home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #126
nel621
Board Member

^ This I have to see. I dealing with the same thing.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 AM   #127
12david34
Board Member

Good work man
Old 04-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #128
12david34
Board Member

And also welded the sill endsheet on.

Only remaining heavy rustspot is the lip over the rear bumper that accepts the wide rubber 'seal'. I know thats going to be a PITA to do correctly, but it cant stop me now. [/QUOTE]

12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #129
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
^ This I have to see. I dealing with the same thing.
I thought I'll be able to buy a proper klokkerholm replacement sheet for this section, but the parts store does not have it.
So I'll just simply make an L profile replacement here. Early cars did not have that jump-in profile:

And even the beige donor car was repaired this way, and it is not too noticeable.

Not too much progress on the car, I focused on my exams, there are still two remaining. After that, I'll really dig myself into the car!
However I removed the BW55 nonsense yesterday, as well as the flexplate, bushing from the end of the crankshaft with the grease-hammer trick. It was kinda hard on a concrete floor, but it was out in a few hours.

Engine can come out now, and it will be rolled on two wheels to be able to paint its underside.

Also, good news, if everything goes well, another donor car will come in a few weeks with a working B230F+M47 combo. It was originally a Dutch car, so I'm not chasing dreams about a rustfree chassy...
This way I can leave together the beige donor car, and turn it into a race car one day!

Also went on an awesome trip with a good buddy with his grey 244, what a blast it was!

It will get an M90 in place of the M45 this summer, and possibly a G80.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #130
nel621
Board Member

Any updates, pics?
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #131
petiww
Board Member

Haven't done too much on the car this month, but July will be very busy.
New MOT check goal is Aug 17, and i don't think its impossible. If I don't mess around and actually work on it I think its achievable.

We went on a trip with the grey 244's owner to 12david34 to Slovakia to pick up his used Lesjöfors lowering springs, and he was kind enough to gave us these all for free:

Seized B21E, struts, springs, steelie set, other odds and ends. Thanks yo!

My buddies took out the engine from the car, and I did the rustjob on the underseat sheetmetal box. Also did the finishing touches on the floor, like welding holes, grinding and such. So now all the floor needs is a good paint.

Last edited by petiww; 06-29-2016 at 04:37 AM..
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #132
12david34
Board Member

i donated you.. a seized engine. ya.. and a bunch of old crap.. nothing to thank for. anyways, it was a pleasure to meet you guys
D.
12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #133
petiww
Board Member

Progress!

Hmm, tasty 2K Epoxy.

This means the underseat box could be welded back on the weekend, and I could finally roll it on two wheels to prep&paint the underbody, then paint the inside of the car. Wheelarches will be the last thing on the list, and bodywork is done!

Also, this cat...

She just simply doesnt care.

Last edited by petiww; 07-08-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #134
petiww
Board Member

Underseat box is welded in, and gearbox tunnel was painted from below. Quite satisfying to look at it.

Second donor car finally arrived, its quite rusty in some places, especially over the rear axle, but floors are surprisingly solid. Whole suspension and drivetrain (minus the healthy B230F) will be swapped into the brown before MOT, and i'll only need to change a few bushings.

I'll leave the beige car complete, and mess with it after the brown is complete and driveable.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #135
petiww
Board Member

Whole floor was sanded to bare metal and got primed. It will get a topcoat next week:

Left side floor and sill got epoxy primer too, little more work and undercoating can be sprayed on:

It was nice to have a friend helping me with this, a lot can be done with 4 hands. And sooo slow doing it alone...

Rear lip will get a 3mm thick sheet like this:

Inside is something like this:

Last edited by petiww; 07-29-2016 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 01:00 AM   #136
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

You've been busy.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #137
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Lovely work!! Wish i had the nkowledge to do this lol, but i will need to learn it all when i will start to attack the 242 DL haha...

Cheers for inspiration

Adam

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #138
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomz View Post
Lovely work!! Wish i had the nkowledge to do this lol, but i will need to learn it all when i will start to attack the 242 DL haha...

Cheers for inspiration

Adam
At least you have to do it on a 242, not on a boring 244...

However I'd do a couple things differently if i'd start the work now:
I would really disassemble the car to bare chassis, roll it on two wheels and steam pressure wash the whole underbody. That way you instantly see where it needs treatment, and you wont mess up the otherwise perfectly good factory paint with the torch&scraping.
Removing this black crap takes just too much time and energy, and I'm still messing with it.

Sound deadening removal with dry ice...

Well planned paint process from the beginning, and proper weldable primer at the joints. Sadly I tried out a different weld-thru paint on the right side of the car and right now I'm not sure about the longevity of that...

Sandblasting, but not the whole car, only where it is needed.

Proper spotweld drill.

I think if i'd start the process now I could finish this car in less than a year, and would be better in quality than now.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #139
petiww
Board Member

Yeah and I forgot, I wouldn't buy a car in that ****ty condition now. (ok, i'd do a 242 anyday)

Cheers
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #140
petiww
Board Member

Update time!

Did not go as fast as i planned in August, being on holiday for a week then healing from a cold for a week just takes time...
But at least the whole underbody is finished now and only remaining bodywork is the right wheelarch.
Inside got a nice coat of chocolate coloured Alkyton:

Whole underbody looks nice like this:

Rear lip:

Left rear wheelarch turned out to be pretty good, already painted it with 2K epoxy. A painter buddy will come next week to properly bondo the crap out of the quarter panel.

Thats it for now. This fall i really want to finish this thing, fortunately I only have to go to university 2 days a week, so time is not a problem.
Also, my brothers Audi Coupe is finally painted, so I will post a few pictures of the assembly.

Last edited by petiww; 09-02-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Old 09-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #141
JonnyP
Bored Member

Nice work! what kind of paint is the black coat?
JonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #142
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Yeah, that's what i want to do, completely strip it and see what's needed, but i know it's alot of holes :D We'll see, need to find a garage that would allow me to keep the car in and do the work, but mostly here, in the UK, the garages are used to store the car and nothing else, as it's just tiny lol :D

ADam
adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #143
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
Nice work! what kind of paint is the black coat?
Thanks!
Its a simple bitumen-based underbody coating. It's prone to crack over time (when it really dries up) so I will yearly spray it up with some wax or transformer oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomz View Post
Yeah, that's what i want to do, completely strip it and see what's needed, but i know it's alot of holes :D We'll see, need to find a garage that would allow me to keep the car in and do the work, but mostly here, in the UK, the garages are used to store the car and nothing else, as it's just tiny lol :D

ADam
Sucks to hear that you need to look for another garage.
I should consider myself lucky that I am able to work in a dry and big enough garage.

I hope you will find a good garage to save that 242!

Cheers
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #144
petiww
Board Member

Tried to start up the blue car today. As all the underdash wiring was missing/fubarred, I had to improvise a few wires but it is running. Ok, without coolant and alternator, and a cracked exhaust before cat, but it starts easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsLDBYIw9Js

Local volvo buddy came and we wrestled out its rear end, as this will go into the brown, along with the whole driveline. Engine will get a downgrade with the carburetor for MOT, and get back the LH after that. This seems to be the easiest way, and the brown's original engine becomes the spare.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #145
petiww
Board Member

Finally the right wheelarch is welded on too.

Now only the front passenger door needs a triangle patch, and major bodywork is done.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #146
petiww
Board Member

And painted with epoxy:

It looks smooth because i did my first bondo and sanding job in my life. Its fibreglass filler to cover the welding seam. Some more is still needed but as progress is slow i dont want to see bare metal surfaces.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #147
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Great work so far
Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #148
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Råda View Post
Great work so far
Thanks!
Whats up with your 242?

Front passenger door needs a little prep work and this cute little patch can be welded on:

And because I saw this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeka View Post
Yes I can
I pressed out the bushings of my torque rods, and saw rust on both, at the axle end inner surface. I came up with this little mod to prevent snapping:

Left is already grinded to healthy metal, right still has some rust you can see.
What do you think?

Last edited by petiww; 09-23-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #149
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

That should be sturdy

My 242 project is on hold. I'm having a new house built which soon is done, that is eating all my time and money. And after that I'm going to build my garage, so the 242 have to wait a few years sadly.
Råda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #150
petiww
Board Member

Finally painted the engine bay with 2K PUR Acrylic. After lots and lots of wirewheeling and hand sanding it with 180 grit, it is quite satisfying to look at it now. Had a lot of trouble with removing partially weathered zinc under the brake master cylinder and few other areas, so i hope it will hold up well.

Paint is not too nice upclose because it was sprayed wet on wet after Epoxy, and also it became a bit dusty so I guess i still need to improve my "paint booth" setup.
Any tips and practices with it in a dusty garage?
But all in all I'm satisfied with it, its my first 2K topcoat job, and somewhat presentable.

Last edited by petiww; 10-04-2016 at 07:29 AM..