home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #176
Tfrasca
Board Member

I've gotten a lot done on the 142. I'm still waiting on the manifold, so it doesn't run yet, but it's at the point that it should fire up as soon as I get that last piece.

The fuel tank ended up being a project in itself, mostly because I made it more difficult than it needed to be. I wanted some amount of baffling, so I had the tank boiled and cut it open to see what I was dealing with. The pick up was tiny, about 5/16" at best, and there was no return at all, since mine is an early carb tank. Still, the tank has zero rust and I didn't want to make a fuel cell or have fuel lines coming up into my trunk.

I had a spare B20 oil pan with a Hi Performance trap door baffle in it, so I cut that out and fashioned a fuel tank baffle out of it.

Then I made the fuel pickup out of 1/2" tube, connected it to a 1/2 NPT bung, and welded that in. The return is basically the same thing, only with 5/16" tube and 1/4 NPT.

Once the baffle, pickup, and return were welded in, I made a patch out of a piece of 16ga mild steel and a piece of the tank I cut out. I migged everything up, and took it to the radiator shop for pressure testing and sealing. Turns out, nearly all my welds leaked a bit (not surprised), but they brazed over them and the tank tested fine.

For the pump, I got a 140e pump bracket and modified it slightly to fit between the tank and the passenger butt cheek. I put a stock Bosch main pump in the bracket, and found a cheap pre-pump filter to run inline, since I couldn't put a filter sock on the pick up in the tank.

All that work in the trunk made me hate looking at the giant Deka that I had mounted back there to give me room for intercooler tubing up front, so I bought a PC925 and made a tray for it to go back in the engine bay.

That's it for now. I'm hoping to see the manifold next week, then I can figure out what fuel rail to run, hook up fuel lines and fire it up. Still shooting for Davis, but it's getting close...

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-08-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #177
HUB
Needs more cowbell

Amazing!
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #178
sksmith
Board Member

Nice job on the fuel tank.
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #179
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Any chance of fixing the photo links on the first page?
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #180
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post
Amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Nice job on the fuel tank.
Thanks, guys!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #181
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Any chance of fixing the photo links on the first page?
Fixed.

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-07-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #182
toms_elleck
Board Member

Excellent! Love the oil pan baffle idea. Great work!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #183
SquareD
An Anomaly

Nice build, love the attention to detail. This thing's gonna be hoot!
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #184
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Excellent! Love the oil pan baffle idea. Great work!
Thanks, Thomas! The funny thing is that I thought about how well that baffle would work, thinking I had thrown that whole oil pan away. For a few days I debated on what to do, then I actually looked in my shed and the pan was sitting right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Nice build, love the attention to detail. This thing's gonna be hoot!
Thanks, I hope so!

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-07-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #185
Tfrasca
Board Member

More time wasting because I still can't start this thing...

A couple pages ago, I posted a photo of my sweet boost gauge mounted to the left of the steering wheel. I decided I also wanted oil pressure, which took that spot, and the boost gauge had to go somewhere else. I don't smoke, so the ash tray was the obvious spot. This is the trouble I went through just to put a boost gauge in a place where I can't see it very well.

Pulled the dash facia thing off, peeled the vinyl off. This is the square for the ash tray.

Cut out a steel gauge holder, that I would JB weld into the aluminum facia. It's actually JB welded to a larger piece, that's JB welded to the back of the aluminum for more surface area. Not my proudest moment, but I didn't feel like ordering 16ga aluminum.

Got the steel and the aluminum to stick, then I Bondoed over the front to smooth it out a bit.

Then I got out some vinyl and and Exacto.

And now I have a boost gauge instead of an ashtray. Meh.

I also got the oil pressure sender mounted with a stainless line from the hose shop.

Hopefully the next post will involve a Yoshifab manifold and burnouts...

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-09-2017 at 12:09 AM..
Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #186
sksmith
Board Member

Hey Tfrasca, I like that remote oil pressure sender. Can you post some details about the hose, the fittings you used, etc.?
I added a Volvo Turbo oil gauge to my 142, but it is a tight fit under the exhaust manifold. Moving it over to the frame rail might be a cool option.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #187
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Hey Tfrasca, I like that remote oil pressure sender. Can you post some details about the hose, the fittings you used, etc.?
I added a Volvo Turbo oil gauge to my 142, but it is a tight fit under the exhaust manifold. Moving it over to the frame rail might be a cool option.
Thanks,
Steve
Hey Steve. I went to the local hose shop with the sender and asked them to make me a 22" stainless high pressure line that would fit a 1/8 NPT hole in the block. They set me up with a brass 1/8 NPT to 4an adapter for the block, the hose that they crimped 4an fittings onto, and another 4an to 1/8 NPT adapter for the sender side. The clamp is a 1.5" ID thing that I had to order because NO ONE stocks that size here in town.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #188
sksmith
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
Hey Steve. I went to the local hose shop with the sender and asked them to make me a 22" stainless high pressure line that would fit a 1/8 NPT hole in the block. They set me up with a brass 1/8 NPT to 4an adapter for the block, the hose that they crimped 4an fittings onto, and another 4an to 1/8 NPT adapter for the sender side. The clamp is a 1.5" ID thing that I had to order because NO ONE stocks that size here in town.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:04 AM   #189
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Thanks!
Forgot to mention, it has to be stainless-wrapped hose because it grounds through the threads.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #190
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Pre-pump filter. I've read about problems with filters between the tank and the pump. As I understand it, if the filter gets restricted, the pump pulls a vacuum and the fuel evaporates causing vapor lock. The pre-filter only filters out the larger debris?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #191
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Pre-pump filter. I've read about problems with filters between the tank and the pump. As I understand it, if the filter gets restricted, the pump pulls a vacuum and the fuel evaporates causing vapor lock. The pre-filter only filters out the larger debris?
I read that too, but as I understand it, you want a higher flowing 10 micron filter before the pump. A typical filter that goes after the pump is more like 100 microns, usually.

Also, surface area plays a big role in a filter getting clogged, so you want to find something with a pleated cylindrical mesh element, instead of a single circular disc.

That's just what I gathered from reading a bit (https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/fuel-filtration/), but it seems logical to me.

Last edited by Tfrasca; 04-10-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #192
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Makes sense. Don't want big chunks in your pump.

Finnegan from HRM was raving about this:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Fancy-schmancy.

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #193
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Makes sense. Don't want big chunks in your pump.

Finnegan from HRM was raving about this:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

Fancy-schmancy.

That stuff is rad. I actually thought about it, but since it acts as the filter, it needs to be replaced eventually, and I never had a good plan for an access port in the tank.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:07 AM   #194
Tfrasca
Board Member

Well, I was supposed to be paying for a manifold for this build, but that ended up falling through. After some consideration, I decided to build one with Noah's help. That process is about 1/2 done. Here's an update, for posterity.

I bought a 3/8" plate and cut the flange out:

I was going to skip the velocity stacks, since I wasn't finding anything readily available in the correct size. Then I realized that I had some extra runner material, so I figured I'd try to make some. I made zero calculations, and none of this is based on science. I really just wanted to make some stacks.

Started out with some 42mm tube.

Hammered a steel cone into it to give it the taper.

Clamped a steel shelf thing to my bench for a 1/4" (ish) radius, and started tapping.

Found a drum sander thing that fit the ID of the tube, and chucked it up in the drill press. Proceeded to sand, a lot.

Several hours later, I now have this assortment of manifold parts. The stacks will get welded to the runners, unlike the photo.

Hopefully we will start to jig everything up and get it welded next week.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #195
HUB
Needs more cowbell

The manifold looks amazing. Can't wait to start mine.
HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #196
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Forgot to mention, it has to be stainless-wrapped hose because it grounds through the threads.
I've done this in the past on other types of cars -- I just soldered a piece of copper wire to the body of the sender and then grounded the wire. An alternative if you don't want to use the wire braid hose.

Really nice work on this build.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #197
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
That's a gorgeous site
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #198
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUB View Post
The manifold looks amazing. Can't wait to start mine.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #199
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
I've done this in the past on other types of cars -- I just soldered a piece of copper wire to the body of the sender and then grounded the wire. An alternative if you don't want to use the wire braid hose.

Really nice work on this build.
Yup, that would definitely work. And thank you!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #200
toms_elleck
Board Member

Dude! Whoa!

BTW, you can buy different length cheapie steel velocity stacks from aftermarket aircooled VW catalog companies like CIP1 or JBugs. CB Performance sells really nice die cast aluminum ones too. But what you did is way more awesome!
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote