home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #126
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
getting stuck in traffic is a bitch to a guy with old knees.
I hear that. I'm 28, but my left knee is definitely 60+

So is this thing going to be out and about this driving season?
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #127
Broke4speed
Board Member

Yessir! The front end is back together, the exhaust is done, and all it needs now is a bit of coolant and the e-fan wires connected to the megasquirt. By sunday, I hope to drive it around the block .
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #128
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Awesome!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #129
Broke4speed
Board Member

A buddy of mine got a 3D printer...so I now have a left-side vent pod .
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #130
Broke4speed
Board Member

It fits amazingly well, and that's a good thing...because the OG vent is now a puzzle of busted plastic :(. The gauge is just a test fit, I will have a 52mm GPS speedometer in there eventually.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 AM   #131
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Neat!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #132
Broke4speed
Board Member

There are no Saab 900s up here anymore, thanks to emissions testing (crushing) and rust/salt, so I made my own coolant T for a BMW fan switch. A piece of 1.5" pipe, a 14mm x 1.5 nut, a crush washer, a welder, and a can of paint = two speed fan control.

Of course, the switch I grabbed yesterday is 80*c/88*c...so I am now waiting for Amazon to deliver a 91/99 to me. I had hoped to drive it this weekend, but I guess I have to wait.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #133
Broke4speed
Board Member

Oooh...may be spending my upcoming weekend stripping parts off a 90 760 turbo...
It's good having friends who own junkyards ;).
Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #134
Eviltwin
Board Member

Chad!
Small word...you may remember me from the likes of "Eviltwin" from OVD circa 2003ish.
Just went over your built and I gotta say I'm happy to see a local of your talent and commitment tacking a dreaded b21a carb conversion.

I just picked up the 83 245 DL that sat on Kijiji for some time. Plans are stage 0 for this summer while I amass an LS conversion for next year.

I'll likely bump into you @ one of the junkyards, and don't be a stranger if you're looking for a hand to wrench on the brick!
Eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #135
Broke4speed
Board Member

Hey man, how's it going! I thought that might be the same screen name, good to see ya.
I was so tempted by that wagon, but I didn't need another carbed car, haha. I completely missed your post, sorry about that. I've got carb spares if you need anything, and a spare BW55 three-speed that will probably get tossed...so if you want one...lol.

Project updates:
Well, it made it outside:

It is running on MS1, and the fans are now on a BMW two-speed switch. Everything works great...except it's barely driveable :(. It will fire up and idle great, but it refuses to rev cleanly, and if you try to hold a steady throttle, it will do so for a few seconds...then die. While dying, it goes dead lean, so I am at a loss. It seems like it's not getting fuel properly, but it WILL idle fine. If I crank the accel enrichment up to crazy heights, I can rev it, but the minute my foot stabilizes at a steady state...lean and die. I'm frustrated, and it's probably something simple. BAH.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #136
Broke4speed
Board Member

The verdict is...dead fuel pump. With a mechanical fuel pressure gauge installed, I'm only seeing 15psi fuel pressure. Pinching the return didn't raise the pressure, so I removed the line and turned on the pump. No fuel came out of the FPR. Then I replaced that with a spare one I had...same result. I removed it again and turned on the pump, fuel came out of the rail. Ok, that means the NICE NEW AIRTEX PUMP I JUST PUT IN IS DEAD. MUTHERF**KING HELL.

I'm going AEM this time, screw the OEM-style stuff.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #137
Broke4speed
Board Member

HALLELUJAH! Pulled the pump, and the OEM volvo hose I re-used to go from the Airtex pump to the sending unit had a tear in it. Replaced it, and now everything is right again. I even drove it 5km, up and down the road I live on.

7psi...2" exhaust...no tune...it was slow but I don't care .
Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 AM   #138
John242Ti
manofewords

At least it's a driveable car again, which is a good thing.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1987 764Ti - beige, Aw71 (for sale). 1989 745Ti - red, Aw71. 1992 245 - white, Aw70 (for sale).
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #139
Broke4speed
Board Member

I'm very happy about that part .
Now I just have to button up all the little stuff (put the headlights back in, reassemble the under-dash, tune, etc) and it'll be ready for driving.

...I'm also going to double the boost. 7psi is just not going to cut it ;).
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #140
Broke4speed
Board Member

Last night I adjusted the throttle spool/kickdown cable throw, and set my throttle opening properly. I've been having an issue with extremely low idle vac (61kpa/10 InHg), which bothers me. I did the last round of testing with all the intake piping off, and my boost leak checker...which I realised was useless after I heard air escaping through the open valves.

