home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #176
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Instead you painted the engine compartment?
Well, look, the engine bay was super ****ty, paint chipped from everywhere, rust, oxidized zinc and so on.
And the trunk lid still looks neato, it needs a cut&polish and will shine. And the aforementioned reasons in my previous post #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
Great job on the body work man. The rear quarters look factory new and the paint looks great!
Thanks!
Even the painter guy said i did a pretty good job as a first timer. I love how smooth it looks compared to prep works done with DA sander only. I'm pleased its totally presentable.

A LOT have been happened by the way on the last week.

Engine wiring was fitted, cabin wiring was fitted&sorted, firewall all sealed up, wiper, blower and dash jumped in, installed the driveshaft, new cooling radiator, NOS 65amp bosch alternator, fresh coolant...
New e-bay heater valve, has the correct stroke for the cable operation, works niiceee.

Good news that the engine runs and sounds pretty good at operating temperature, LH starts up on first try. (i only heard this engine run for a short time when it was cold and without coolant)
Power steering works nicely too, needs a flush to end it up but i could spin the steering wheel with one finger.

All my wiring works fine, electric speedo conversion works but had a bit of problem with trip/odo... Two screws which secure the stepper motor simply press the shafts together with too much of a pressure so it stops spinning... Put there two small washers and works like a charm.

Tank sender had a little problem too, the signal wire had a faulty heat shrink which grounded it and sent the needle to the sky... Fixed that too, its not even hard to remove the lock ring with a hammer and a crowbar.

Installed ISO connectors for the radio yesterday. So now i even have a working radio.
Even got the brakes bleeded now and it holds the pressure nicely, no spongy feeling even with vacuum in the booster so i think not too much bubbles were left in the system.

I'll take some fresh pictures in daylight how it looks.

Last edited by petiww; 02-27-2017 at 09:24 PM..
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #177
nel621
Board Member

Just busting chops. You did an excellent job on that car. Over here that car would've been in the scrap yard. Great welding skills. Engine looks good in that bay.It will be nice to see it again with e-codes and wipers. plus the interior was in very good shape too.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #178
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Just busting chops. You did an excellent job on that car. Over here that car would've been in the scrap yard. Great welding skills. Engine looks good in that bay.It will be nice to see it again with e-codes and wipers. plus the interior was in very good shape too.
Hah
Thanks btw!

I almost forgot about e-code wipers... I need to refurbrish those. Thanks for reminding me.

As I've waited too long for my fuel pump relay to show up from an other volvo guy here, I created my own.
Here it is how it starts up and runs:

Of course this will be my spare relay once i get the proper one...
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #179
petiww
Board Member

In this month i started assembling the interior, front end, rear end. Every little bit needed some elbow grease to make it acceptable.
Started with the headliner, i wanted to wash the whole thing. First attempt was not good, we could not wipe off the washing gel&water from the texture. My buddy came up with the idea of spraying the surface down with clean water from the paint gun. It came out beautifully.
Removed all the handles from my cars and managed to create 3 pretty nice units from these.

Original Volvo sun visor clips needed some trimming to get the mounting surface flat... I dont even know why it does not have a straight surface, but it seems like thats the reason for them to crack and tear apart.

Put on the right doors. Im pleased of the look, of course it has some wavyness i left there as a first timer.

Wet vacuumed the nice tan seats and floor carpets... Holy hell the floor carpets took a lot of effort to get them clean, but at least they lost that really old car smell which choked me on hot summer days...

Putting 1,6liters of 75w90 synth diff fluid in the 3.54 highway cruiser axle

Then my buddy bought a B200FT... He has two turbo engines now with the associated important parts, so who knows, brownie may get a +T in the future?!

Cleaned and regreased the headlight wipers:

Had a slight issue with aligning the gears, but it was straightforward once i understood it completely.

Glued together a replated e-code bucket with the glass for the left side, as i had two faded/rusty left ones and two good right ones.

So now the front end mainly buttoned up, commando bumper shimmed, only needs the fenders touched up and the corner lights.

Gonna leave that Lambda sond badge, makes the grille look symmetrical.

Of course the right headlight wiper skipped a few teeth and now it stops at the top.
I hope it wont do it often. :D

Last edited by petiww; 03-27-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #180
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Nice work!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #181
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Råda View Post
Nice work!
Thanks!

Doing the assembly work here and there, interior only needs the hat shelf and front kick panels. Suspension got 6mm caster spacers upfront, so its all done.

12david34 was here on first of April, we fixed the oil leaks on his ride:

Aswell as having drinks and talking a lot.

Insured the car, and currently waiting for the windshield guy to glue in my shiny new pilkington glass. It seems that a test drive will happen next week!

And oh god, i love the truck sounds the b230f makes.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #182
nel621
Board Member

It has come a long way. Good for you for sticking with it. Nice work!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #183
12david34
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiww View Post
Thanks!

Doing the assembly work here and there, interior only needs the hat shelf and front kick panels. Suspension got 6mm caster spacers upfront, so its all done.

12david34 was here on first of April, we fixed the oil leaks on his ride:

Aswell as having drinks and talking a lot.

Insured the car, and currently waiting for the windshield guy to glue in my shiny new pilkington glass. It seems that a test drive will happen next week!

And oh god, i love the truck sounds the b230f makes.
yeah, what he said!
such a great weekend

Last edited by 12david34; 04-17-2017 at 02:36 PM..
12david34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #184
bumblebeeman
Board Member

Wow just had a great read through this amazing thread. Made me want to bring my rusty wagon over for a real Eastern Europe makeover! Seriously though amazing work and you guys seem awesome.
bumblebeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #185
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeeman View Post
Wow just had a great read through this amazing thread. Made me want to bring my rusty wagon over for a real Eastern Europe makeover! Seriously though amazing work and you guys seem awesome.
Haha, thanks!

Well, weekend did not go as I planned, as some super ****ty weather kicked in and it was too cold to glue the windshield in. This way the test drive did not happen either.

I however managed to finish the centre console and all the underdash wiring. I had some problems with wires getting loose from the electric speedo and making a short contact on the cluster panel making the high beam and indicator lights work inversely... Its all solid now, no more problems like that.
Installed two USB ports simmetrical to the cig lighter. This way no cables are hanging from the centre console switches level:

Then weekend came, David came again, we messed a bit with his brakes but could not really get it perfect (slightly warped hubs causing slight pedal vibrations).
But at least we could make his OD wiring decent and working. Damn relay had cracked solders everywhere and a busted diode inside!!
I guess there was 5 240s in the small yard? Four of them is driveable.

Then today the windshield guy finally came!!
Second universal strip was big enough to cover the gaps nicely, and im very very pleased of the look!

Tomorrow is the big day!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #186
Centsableone
SNAFU - BOHICA

Default many Volvo's

Looking good. Keep the updates coming!

Sale and Purchase Feedback

Centsableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #187
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
It has come a long way. Good for you for sticking with it. Nice work!
Thanks! Definitely!
Yes, it feels good now that i kept this chassis and did the bodywork. There were times i thought about chassis swap or just selling/scrapping the whole thing. Im glad i did not do anything stupid.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #188
JPS
Board Member

that universal strip is looking clean around the window! looks Original.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #189
nel621
Board Member

Was this repair with 3 long pieces of sheet metal?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #190
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Was this repair with 3 long pieces of sheet metal?
The horizontal one? that was probably 3-4 longer pieces for easier connect to the trunk floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
that universal strip is looking clean around the window! looks Original.
Yeah, looks factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centsableone View Post
Looking good. Keep the updates coming!
Thanks!

So the test drive happened today, i took it slow and easy, made sure every suspension and brake bit is tightened down, put some spare coolant, tools and tire to the trunk and made it to the shop in front of us.

Then i rolled to the city, frequently checked temp gauge and every noise coming from the motor but everything worked as it should!
Only got a slight suspension noise from the back of the car... It turned out to be the shock upper bolts which were just thrown on months ago.
Rolled around with all the dust on it, it was quite fun! Even got a rolling thumbs up on a 4 lane street.
Also the cops pulled me over, because it does not have valid MOT right now, just a temporary permission to drive the car for 3 days.

Finally washed it:

Sorry for the blurry pics...
Pros, well suspension has almost no noise at all, engine is somewhat powerful, and its pretty damn smooth to ride! I love it!

Cons... Clutch slips... Thought the soft pedal equalt with somewhat new PP but it slips under load, you cant accelerate with more than half throttle even in 3rd gear.
Speedo has a sickness, it does not count for a while after i start the car... And also does not go over 105kmh
5th gear is noisy, gotta love volvo transmissions.

Last edited by petiww; 04-26-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 AM   #191
12david34
Board Member

Fuk YEAH!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #192
petiww
Board Member

Yeah, its alive.

Some better pics:

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #193
nel621
Board Member

What's up with the passenger side headlight wiper? Shouldn't they both be down? Car looks great.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #194
12david34
Board Member

Quote:
What's up with the passenger side headlight wiper? Shouldn't they both be down? Car looks great.
slipped cog wheel inside the motor or somethig like that. he´ll fix it in no time..he just has to spend some mooooore time driving his car, first..
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #195
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Neat!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #196
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Beautiful country.

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #197
petiww
Board Member

Quick little vid my buddy took:

Yeah, I've been just driving it in the past 3 days, put around 250km to the clock. Car feels great! Tracks straight, no weird vibrations other than low rpm acceleration. Suspension is boaty but i pretty much like it, as we have some ubercrap roads in the city it just feels awesome to roll over all the imperfections.
It pulls great, goes sideways pretty easily with these old tires, especially in wet:

Still need to cut 1/4 coil from the right front spring to get it level.. Also need to fix the front seat gangsta lean.

Yesterday night we messed with the speedo for a while at my bro's workplace (freq generator and all that jazz) and found out that the culprit is probably the alu cover sender, as it has ~3x less resistance than the origi one in the axle, so the signal is probably weak.
We will try a little 3:1 transformator in the signal wire to amplify the signal. I hope that'll do it.

Last edited by petiww; 04-28-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #198
JW240
Your current user title

Super nice work! 12david34 told me about it, have been following this for a long time!

Great to see another one saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #199
petiww
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
Super nice work! 12david34 told me about it, have been following this for a long time!

Great to see another one saved.
Thanks! I've been following your threads too! I also want that trailing arm bushing mod, and a proper diff!

Two months ago... I kinda like this pic

This too.

Last edited by petiww; 05-15-2017 at 06:54 AM..
Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #200
nel621
Board Member

Even the cat looks impressed.