home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #151
peterwgpa
Board Member

Tune up and wheel alignment done. She now runs sweetly. Ended up fitting a brand new fuel pump and accumulator as it was not holding pressure and the pump was at end of its life. Both were the items from one of the donors and were the only 2 items in fuel delivery system not renewed already. Line pressure was just not good enough. They had been sitting unused for around 5 years.

Had to adjust reverse lock out and have pulled the overdrive wiring from the shifter. Overdrive will not be needed for local tracks and we are going to use a switch on dash to operate. Will sort out when we get a spare half an hour well before it will be needed.

Loaded up for a track test next week so fingers crossed we have it all sorted for a decent shake down.

Will put up some photos from track test day
peterwgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #152
12david34
Board Member

Peter, i really recommend you to visit petroliciousDOTcom website and share your story with other car enthusiasts...
D.
12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #153
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks David -

Todays shakedown not as successful as we hoped. Only got 2 laps in and we spent the day chasing an electrical gremlin that was taking out the fuel pumps. The fuel would start to starve until the pumps would stop completely. As well as this the gauges would be jumping around all over the place. Of course it would not do it at home and waited to the track to surface. In the end battery gave out too just to add to the excitement. Good news it does brake and steer and the local Auto Electrician confirmed our Alternator is charging (free of charge thanks). Ran many wiring checks all in the name of getting some runs in to no avail. We managed to leave our spare fuel pump relay at home on the bench some 100kms away so we figured that will be the likely culprit. Just prior to heading home we spotted an extra relay in the fuel pump circuit that we thought was put there by our mechanic but upon checking he said it was already there so he had left it in place. Like everything with a little thinking time on way home my partner in crime had it sorted within 10 minutes of being back home. Previous owner ran a turbo and had inserted another relay in the fuel pump circuit for reasons not known to us which when we looked at factory wring for normally aspirated engine did not need to be there. Removed the relay and plugged wires to standard positions and we had liftoff. Was hoping for some track pics but these couple will have to do.

Start of day before the fun and games had commenced

If you don't go you might as well look good

In all the chaos we spotted a couple of small things that we will fix prior to next test so whilst we did not get seat time we were hoping for we have moved one step closer. Race weekend is first weekend in May and we should make it.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Photobucket you suck
Old 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #154
petiww
Board Member

This car looks absolutely sexy. Nice job guys!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #155
peterwgpa
Board Member

In Hindsight we should have done this months ago before commencing reconstruction but hey you live and learn.

We thought we had a cruisy Friday night with a tidy up of a few small issues identified in Shakedown 1 but by the end of the night we were ready to push her in the corner and forget her for a while or burn it as we could not get a handle on the electrical gremlins which surfaced as we dug a little deeper. We called it a night in disgust and retreated. I did a couple of hours research when I got home then dragged out the factory wiring diagram and mapped out each fuse in and out and we made the decision to start at fuse 1 and work down the board. It was a dogs breakfast and I don't know how anything ran at all and it was lucky we had not already had an electrical fire. Too many people have had a go over the last 30 years. Hard to believe there were two fuses with the power feed wires on the power out side. No wonder we were generating some heat on a couple and there was lots of weird stuff happening. What I cant figure is why it did not surface earlier.

I checked my notes against one of our donor cars that still has factory wiring in place and my notes were backed up by observation so hooked in and went through them 1 by 1 and cleaned and checked fuses and holders as I went. Took a good few hours as some past handy work needed to be returned to standard. Powered it back up and checked power to each side of every fuse and all good. Put in a new indicator and fuel pump relay and fired her up. We finally had everything back up and running and full fuel relay functionality. Let it run for a good 20 minutes to make sure we had no issues when everything warmed up. Checked alternator charging and still no go so back to basics on that too. When checking realised we had failed to earth it. Goes to show it was missed by all and sundry for all these months. Fixed that and we now have charge and all lights in dash on start up. Plenty of lessons learned but most important is to just go back to basics when confronted by many issues that make no sense.

PS We have bought a Dave Barton external adjustable regulator for the Alternator so we can dial in a little extra charge. We are going to get our spare reconditioned and fit it up with the new regulator and consign the current one to our spares for away meets.

If work plays ball we will be back to track Wednesday for shakedown mark 2

Last edited by peterwgpa; 04-24-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #156
peterwgpa
Board Member

Today we had shakedown take two and thankfully the only tool we removed from the tow car was the tyre pressure gauge. We did approximately 45 laps in various stints and apart from the old tyres not offering full grip we were extremely happy with outcome. Before our first race meet in early May we will give it a spanner check, put on the reconditioned alternator, fit the new slicks for the old old ones we used to move car around and the shakedown and give it a bath.

If you discount last weeks two slow laps it was the first time the car has been on a race track in nearly 36 years

Sorry pics and video lost in Photobuckets Money grab. Post cleaned up

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Photobucket you suck
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #157
Andrewhans
Board Member

That is really cool to see it on a track again! It's a big accomplishment.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #158
12david34
Board Member

does the car have a camber plates or stock upper strut mounts? can you provide more info of geometry setup? oh and dat exhaust sound.. double niiice
Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 AM   #159
quillc
yv1a.com

What are you running for exhaust?
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #160
12david34
Board Member

custom made, i would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwgpa View Post
David

Mild steel as we will probably end up ceramic coating the whole exhaust and I will have to check measurements. Car is track only so dont have to worry about road regulations
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #161
Tuff240
240 Ninja

This article might be about your car?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=331533578121

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #162
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks for the link and yes that is an article on the car and we have that magazine. There were a number of magazine articles at the time as the team owner/one of the drivers David McKay was a well known motoring journalistas well as a Ferrari/Volvo/Porsche motor vehicle dealer/owner who also owned race teams in 60's and 70's.

Yes running stock strut tops.

Exhaust details found on previous pages with pictures. Just stock exhaust (not extractors) into the shorter system with a single muffler as don't have to worry about legality for road use.

Last edited by peterwgpa; 04-24-2015 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #163
peterwgpa
Board Member

Another box ticked today. We received the CAMS historic log book and certificate of description (COD) for the car which is only issued to genuine cars that can prove their heritage and race history. The car is loaded up on trailer ready to go for its first race meeting this weekend. Will post a couple of pictures and a brief summary of its first outing next week but we are essentially done. We will continue to develop our car craft and set up of the car within the rules and enjoy the experience.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #164
peterwgpa
Board Member

The first Race meet has been run and done. The Car performed very well and was reliable and predictable. The driver still very rusty after a few years out of the seat but managed to improve on qualifying time by 2 seconds a lap over the course of the weekend. I think there is still 3 seconds a lap or a little more in driver improvement before we start looking for mechanical upgrades within the rules. We had qualifying and 4 races over the weekend and we had only 1 dnf (did not finish) in race 1 due to the failure of a brand new slick which turned into an egg (not happy) and decided to come in which is just as well.

I will post some better pictures from professionals when I get them in next couple of weeks but here is one from a fellow Volvo tragic (Rob) who sent it to us from Sunday race 1 and a couple of video grabs from the grid form up.

All cars that race in this group are certified genuine race cars from The group C and group A periods from approximately 1972 to 1992 here in Australia with the front runners being Ford Sierras, Nissan GTR's,1992 specification Walkinshaw Commodores and BMW M3 in hands of professional drivers from the period. The competitor numbers were down due to some wild weather and flooding on the Friday leading into the weekend and there have been 2 big meets with 30 plus cars competing in each within last 8 weeks so not many southerners made the journey North this year.

Robs photo

Grid form up video race 3

Sorry lost due to Photobucket rip off scam

File out video race 3 - Bonus - 2 Volvos to be seen

Sorry lost due to Photobucket rip off scam

Thanks to my 50/50 partner K for pitting on weekend. I will be returning the favour in a couple of weeks

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Photobucket extortion attempt
Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #165
peterwgpa
Board Member

A couple of professional Photos

Photos lost in Photobucket extortion attempt - Sorry

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-02-2017 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Photobucket scam
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #166
petiww
Board Member

Is it allowed to add spacers in the rear?

Last edited by petiww; 05-05-2015 at 02:02 PM..
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #167
peterwgpa
Board Member

Current wheels are 20pos offset. Can get some made at 8 mm pos offset and we already have 8mm spacers to clear brake calipers. This would make rear Neutral (equivalent to a 20mm spacer with standard 20 mm offset) which we may do when funds allow or we think it makes sense in bang for buck.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #168
VQ
Not such a PRVert Anymore

Factory volvo spacers via Dvs?

hellastock
Speed Bumps? No Problem.

264 GLE RIP
88 740T wagon
1964 122s

88 760GLE
VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #169
peterwgpa
Board Member

No just garden variety 8mm spacers. Does ash do the 20's?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #170
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
No just garden variety 8mm spacers. Does ash do the 20's?
We have 16.5, 25, and 32s if you need them.

I wouldn't add spacers to the rear unless you have too much oversteer.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #171
alreadyupsidedown
Board Member

Who makes the wheels, if you don't mind me asking? I've seen them on a bunch of classic Australian race cars. I have a 1980 242 GT as well, and this thread (And your car!) is a huge inspiration.

I know you guys are focused on competition and authenticity, not so much aesthetics, but +1 on the car looking even better with the rear wheels spaced out. Would be awesome if they matched the aggressive front end. I have a set of 25mm spacers from H&R on the rear of my DL coupe to push the stock steelies out, and the results are very subtle, but it makes the rear end of the car look way more 'substantial'. No rubbing either, even with unmolested fender lips.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #172
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Car looks great on track! Easily one of my favorite cars here at TB's now. So cool!

Quote:
I think there is still 3 seconds a lap or a little more in driver improvement before we start looking for mechanical upgrades within the rules.

Only 1.5 car widths off correct line - Not sure what I was doing out there???
More than 3 seconds if you are that far offline!
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #173
peterwgpa
Board Member

Thanks for support. Greatly appreciated.

No plans at present to change rear offset.

The wheels are made in Australia by performance wheels in South Australia. They are performance challenger and they replicate a brand globe from the 1970's and when globe made them they were called Bathurst globes. I may be wrong but they were designed and first supplied for the ford falcon phase 3 gtho which was designed to win Bathurst race in early 70's.

Performance wheels manufacture these in any pcd you want but I understand now only in 8mm positive offset which is the offset for the ford falcon in the day. We must have got them on a good day as they made ours positive 20 but we had to use the 8mm spacers to clear the standard Volvo brakes which means we are effectively running positive 12 front and back if my understanding of how this all works is correct. We bought 6 wheels but sorry we did not buy the full 2 sets at the same time. I think at current prices they are approx $200 AUD each which in the conversion to USD or Euro is way more attractive and they are excellent quality.

Here is a link - Update. I found out on weekend (July 2015) that this Company closed its doors which is a shame. Another Aussie Manufacturer bites the dust. We wont be able to produce a pencil at our current rate of manufacturing capability decline. Hold that thought. Good news 2016 Update - Someone bought the company and they have started to remanufacture the wheels

Hope this helps

Last edited by peterwgpa; 12-23-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #174
towerymt
the real Towery

I would not add spacers for looks.

I would consider more front spring rate, or a larger front sway bar. Looks like maybe the tyre grip is overpowering the suspension a bit. I bet it's pretty forgiving and easy to control? This setup might be great in the rain, but looks too soft for dry.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #175
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I wouldn't add spacers to the rear unless you have too much oversteer.
I haven't raced any 2 series, so could you tell me why it is "good" to have a narrower rear track with a solid axle (neutral camber)?
I don't think that even with spacers it would be anywhere near as an independent rear suspension with camber, if we talk about front-rear grip.
Is there a topic for this? Sorry for messing up your thread.
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote