home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

... Just things which woulndt have wondered me ;)

It's an insider.. To everyone hes a good parts supplier.. Just me he jackasses with crimped gaskets all the time... Because he can... ...prick...
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
JerryJS8
der Junge

So I had some time to play around with the laser cutter at work to get my header flange dialed in. Although welding a new manifold is not on my immediate list of things to do, I already had the 3D-model and time on my hands. Exporting a DXF and tweaking it to the ports was easy enough.

Laser cutter in action checking the specs on some scrap wood.

More meat around the studs, just cause, and the hypothetical warpage that may occur during welding.
Notice the weight saving slots!

Flange DXF that's floating around the internet for comparison. Decent fit if anyone was curious, just requires some "minor" porting to get it to match the flange.

Trial and error for the perfect fit!

- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) Turbo 16v (restauration project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Unique for sure.
I don't think anyone is going to tell you it looks bad.
Kinda can't go wrong under the hood.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #28
JerryJS8
der Junge

Small update, small setback

Took a saturday morning cleaning up parts, sorting out stuff. Got the cylinder head looking somewhat spiffy

And then noticed a small problem with the valve faces...

Intake

Exhaust

So, new valves all around added to the shopping cart. Starting to think it won't be ready by April

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I did recieve some chips from Hi-Tuning (i.e. Fred's chips) in the mail

Custom 1 is the 16 valve turbo version, custom 2 experiemental secret sauce

Decided to go this route since the car needs to pass inspection for the import process without any road time, and for my power goals and required reliability as a daily driver I'll be more than satisfied with what LH can offer.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #29
JerryJS8
der Junge

In the past month I've been busy with getting the little ducks in a row to get the motor refurbed. Took the old N/A block I had laying around and drilled the holes for the piston squirters, oil feed line and cleaned it up to send it out to get bored.

Other than that, not much to post what's happened lately. Got the chips installed with the eprom board (not worthy of pictures), cleaned up some wiring in the engine bay, ordered a pile of parts currently laying around in boxes (not worthy of pictures), and got parts cleaned up and sorted for assembly (also not yet worthy of pictures).

Last edited by JerryJS8; 11-01-2016 at 04:27 AM..
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #30
JerryJS8
der Junge

Machine shop called, after almost 6 weeks they're still not done boring the cylinders and resurfacing the valve seats. They're going to plane the head as well since they measured it being warped by 2mm Oh well, higher compression!

But doesn't bother me a bit, work has me tied up pretty well anyway...

On a side note I found some Galaxies and put em on the DD.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #31
JerryJS8
der Junge

Updates! Finally got the head and block all buttoned up, slowing putting it together as I have time... Maybe it'll be together and on the road for the good springtime weather :-)

Money shot with forged rods (Pun intended)

Thought I had a piston ring compressor, had to order one...

Oil return with 3/4" NPT threads

This paint is spot on with the stock color, some kind of boat motor stuff. Kinda pricey, but hardened up like a champ!

Another good find on eBay, 1998 m90 from a crashed car. Just a bummer they cut through all the auxilliaries I still need... Will give it an overhaul during the winter.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 11-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #32
JerryJS8
der Junge

Oil squirters from a Smart ForTwo

Getting there, slowly...
Head shaved, valve seats reground and then reassembled with new valves and ford 4.6L springs.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #33
JerryJS8
der Junge

So over the winter haven't had much time to get a lot done, but the motor is finally finished! Today was the first day of nice weather where I could really get some work done. Should have shot some pictures of the motor, but I was busy doing the brakes and didn't think about it. Next time I'm in the shop I'll have to get some. Motor looks great again

Got new seals for the M90 and cleaned it up.

Replaced some interior parts and the front door panels.

Brakes went pretty well... just had a small problem removing the brake lines. Wanted to do all new lines front and back since they're still the original lines, but I couldn't get em off the rear. Orderd a new flange tool to redo the brakeline ends (after cutting off the old ones) and will get the new ones mounted soon.

Also wanted to replace all the suspension bushings while I'm at it so I went ahead and ordered a set front and rear. Removed the control arms and noticed I had already done that some years ago and forgot... Oh well, it was fun putting them back in with the peace of mind that won't be bothering me anytime soon.

Recently got a sandblaster, so I started refurbishing things. All calipers got new pistons and seals cause the old ones had been sitting so long they had begun to rust.

Should have painted them black, the silver paint has already absorbed some grease and won't get clean...

All new rotors, pads, bolts and studs on all corners

302mm discs on the front

281mm rears

Found a second set of Geminis with tires for a steal on eBay, cheaper than buying new tires and mounting them on the black set I have. Europe is great, so many good parts that are otherwise really hard to get in the states.

The white hood is growing on me...

At some point we had a small impromtu Volvo meet at the garage

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-05-2017 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #34
JerryJS8
der Junge

Motor pics

Not much room to spare

Diesel motor pucks and the earlier style mounts gave me some more much needed room for the turbo oil return. Will also make my life a heck of a lot easier when I swap the turbo later.

Hydro mounts before

Solid mounts after

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-07-2017 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #35
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

so nice to have a B234FT pal over here
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #36
JerryJS8
der Junge

^
I still got to make it over to HH and meet up with you guys. Maybe that'll be my first major roadtrip!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I got some Geminis with center caps, gotta make sure they stay on there. So this morning I modelled and 3D printed an 86mm nut to be able to torque em down good.

Little workhorse

Fits just fine!

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-07-2017 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #37
skjarlie

If you are interested in making gemeni nuts for sale, I'd be interested in buying
skjarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #38
Tfrasca
Board Member

What material are you printing with?
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #39
JerryJS8
der Junge

If you need a gemini tool, wouldn't cost much to ship em overseas I suppose. Easy enough to print, just going to test mine out first and see where I might need to add some reinforcement.

Printed with ABS. Also have nylon, polycarbonate and carbon fiber filament, but ABS should be just fine for what it needs to do.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #40
skjarlie

I live in norway, so shipping cost won't be to high
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjarlie View Post
I live in norway, so shipping cost won't be to high
Wonderful!
I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I get one ready to ship out.

Last edited by JerryJS8; 04-06-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #42
swedishiron.com
I sell Volvo parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
If you need a gemini tool, wouldn't cost much to ship em overseas I suppose. Easy enough to print, just going to test mine out first and see where I might need to add some reinforcement.

Printed with ABS. Also have nylon, polycarbonate and carbon fiber filament, but ABS should be just fine for what it needs to do.
Can you make a couple more and send them to me in the USA?

I ship small packages/purchases on Fridays, and larger ticket items via FedEx in the middle of the week.
swedishiron.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #43
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishiron.com View Post
Can you make a couple more and send them to me in the USA?
Sure, looks like I got a list going now
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #44
skjarlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
Wonderful!
I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I get one ready to ship out.
Perfect
Old 04-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #45
JerryJS8
der Junge

New Gemini center cap tool has been tested to 50 ft/lbs, more than enough to keep the centers put. I probably will only torque them down to 20 ft/lbs though, with the o-rings, that should be enough to keep them from coming off. Just remember to apply copper paste to the threads before installing!

Stress marks after 50 ft/lbs

You guys are welcome to take the .stl file and gets it printed for personal use.
Here is a link to the file: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2252575

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-07-2017 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
JerryJS8
der Junge

And on to the car! As I was mulling around the shop I found a stash of old parts and a lightly used clutchnet fiber disk.

Since it was Easter weekend I was able to get away on Saturday and get the motor dropped in :-) Finally!!!!

Barebones as I left on Saturday

Original Volvo lower chassis brace. Leaving in the M46 to get the car registered with, while in the meantime I'm still scraping the necessary parts together for the M90 swap.

Electric fan conversion

Just enough clearance to make it work!

Here there's also just enough clearance...

How the motor is now just waiting on the turbo plumbing. I'm not leaving the blue silicone hose...

Last edited by JerryJS8; 07-07-2017 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: Getting rid of photobucket links
Old 04-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #47
okoye
Board Member

looks like it's coming together great! Why E-fan vs mechanical fan? Personally I prefer mechanical fan and wanted to convert my 960 turbo to use the mechanical fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #48
JerryJS8
der Junge

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
looks like it's coming together great!
Thanks! Now that it's coming together quickly I'm anxious to get out on the streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Why E-fan vs mechanical fan? Personally I prefer mechanical fan and wanted to convert my 960 turbo to use the mechanical fan.
Cause I just don't like the sound of the mechanical fan. The amount of noise it adds just drives me crazy on my 740 wagon. Also I like things shutting on and off automatically
Old 04-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #49
okoye
Board Member

The reason I have an issue with it is because of what I use my car for (drifting) so the car sits on the limiter for a few minutes and after a run that will cook the engine if the fan fails. That being said I'm not sure I can fit a mechanical fan with the tightness of my engine bay.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #50
JerryJS8
der Junge

To each his own :-)