home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
vanquishfist
Board Member

I had those wheels for a while, ran them without the lug caps, looked better to me.

It made all sorts of interesting noises.
vanquishfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
LatentWagen
Board Member

The ones on the car now? Or the Sirius that I'm planning to refinish?

After a respray, the Sirius wheels will wear V70 style small caps. I think they'll look great that way. The ones on the car now look better with the caps on, in my opinion... maybe it's just my ugly old wheel studs and lug nuts that are killing it for me.
LatentWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #28
vanquishfist
Board Member

Yes the Aries wheels, thought they looked better on my car like this.

vanquishfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #29
LatentWagen
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquishfist View Post
Yes the Aries wheels, thought they looked better on my car like this.
Looks good! Though your wheels look like 16" as opposed to my 15", from that pic, at least. Maybe it's just the lower-profile tires. I run a 40 series on my Subaru, and my Volvo tires are 60's

When I can take some time to detail the wheels I'll pop the stock centers off and see how V70 small centers look on them. I also need to find a passenger side windshield trim piece, as the absence of one is becoming more conspicuous, the more the rest of the car shapes up...

Still been procrastinating on the water pump, though. Maybe this week

Last edited by LatentWagen; 09-06-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #30
LatentWagen
Board Member

Since it's too cold to wrench outside, I cleaned up 3/4 of the Sirius wheels. May skip the refinish, they look pretty good!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
LatentWagen
Board Member

Thanks to billy780, I got a functional bit of replacement windshield trim and managed to re-install it without breaking all the clips.

The trick for those brittle bastards is a little bit of heat, and gently pushing up on them from the base. A body & trim tool is great, but a big screwdriver or small chisel with a rag around it works the same. If you're careful and don't push too hard, they'll slide up and off the metal post without breaking.

When putting them back on, make sure the windshield channel is clean, a little sealant or wax for protection never hurts. Install the clips first on the trim, lining them up above the posts in the channel, with a little floss or string laid perpendicular across/above each clip. This will serve to push them back down on the posts when you push the trim back into the channel.

Trim is now snugly installed, with 3/4 clips fully functional, and one with a broken collar:

Apparently these are available from Volvo Classic now, but $$$, and I'd feel the need to replace all the trim with new to match. Not happening
Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #32
LatentWagen
Board Member

edit: Will try to continue with the smaller pics on this page. Feel like I should edit/replace on the first page but that's a lot of work

So I've been driving the car more as my Subaru has been out of commission. With funds allocated toward the Suby rebuild (fully built motor, large twin-scroll turbo, and fuel mods will be going in), progress on the Volvo has been only out of necessity. However, since, it's my main transportation now, it's got to get down the road somewhat dependably. My main issue, the leaky water pump, seems to have healed itself, likely the result of cutting the coolant I was putting in it with tap water.

Last month I replaced the brake booster, as well as the alternator and battery. Also got a BT radio for her, and will set about installing that soon. But first, the priority is new pads and rotors all around. Fluid, too. Then an alignment, because I got a new tie-rod inner & outer to replace the bent inner rod I have on my driver's side. Also a new set of endlinks because whatever bent the tie-rod also broke the DS endlink! Then on to the transmission leak at the prop-shaft... ok enough with the maintenance rant, here are a few bath pics:

Last edited by LatentWagen; 09-06-2017 at 08:47 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #33
LatentWagen
Board Member

And a recent engine-bay pic with the new alt and booster:

Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #34
LatentWagen
Board Member

Some decent progress on the front end: new tie-rod inner and outers, boots, end links, ball joints, and behind that rusty dust shield, new hub assemblies, rotors, calipers, and pads, with all new hardware. Could benefit from a little chassis bracing, but overall she's handling better than expected.

New turbo & intercooler hoses next, as well as a valve shimming
Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #35
SquareD
An Anomaly

Nice work! In my experience, slow and steady leads to a nice result.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:18 AM   #36
PNW760

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatentWagen View Post
Here are a few interior before & afters, Wagatha cleaned up alright. Will scrub those dirty/coolant soaked carpets when I do the heater core.

What did you use to clean your interior? My wagon is in need of a really deep clean and Im not sure what or where to start.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #37
LatentWagen
Board Member

Just a few damp microfiber hand towels, and a detail brush. Toothbrushes work well too, provided you're gentle. Compressed air also helps if you've access to it.