home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #151
srbliss
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Do I see a turbo Suby hiding in the back of the shop??

Closely following your build and hopefully will soon be blatantly copying some of your ideas (L33 with a T5 for me.) I am the guy that made those custom CV flanges you used on the 914 swap - I have one of those to complete as well. As you know introducing kids into your like really puts the breaks and project progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55superbeetle View Post
I finally got a full day to work on it, it has been 102 degrees here all day but that didn't stop me. Got my honda alternator and power steering pump all mounted. Also got the brakes plumbed and then put it all back together. Looks good all clean and shiny! Progress should be a little faster now....I hope

Some pics of the progress,






srbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #152
55superbeetle
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Modesto, Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbliss View Post
Closely following your build and hopefully will soon be blatantly copying some of your ideas (L33 with a T5 for me.) I am the guy that made those custom CV flanges you used on the 914 swap - I have one of those to complete as well. As you know introducing kids into your like really puts the breaks and project progress.

Wow it always amazes me how small the car world really is (at least the world of cool cars lol). Thanks again for the flanges! The car is still being abused almost daily without a problem.

My car moved under it's own power today! It rolls the tires off it you even look at the throttle pedal...cant wait to get it all tuned up. The L33 is the aluminum 5.3 correct? After all I have learned I probably would have just went 4.8 or 5.3 for my car and saved a few bucks. Good luck with the build and let me know if I can help.
55superbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #153
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

Oh damn!

toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #154
M.H. Yount
Board Member
 
M.H. Yount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

Progress indeed! Sounds nice and stealthy-quiet....
__________________
'82 242 6.2L; '17 Mazda3; '16 CrossTrek
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #155
pwschuh
Rolling...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Default

That's gonna be a sharp looking car. Rear-mount the battery?
__________________
"No man would listen to you talk if he didn't know it was his turn next." E. W. Howe
pwschuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #156
srbliss
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Small world indeed

Your the 2nd person on this board that has been involved with my 914 parts. Yes the L33 is the all aluminum one, member sikbrik is also in the process of an L33 swap and says the L33 is actually lighter than the old Volvo! Good to hear you can now drive the car. What are doing about the evil smog check (are you one of the few lucky ones in an exempt zone?) We have a house up in the foothills that is an exempt zone so once I get the car smogged as stock I don't have to worry about it anymore. I used to build 8.8's when I was in college and know a few tips for cheap stock LSD performance PM for more. What about that Subaru in the back of the shop?? Looks like it's ready for some boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55superbeetle View Post
Wow it always amazes me how small the car world really is (at least the world of cool cars lol). Thanks again for the flanges! The car is still being abused almost daily without a problem.

My car moved under it's own power today! It rolls the tires off it you even look at the throttle pedal...cant wait to get it all tuned up. The L33 is the aluminum 5.3 correct? After all I have learned I probably would have just went 4.8 or 5.3 for my car and saved a few bucks. Good luck with the build and let me know if I can help.
srbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #157
55superbeetle
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Modesto, Ca
Default

I have a friend that will take care of the smog for me but it still isn't cheap. That subaru motor was in my 55 bug. 2.5 single cam with sti rods and pistons, turbocharged of course. I sold the car and the motor is going in a friends ghia. I would love to get some help with the 8.8 when i'm ready.



55superbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #158
Mueller
Board Member
 
Mueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antioch, CA
Default

Jeff,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Nice shop as well...thanks again

Mike
__________________
.........

Last edited by Mueller; 03-23-2017 at 12:19 AM..
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #159
lt1240
Board Member
 
lt1240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55superbeetle View Post
I have a friend that will take care of the smog for me but it still isn't cheap. That subaru motor was in my 55 bug. 2.5 single cam with sti rods and pistons, turbocharged of course. I sold the car and the motor is going in a friends ghia. I would love to get some help with the 8.8 when i'm ready.



That's awsome, looks like a lot of fun!!
__________________
1977 244 - LT1, T56, Ford 8.8, IPD springs and bars
lt1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #160
M.H. Yount
Board Member
 
M.H. Yount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

LS in the 242; WRX in the Bug; just keeps gettin' better....
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #161
55superbeetle
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Modesto, Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Thomas,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Nice shop as well...thanks again

Mike
My name is actually Jeff, probably got me confused with my friend Thomas. He is the guy who's dad I did the wrx 914 for. He also owns volvo's and a subaru powered bug.

It was great talking to you guys, hopefully next time it will be fully road worthy and we can go for death rides
55superbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #162
Mueller
Board Member
 
Mueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Antioch, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55superbeetle View Post
My name is actually Jeff, probably got me confused with my friend Thomas. He is the guy who's dad I did the wrx 914 for. He also owns volvo's and a subaru powered bug.

It was great talking to you guys, hopefully next time it will be fully road worthy and we can go for death rides
Opps...sorry about that...bad with names and I saw his name on this thread...
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #163
srbliss
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Beat me to it!

Thanks Jeff, like Mueller said - it was fun. Can't wait to take a ride in your beast.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Thomas,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Nice shop as well...thanks again

Mike
srbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #164
DBCooper
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Thomas,

Thanks for letting Steve and I check out your 242 today in person...great work, I hope my own ride can come out half as nice as yours....!!

Car sounds awesome, and that motor looks like it could have been installed from the factory in there !!!

Nice shop as well...thanks again

Mike
This the long missing 914Club Mike Mueller? From back in the time of Howard, Mike Zois, Brad, Trekkor, all the others who've disappeared? Has to be, so Hi, Mike, long time no see. I'm Thomas' father, and Jeff put the WRX into my 914, which then moved to Houston. He does great work, doesn't he? Nothing more impressive than a mad imagination with skills that can keep up.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #165
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice
 
nathaninwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WA
Default

Wow. I have to ask myself how I missed this build. Just briefed myself on the project....great build, and quality craftsmanship.
__________________
962j 815/692@27psi

SHEETMETAL INTAKEhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...etmetal+intake

THIS IS FORSALE V
nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #166
srbliss
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Thats him, and I am one of the 'lost' ones as well

In the 914 world I'm Porscharu - the flange guy. How is the 914 these days. Sorry I didn't make it over the hill to see your 914 before it went home.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This the long missing 914Club Mike Mueller? From back in the time of Howard, Mike Zois, Brad, Trekkor, all the others who've disappeared? Has to be, so Hi, Mike, long time no see. I'm Thomas' father, and Jeff put the WRX into my 914, which then moved to Houston. He does great work, doesn't he? Nothing more impressive than a mad imagination with skills that can keep up.
srbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #167
DBCooper
Board Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbliss View Post
In the 914 world I'm Porscharu - the flange guy. How is the 914 these days. Sorry I didn't make it over the hill to see your 914 before it went home.
Steve
Cool. You, Mike and Jeff, you know three qualifies it as a conspiracy, right? So you found the secret 40-Thirteen shop. Impressive work, no? Did Jeff tell you about his neighbor's carbureted/nitrous Subaru/Bug? If not you need to ask, really.

The 914 is good, worn out one set of Falken Azenis so far. We left the outer 914 CV's in it as a driveline fuse and now waiting on new CV's from Eric Shea to replace the third set we've broken. So we're blowing lots of fuses but not those flanges. Easily the most fun I've ever had in a car. Ridiculous, in fact. That Volvo's a little scary though, hope Jeff never feels the need to turbo it.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #168
55superbeetle
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Modesto, Ca
Default

Glad to hear the 914 is still going strong and thanks for the good words!

I have been able to put a few miles on the Volvo the past week and the tune is getting pretty close. It's pretty quick but is definitely going to need some more power. I think the turbo 400 and cheap converter are sucking up a ton of power but i'm just going to have to counter that with forced induction. I even managed to run it out of gas, 4 gallons didn't last many full throttle pulls.... Also going to have to weld in a taller drive shaft tunnel. It's a 3.5" shaft and its rubbing pretty good over big bumps and I still want the car to be lower.

Thomas is going to come help me buff it out this weekend so hopefully I will get some good pics. Overall i'm pretty happy with it and nothing has broke yet so that's a good sign.
55superbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #169
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default

Wow, thats quite da DUB...

If I could, i'd skeet, skeet, SKEET all over this thread.

NICE!
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #170
55superbeetle
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Modesto, Ca
Default

Thomas came over today and started making it look presentable. I'm still amazed how good it came out. Volvo must have used some good paint because it came back to life like a champ. Even the rattle canned fender shined right up! The shiny primer is growing on me, I still want to paint it someday but this will definitely keep me satisfied for a good while. I'm still only in this car 3800 clams so I think i'm doing pretty good. Hopefully I can get to the track pretty soon, feels like it should go 12's pretty easily. The goal is to get into the tens on the stock block, just cam,springs, and turbo. Just going to have to wait until tax returns before I can get a snail for it.

Proof that you can polish a turd!!











55superbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #171
toms_elleck
Board Member
 
toms_elleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Default

I got to ride in the car this weekend and HOLY SHEEEEIT! Because of the stall converter, the sound of the engine, and the ratchet shifter, it felt like being in a big Camaro or Chevelle drag car. Not to mention, it can roll the tires in 2nd gear all the way down the block! haha

The look on people's faces in traffic, when they are looking around for the V8 hot rod and then realize that this noise is coming from the Volvo, is priceless. Can't wait to see this beast go down the strip with a set of slicks bolted to it!!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #172
joshwho_e21
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Land of Sun 91040
Default

Very inspiring. Seeing this almost makes me want to ditch the dinosaur 327 and go the more modern route like you.
joshwho_e21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #173
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default



I've just had a crisis
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #174
srbliss
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Question about clearance between the steering shaft

and the exhaust manifold. I remember it was a very tight fit on your car. Could you point out where the shaft was almost touching the manifold?



Do you think these might fit better? They fit very close to the block as well as being more 'rear swept' than the Vette manifolds.


These are brand new and will be for sale early next year. No idea on $$$ at this time.
srbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #175
M.H. Yount
Board Member
 
M.H. Yount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

Could be optics -- but looks like there's an alignment problem with the bolt holes between the 2nd and 3rd primaries.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.