.......... not really
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #162
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how *bad* the log mani is, but the air does have to sort of mill about angrily in the log for a while before it gets the idea to go out the flange. It might not actually be as bad as it mentally seems to be.

The advantages of the log are all in the initial cost (although I've had to have mine flattened twice so far by a machine shop) and the packaging - they're very small and fit into a very small space.

Aron - But then I'd have a stick welder! And I could make sliders for the 4Runners, things like that.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #163
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how *bad* the log mani is, but the air does have to sort of mill about angrily in the log for a while before it gets the idea to go out the flange. It might not actually be as bad as it mentally seems to be.

The advantages of the log are all in the initial cost (although I've had to have mine flattened twice so far by a machine shop) and the packaging - they're very small and fit into a very small space.

Aron - But then I'd have a stick welder! And I could make sliders for the 4Runners, things like that.
Stick welder = poor mans welder
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #164
olov
doing something stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed, but is the log mani better for flows than a 90+ with an adapter flange?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
eh.......... not really
...90+(and pre90) are garbage, runner size is too small, and the sharp bends are horrible. actually the "collector" on a stock manifold aren't much better than what a log is - the air is still trying to figure out which way is out. log is better. not perfect for sure, but better than stock hands down imo
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #165
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I guess I've been posting updates in the SE(X) thread, instead of here...

Head is on, exhaust side is on, waiting on a few odds and ends to finish out the intake side.

Currently wading through the engine wiring. Over time, I've been using less and less of the stock harness, and adding more of my stuff. Got sick of the unused wiring, and the new wiring outside the looms. Plus, I'll need to add a fair amount of new stuff this time around:
- individual wires for the injectors intead of the single LH fat gray wire that fires all of them at once
- COP wiring
- DSM CAS wiring

So I stripped the casings off all the stock wiring and I'm picking out the circuits I no loner need and removing them (AMM, PCV heater, Bosch ignition, some random two-wire plug that was always unused by the block dist, stock NB O2 wiring). And inside the passenger footwell I am getting rid of the rats nest that is the combined EZK and LH harness. Just picking off one wire at a time that goes through the firewall, figuring out what it is, and either labelling and clipping it, or removing it. Got through about 80% of it last night, it's pretty close to having that mess out of there. It's a little intimidating to see the huge mass of wiring under there, but just doing it one at a time and it clears out quicker than you'd think.

Then to wire up the new components, re-loom the wiring under the hood, and start trying to get the MS3X box configured (PM in to gross polluter - hopefully he can give me a nice starter MS3X MSQ so I'm not starting from scratch).

Other than that - still need to:
- hook the DP back up
- install the timing belt and accessory drive belts - notable that I now have a smaller drive pulley - might need new belts?
- install the intake manifold and FPR

Last edited by JohnMc; 08-23-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #166
JW240
Your current user title

About the underdrive pulley, i used 900 mm long belts over the alt and waterpump and lengthened the tensioner about 10-15 mm (stock belts were 940 mm). With shorter belts it can work with the stock tensioner i guess but then the alt would have been a bit close to the oil filter and oil cooler plate. Note that I use the stock 240 water pump pulley, the big one, not the smaller turbo version. I have the same pulley as you have (just for 8v though), it was ordered together with the 16v one you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #167
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Nice, I'll try that if my original belts don't work. I also swapped the alternator to the smaller 100A Nippodenso style from a late model 940, so that may make a diffreence as well. I have a new A/C belt sitting around somewhere, I got it a couple of years ago from FCP as a replacement, but it never fit, too short. So maybe it will work now.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #168
Texas240
Prius Owner

How do you think I felt when I did mine.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #169
JohnMc
PV Abuser

For some slight additional fun, my whole engine harness was swapped in from a 940T by some previous owner (or their mechanic). So there are some snipped, spliced, and plain unused wires here and there. There was even a 2 foot section of heavy 2 gauge wire leading from the starter terminal up toward the firewall, where it was cut and taped off.

Mine won't really be that much simpler once done, since I'm adding about as much as I'm taking out, but at least it will all be functional. And not redundant. No more unused wiring tucked all over the place.

I'm trying to think of ways to use the unused dash lights now. Like the CEL, the upshift indicator. Maybe a lean mixture warning light and a shift light? MS3X has a ridiculous number of outputs jsut waiting to be configured via Tunerstuido - no need to open the case, solder jumpres, configure transitor outputs, add wires, they're all there already in the new output plug pigtail.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #170
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
MS3X has a ridiculous number of outputs jsut waiting to be configured via Tunerstuido - no need to open the case, solder jumpres, configure transitor outputs, add wires, they're all there already in the new output plug pigtail.
only if ms2 had so many outputs
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #171
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
Stick welder = poor mans welder
ehh unless you know how to use it. welding automotive sheet metal with 6010 rod without too much warpage is fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #172
Texas240
Prius Owner

what cops are you using?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #173
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
what cops are you using?
Imma guess Toyota.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #174
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron View Post
imma guess toyota.
look here smarty pants!!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #175
JohnMc
PV Abuser

It's Toyota. Off a Corolla or something (I bought them from Nathaninwa).

I soldered for hours last night. I removed lots of unneeded circuits from my 940 wiring harness, then condensed the plugs at the firewall, and went from 5 down to 2. Now I'm repurposing a couple of them for the sequential injector wiring and the COP wiring.

I need to swing by the PnP tomorrow and get some more donor wiring and complete the COP wiring through those same plugs. That way I can unplug everything at the firewall if needed to pull the motor.

Here's part of it:

That's a lot of the sensor wiring, plus the sequential injector wiring. (And the knock sensor and A/C compressor wire - I really need to wire up that Knocksense I've had kicking around the house since before I blew up the 8V from.... knocking....).