home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #351
peterwgpa
Board Member

We ran Lakeside classic a few weeks ago. Car went well but we popped a head gasket on the last day due to a faulty fan switch coupled with a delay in return lane due to a car with a broken gearbox coupled to a very hot day. We know we did not cook the engine due to our backup head temperature gauge so it has paid for itself already. I think the temperature fan switch has not been working properly since our second outing with it in.

We are going to do away with the temperature switch for the radiator fan and just have it come on all the time. We can do this in our climate.

We are also fitting a cometic head gasket whilst we are at it.

Also fixed some more pages with updated pics following photobuckets extortion racket. Pain in the butt but nothing worse than a thread with lost photos. Working through them very slowly to rebuild.

Here are some pictures from the weekends racing courtesy of shifting focus

1992 Spec Godzilla verse our 1979 Spec 242 and the speed differential is astounding. The Nissan picked up first place for weekends racing

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by peterwgpa; 09-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Get picture size right
peterwgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #352
centason
Wine enemas for all

So many awesome cars in that race.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Just remember this guys. Im related to cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
they were pushing sloppy poo up a steep hill with a pointy stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #353
peterwgpa
Board Member

All genuine race cars with period history covering group C from early 1970's to 1985 and Group A 1986 to 1992 before we moved onto our own V8 category in Australia from 1993. The earliest car in these pictures is the Blue Holden XU1 torana in front of our Volvo which is 1972 but raced till 1978

Here is a link to incar footage from Duncan McKellors BMW in race 5 from the weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODpgd9KR94Q

Here is a lap from Wayne Clifts in car from weekend. Wayne raced the car back in the day and still owns the car today and brings it out for the historics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbpQPc0rvs

Here is field assembling for race 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuqLUO-AF8

Last edited by peterwgpa; 09-09-2017 at 08:33 PM..
Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #354
centason
Wine enemas for all

I seen that. The car to the side of you looks like a US model Toyota FX-16 from the pictures. And I do see a 5m Supra out there. Good stuff.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #355
peterwgpa
Board Member

Both toyos you mention have British Touring Car history as well as Australian with the Supra having run Spa as well

Heres some history on the Supra

John Abbott’s (current owner and driver) Toyota Celica Supra was the first factory Group A Supra and was built for Team Toyota Great Britain for Group A racing in Europe.

It was first raced by Win Percy in the British Saloon Car Championship during 1983 and 1984, before being entered for the prestigious Spa 24 hour race in July 1984, where Gordon Spice and the Martin brothers from Belgium finished 5th outright; the highest placed finish for a Toyota in that event.

The car came to Australia straight from Belgium in August 1984, to be raced by Sydney Toyota dealer Peter Williamson.

Williamson campaigned the car from 1984 until 1987, and along the way the car was driven by other well known drivers including Charlie O’Brien, Thomas Mezera and Mark Skaife. The car won the Group A class at the first event in Australia, the Castrol 500 at Sandown in 1984, and continued to win its class at that event ever year it competed there.

However at Bathurst, the car was best known for its crashes, including being involved in the start line crash in 1984 which brought out the red flag, and in 1986 the car was very badly damaged in a huge crash on Conrod Straight.

At the end of the 1987 season the car was sold to New Zealand, where it continued to race until 1989. It was then retired and not raced further until it was restored in 2005 by Abbott to continue racing in Historic Group A events.

The car is restored as it was entered at the Hardie-Ferodo 1000 at Bathurst 1986 for Peter Williamson and Mark Skaife, in its ‘big bad orange’ paint scheme. This was to be Mark Skaife’s first Bathurst, but unfortunately Williamson crashed the car before Skaife got to drive in the race.

The car is one of only 6 Mk 2 Supras to race in Group A worldwide, of which only three are thought to survive.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 09-09-2017 at 08:41 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #356
peterwgpa
Board Member

We are going to give a set of 4.56 Diff gears a whirl and will be fitted and tested before Christmas.

Thanks to Ian from HiperFauto for supply and decent freight rate to Australia. Supplied and freighted for less $ than my best freight rate I could negotiate.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #357
Turtleism
Board Member

Awesome to see the car still at it and going strong, cheers for going through and fixing up all the pictures in the thread too as this really is a important piece of motorsport history (plus its 242GT goodness). What course will you be aiming for with the 4.56 ratio? With no evidence to back up my theory I feel like most of australian course's have too long of a straight for that gearing to pay of but hope to be corrected haha.
Turtleism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #358
peterwgpa
Board Member

I ran the gearing, speed,rpm and tyre diameter calculations through a number of the online calculators and cross checked them and don’t think any of the tracks will run us into trouble. Even the longest being Conrod straight at Bathurst.

The very detailed write ups from the 1979 race had its top speed down Conrod at 200kmh plus or minus 10kmh. All of that checks out.

We are hoping the change will improve our point to point times in all parts of the track and even if calculation a little out and we have to hold top end revs at end of some straights potentially still quicker lap time overall. That’s the theory anyway and don’t think we will actually have to rev limit in 5th but will soon know.

That reminds me a few pages yet to fix photo wise. Photo bucket you still suck and always will you dogs. I laugh every time I see an email from them attempting to sell their services. Or is it a ransom note? Sorry I digress. Rant over.

To finish it off on a good note our piece of history picked up a win in 2 to 3 litre Group C Category in the 2017 Heritage Touring Cars championship. We won it by .3 of one point so was very close.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 11-03-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #359
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwgpa View Post
We are hoping the change will improve our point to point times in all parts of the track and even if calculation a little out and we have to hold top end revs at end of some straights potentially still quicker lap time overall. Thatís the theory anyway and donít think we will actually have to rev limit in 5th but will soon know.
Not quite the same, my son races karts in a very large and competitive field. We are often making changes hoping for hundredths of a second improvement. 1st through 10th is usually all within 2 tenths of each other.
We set the gearing to be bouncing off the rev limiter right around half way down the longest straight. And I'll have to change gearing at least 2-3 times a weekend to optimize as the track rubbers in.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #360
peterwgpa
Board Member

Patrick

I am hoping we change gearing once and that's it. Fingers crossed
Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 AM   #361
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwgpa View Post
Patrick

I am hoping we change gearing once and that's it. Fingers crossed
Yeah, a little easier on a kart.
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #362
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Peter...do you have a direct link to the window gaskets(baileys) from that site? I think the part# changed. As you stated they were for a Holden wagon...what year might narrow it down too.

Also...what did you do about the upper rear corner area? Did the new rubber come as a straight piece and you sliced it to fit the upper rear corner?
Originally Posted by blackbrick82 View Post
It's all about the beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
how come everytime i in the kitchen, you in the kitchen, in the god damn refridgerator
Buy my partz...here
Feedback...here
24DinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #363
peterwgpa
Board Member

The link on the page/post of this thread page 4 takes you to their website. Yes part number has changed but pretty sure it was for a HQ Holden station wagon tailgate and if you contacted them with their old psrt number I am sure thay would be able to tell you new one and or confirm. If I was a betting person new part number likely
TGBC1007 but please check with them first before buying.

Yes it comes in straight length and we cut it on angle at top to match for top and knicked the back for the angle on the front rail. When you lay it beside the old one where to knick bits out is fairly obvious from memory. Need to be careful to match top cuts so the top rail rubber lines up with the upright for a nice tight butt up fit with no gap. Not as easy as it sounds.

I did this over 3 years ago so apologies if memory is a little fuzzy.

From watching Gas Monkey they did a Chev 1970’s Kingswood Station Wagon from the 1970’s which was very very similar to our HQ Holden station wagon from same era. Would not be surprised if they may have run same rubber so surely with the amount of Old time spares you guys are lucky to have there would have to be a match.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 11-15-2017 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #364
24DinCT
Don Juan De La Nooch

Thanks mate! That's what I was looking for...I'll have to contact them.

I don't deal with the old 60s-70s American cars...but what I HAVE seen as far as they're rubber seals....is that's there's tons of them...and most aren't remotely close to what you've found.
24DinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #365
peterwgpa
Board Member

4:56 gears on way in - It has since all been put back together and diff is now back in car

Thanks to Ian from HiperFauto for source and supply to Australia and in turned up in 5 days which was amazing

Car goes for dyno tune Monday to dial in the UTCIS WUR

Our long suffering mechanic Peer at GLT now has two new jobs to finish when it gets back from Dyno - Some of Bens nice bits turned up Friday (1week which was fantastic)

I am doing my best to boost US economy as all parts mentioned on this page sourced from USA.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Old 12-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #366
centason
Wine enemas for all

The budget plates are awesome. Takes some extra play out of the top end, plus caster. Always a good thing.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #367
peterwgpa
Board Member

Great to hear

Once this round of work is completed the car has a date in January for a sleep over for a week at a friend of mines house as he sets up race suspension for some big names and he is going to dial it all best he can with the adjustability we have given the fact we cant run coil overs on front nor the fully adjustable strut tops. We bought Bens extra Ackermann adjustment functionality on the roll centre pieces but for moment we are leaving that to pro to sort

Really looking forward to our test day late in January to test and judge the results of the past couple of months work.

This round of work really is the last development we can do so after this it will be down to continued fine tuning of what we have and drivers getting some development of their own
Old 12-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #368
peterwgpa
Board Member

December 2017 - I finally finished rebuilding thread and replacing all non working Photobucket links with Imgur links. A very time consuming process but thankfully now complete.

Approximately 10% of the original photos did not make it into the revised thread due to them being lost in the process.

Photobucket you can crash and burn anytime you like now.