home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #101
Wilford Brimley
enjoys the beetus

Nice work
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316428 91'744T .57 t3/t4, big ic, greddy type s, 55lb/hr injectors, bosch 044, tloa ecu/ezk, 3"amm, rsi stg 3 cam, ttr cam gear, top mount header, 3" exhaust, kevlar tbelt, e-fan, 22 psi, intrax springs, cherry turbo brace, ipd rear sway, dual front sway bars, bilstein struts, camber mod, accum mod
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #102
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
Nice work
Thanks!
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 AM   #103
Tfrasca
Board Member

Progress has been slow, but I finally have the block ready for the crank/pistons, etc. All the rebuild stuff should be here next week, then I can assemble the long block and start figuring out all the little things that need figuring.

But for now, here we sit:

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-07-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #104
Tfrasca
Board Member

Welp. The crank is somewhere between here and Sac getting reground and polished, and I am amassing more and more parts by the day, but no real progress is being made due to not having the crank.

I did take apart the 15g I got from Pat, mostly out of curiosity. It looked pretty bad, with a lot of coked oil, so I bought a 19t wheel/housing and a genuine Mitsu rebuild kit, plus an 11 blade turbine to try to keep the boost spikes at bay.

Luckily, Noah was able to use his brother's lathe to machine the CHRA for me:

Despite not having pistons in the block, I strapped the head on so I could start working on oil/water lines and all the other stuff that needs to go in this general area:

I got some K-Jet injector holders and did some dremeling so they'd fit the newer style 850 injectors. I had to file off a bit of the side of the injector itself as well, but it's still a good snug fit at the o-ring, which is what will do all the sealing. It looks like the vent port in the valve cover is going to get in the way of a fuel rail, so I'll be getting rid of the vented cover:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #105
toms_elleck
Board Member

Nice, clean engine! Good work.

Noticed that your car was spotted by the DrivingWhileAwesome guys on Instagram. Looks sweet rolling down the highway!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #106
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Nice, clean engine! Good work.

Noticed that your car was spotted by the DrivingWhileAwesome guys on Instagram. Looks sweet rolling down the highway!
Haha, yeah I saw that. Thanks. Looks pretty decent from that angle!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #107
NO_SPRK
ihazkoolaid

looks good! im loving the black wrinkle valve cover. think of just hacking off the vent near the paint line and tapping it for a right angle breather line?

got my idler arm upgrade in the mail yesterday
Old 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #108
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_SPRK View Post
looks good! im loving the black wrinkle valve cover. think of just hacking off the vent near the paint line and tapping it for a right angle breather line?

got my idler arm upgrade in the mail yesterday
Thanks!

I thought about doing that exact thing, regarding the valve cover vent. Even with the 90 degree fitting, I think it'll still be a tight fit, since I'll probably end up using a stock B230 fuel rail. Plus, the vented one might be worth more to someone if I don't take a hacksaw to it.

Get that idler arm installed, it tightened things up considerably on my car.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #109
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Tfrasca,

Love the build! Thanks for sending me the link (will steal your rims idea). I love the injector holders and the VC. Did you have that powdercoated? Will continue to follow.

Thanks,
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #110
mblue240
Board Member

Why not use the earlier fuel rail? The one that bends down near that vent and has the fpr mounted lower?

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #111
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post
Tfrasca,

Love the build! Thanks for sending me the link (will steal your rims idea). I love the injector holders and the VC. Did you have that powdercoated? Will continue to follow.
Thanks, man. The valve cover is just painted with VHT wrinkle black spray paint and then cured for about an hour at about 200 degrees. It seems to cure really hard and is supposed to hold up to heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
Why not use the earlier fuel rail? The one that bends down near that vent and has the fpr mounted lower?
I actually have one of those fuel rails from the 760 this motor came from. I doubt I'll be able to use it though, since I'll be building a manifold and the TB will end up right where that fuel rail would be. I ended up just flush cutting that vent nipple and JB welding the hole shut. I'll figure out the fuel rail situation, then drill and tap for a smaller vent port that will clear the rail/FPR.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #112
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Where did you get the injector hold downs?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #113
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Where did you get the injector hold downs?

Thanks,
They're just stock Kjet holders from IPD.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #114
vintagewrench
Board Member

Intresting project and nice work!

I think you need this for a parts hauler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S-S-/2...m=262563628470
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #115
HUB
Needs more cowbell

I love the rims so much on your 142, I bought one. Will see how it fits and what I need to do. If everything works out,I will buy the other three. Look forward to seeing updates.

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #116
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
Intresting project and nice work!

I think you need this for a parts hauler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S-S-/2...m=262563628470
Damn! I really like that one.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #117
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
I love the rims so much on your 142, I bought one. Will see how it fits and what I need to do. If everything works out,I will buy the other three. Look forward to seeing updates.

Thanks,
Nice. Will you have them redrilled or use adapters? I have adapters if you need them.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #118
Tfrasca
Board Member

Minor progress on the motor. Long block is assembled, and most of the other bits are being sorted out. I got a Melling M181, so I need to find a stock B23 oil transfer tube (I have an early B21 now, which works with a B20 pump). Then I need to shorten the pickup tube by an inch or so. Then I'll be able to bolt the oil pan on and the motor will be all sealed up.

I ordered some lines for turbo oil supply and return, got more LH 2.4 parts (harness from '89 240, distributor, CPS and bracket).

Getting there:
Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #119
vintagewrench
Board Member

[QUOTE=Tfrasca;5451670]Damn! I really like that one.[/QUOTE}

I thought you would, I do to - the engine is looking great.
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #120
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Nice. Will you have them redrilled or use adapters? I have adapters if you need them.
Shouldn't need to. The bolt pattern is the same for my car.

Thanks,
Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #121
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Shouldn't need to. The bolt pattern is the same for my car.

Thanks,
Oh cool, I didn't know they were 114. Good luck with the fitment.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #122
Tfrasca
Board Member

Slow progress on the motor, but it's pretty much ready to drop in. Like I said earlier, I got an M181 and had noah244ti shorten it to the B20 pump length. I threw an IPD spring (blue is stock, black is stiffer) and reinforcement sleeve on it for good measure.

I also made a really simple baffle for the pan. I have a really well-baffled B20 pan that I got from Pat, but the HiPerfAuto baffle plate got in the way of the M181 by a decent margin, so I decided on something simpler. This won't be a track car, and I think this baffle should help the oil starvation on left turn issues that the upright motors have. It's not pretty, but it's the inside of the pan, so I'm ok with it.

I also got 19t oil lines sorted. AN straight adapter off the block to a banjo on the housing, and a simple barb on the return from the housing, with Aeroquip hose going to the Yoshifab return adapter on the block. Simple. Also pictured is the Kinugawa wastegate I got, with an 8 psi spring for now. I'm hoping that will help keep the drivetrain alive for longer. Since this was taken, I also put a 240 oil cooler plate on, with banjos for easy hose routing to the stock oil cooler. (Thanks RWC)

I think that's basically it for the motor until I get the intake manifold. I'm getting pretty anxious to get it going, especially every time I have to drive uphill with the tired old B18.

To keep myself busy, I brought the car to a friend of mine who does high end body work and paint, and had him help me shine up the old paint. We decided that the roof and hood are so far gone, that we might as well spray clear over it to seal it up and keep the rest of the primer from washing off in the rain and running down the sides of the car. We masked it off and used some decent rattle can clear, nothing special. Then he took some rubbing compound to the rest of the paint. The old girl cleans up nicely.

Finally, huge thanks to NoSprk for finding me some tan headrest that perfectly match the new interior. Big improvement over the black ones I had in there.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #123
toms_elleck
Board Member

What a sweet car!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #124
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
What a sweet car!
Thanks! It's coming along...
Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #125
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Love the progress! The engine is SUPER clean!