The kickdown cable was too tight, so it was keeping me from getting 100% throttle. I was only getting 75% total, so I'm hoping that the too-tight kickdown cable (actually a throttle valve cable) was creating false load at idle/overall. I'll find out tonight when I fire it up.

If it doesn't help, then I'm going to do a leakdown test, and a compression test.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #141
Broke4speed
Board Member

Perseverance for the win.
Adjusting the TV cable didn't change the vacuum reading, but now I've got full throttle articulation...so that's not wasted time. What I did find though, was that the stupid little vacuum line that goes to the flame trap was causing my low vac readings because I had it teed into the vac line going to the boost gauge/megasquirt/FPR. Now I know why it had it's own port off the manifold in stock form...sigh. I removed it from the vac circuit, and all is good again. 20 InHg on the gauge, and 35kpa in Tunerstudio .

...now unfortunately I won't get to tune for a while, due to a surprise snowstorm...but that gives me time to put everything back together.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #142
Broke4speed
Board Member

I'm officially ready to get the car out...if only the snow would go away!

-NGK BPR7ES plugs installed
-GPS speedometer installed (too big for my 3D printed vent pod, so I had to use plain plastic :( ).
-Trim panel for my AEM wideband modded to show the gauge.
-Proper O/D relay installed (had an 86+ white one installed, swapped it for a pre-86 Orange to get the dash light to work properly).

Tomorrow I'll be installing the grille, headlights, and undertray. I could have kept going today...but I'm old, and a coffee on the couch with my cats, and the new episode of Roadkill sounded great .
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #143
Broke4speed
Board Member

...OR I could have an allergic reaction to some medication I'm on (not any more!) and break out in hives over 90% of my body...have to clean up my basement after the sump pump dies and it floods to a depth of 1" before we notice...and put my back out getting into the car to go buy a new pump.

WTF...the universe dealt me some karmic retribution this weekend, but I don't remember kicking any puppies.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #144
Broke4speed
Board Member

That back injury turned into some extreme sciatic nerve pain that had/has me in bed, praying to any magic space fairy that will listen. I do not wish this on anyone :(.

I did manage to do a few things this week though. I bought a ghetto-fabulous MS2 v3.0 from a local guy that needs MASSIVE refurbishing. It was very poorly modded for various things, and two pins were broken off the daughterboard. First thing I did was scrounge some pins and replace the busted ones, so the processor fits properly. Second thing is a WIP...undoing and rebuilding the board. I've got all the components I need, but I guess it'll be a couple weeks before I can get to it now :(.

I'm going to convert it to MS3, so the repair on the MS2 processor is mainly for testing purposes...and possibly to convert my MS1 v2.2 to MS2 for future use .
Old 03-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #145
Broke4speed
Board Member

Pain...lessening. Allergic reaction...gone. Basement...dry!

Car...receiving love again! I picked up a 'chinese' bluetooth module and now my MS1 is bluetooth enabled. 4 wires = .

Old 04-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #146
Broke4speed
Board Member

The weather has finally taken a turn for the better, so I went for a drive today to shake out any bugs and start the tune. My PCV box leaks, so I think I need a new gasket, but that's about it. I'm kinda stoked .

10psi on a 16T is NOT fast...but it's still fun to drive. I need better suspension, more timing up top, and a 2.5-3" exhaust. Right now, it's breathing through a 2" stocker...and it is choked down pretty badly.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #147
Broke4speed
Board Member

Successful two-hour cruise, and now the tune is dialed in. MS1 is really hurting for fine injector control, but it's not doing too badly with the 440s. I'm pretty happy with the way it's running .

Old 04-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #148
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Nice! Yeah today is lovely. Unfortunately my car is still surrounded by snow and fallen tree branches :/
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #149
Broke4speed
Board Member

Boring, same-old picture time, but this time it's taken at my mom's place! The wife and I went out there for easter lunch, and it's a good hour, maybe hour and a half drive from my place. It performed flawlessly, except for the stuck fuel gauge. A bit of banging on the top of the tank solved that . The conversion to EFI has successfully added quite a bit of fuel economy, thankfully. The single Solex and BW55 did NOT make for a great hwy cruiser. Now, with the AW71L keeping me at 2200rpm at 100kph (62mph, the limit here), I'm getting to the half tank what I used to get with a full one.

Hopefully I can get started on the 3" exhaust this week, and my new rear shocks should show up tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #150
Broke4speed
Board Member

Exhaust stuff has started accumulating. This weekend's task is getting the rear can installed. I got some of the nice Vibrant oval piping to help with the under-axle routing, and will put a V-band in there somewhere to make it easy to disconnect the rear section if any axle work has to be done.

Gratuitous shot of boring rear shocks. I don't really want to lower the rear much, but it is soffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, so I'm going to give a budget option a try.