home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
schaff70
Board Member

Default Blue 92 - The Kid is Back

The Civic wound up not working out. Too low for old Houston roads. The girl drives 30 minutes each way to work at a salon in the heights. It was partly a bad decision on my part. I let my wants interfere with what would have been practical. Sold the Civic on Monday. I was able to keep the new Kenwood radio and Kicker 6x9s from the rear deck.

Made a couple calls and drove to Austin last night. Picked up the U-Haul trailer with the Land Cruiser this morning & dragged Blue 92 home.

Bought it from Austin Vol-Tech. Shop went through the entire car prior to putting it up for sale.

203,000 miles, rebuilt transmission, new rear main seal, cold A/C, really clean interior and all original. Probably had 1 respray a while back. Body has some some minor battle damage, no rust.

Only plans are to cut 1 coil all around, E-codes, install the gold wheels, pick up a BMW spare tire for the trunk, a couple gauges plus a tach, radio / speakers, dash mat, and replace some broken trim on the rear shelf.
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #2
John242Ti
manofewords

Not bad.

I'd move the radio down below, then use a Turbo/GLT gauge cluster above the vents... Ambient temp, oil pressure, volts. If desired, put either a fuel economy or an oil temperature gauge below the small clock.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1987 764Ti - beige, Aw71 (for sale). 1989 745Ti - red, Aw71. 1992 245 - white, Aw70 (for sale).
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:22 AM   #3
kzoc
Board Member

I hope it a good deal for your sake...

I've seen some real shady things from them, along with some serious over-pricing for what was sold.

That being said, it's a nice looking ride...
Old 10-02-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

boy, i wish my dad had bought me a series of fun cars.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
schaff70
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoc View Post
I hope it a good deal for your sake...

I've seen some real shady things from them, along with some serious over-pricing for what was sold.

That being said, it's a nice looking ride...
Well, I had to take my chances. 240's here in Texas are pretty scarce. Everything my wife & I looked at in our price range here in Houston was either a salvage vehicle, neglected or wound up having issues. I couldn't find a decent E36 BMW which was our first option. Checked out 1 sedan that had good miles and an automatic, but when I pulled the oil cap, the oil was milky & green - head gasket. I'm afraid of the E46 BMWs due to all the plastics they went with in the cooling system. Early 2000's Mercedes had issues with the Kompressor cars. 1996-2005 Hondas had auto transmission issues and are a ticking time bomb. After the terrible experience we had with my son's Protege5 Mazdas are out also. Came close to picking up a 1995 BMW 525i, but the suspension was tired and had other items that needed work pretty soon. All the Acura RSXs in my price range were beat down and the TSX is still just out of reach.

01-04 S60s are plentiful, but that transmission.....

For as big as Houston is, the market sucks for used cars. Craigslist for sale by owner is 85% dealer ads and I have no idea where owners advertise cars for sale anyplace else.

At least with a 240 if anything comes up I can probably handle fixing it.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
schaff70
Board Member

Because the gold wheels never did sell with the adapters, I ran the remaining 2 up to Firestone for new valve stems. Dug the adapters out of storage & went to work this afternoon.

Front needs moar lower. I'll try and grab a spring compressor this week & chop a coil off the front. I'm fine with the rears the way they sit.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

rear is perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
MrBill
fige=500Dollar Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere View Post
rear is perfect
If you're going on a safari.

Dump dat bitch, player.
1978 244dl - Down for paint/16vt
93 245 - Kaplhenke Shortened coilovers with adjustable Koni Reds, adjustable rear spring perches with revalved bilstein S-10 shocks. Turbo 2.5 motor in the works.
10 v50 - Unobtainium T5 R-Design AWD M66
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Clean ride.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:16 AM   #10
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Yeah, Vol-Tech royally screwed up my car over the span of five years... my new mechanic said it looked like someone had thrown a grenade under the dash with how badly torn apart my air ducting was. Tried selling us a $400 ECU saying that the misfire codes were "ghost codes" that "didn't mean anything." I'm all but certain they were taking good parts off my car to put on other cars.

Not to mention they ripped my bro off for an 850.

That said, great looking car - can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 10-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
schaff70
Board Member

Well, plans have changed again. Looks like the wife is accepting a good job in San Antonio. I don't feel comfortable with girl driving around on these wheels on adapters while I'm 3 hours away.

Picked up a set of Hydras from PNP this morning with tires that weren't rolling eggs.

Going to drop off the gold wheels at Discount tire to split the tires & rims. Wheels with adapters will be up for sale this weekend for a bargain.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
schaff70
Board Member

A couple weeks ago I installed the Kenwood radio along with the Kicker 6x9s from the green car plus a Kicker 150x2 amp for the rear.

This morning I installed the new front speakers - a set of Rockford Fosgate R1525x2. I picked them because of the shallow mounting depth and the price was fair at $32 from Amazon. I added a pair of bass blockers that will turn them into more of a mid with a tweeter because the rears are pretty loud & cover plenty of bass in the back.

I pulled the door card, drilled out the rivets & installed the baskets with new u-clip hardware and screws. I ran all new speaker wire to the head unit and pulled out the wanky wires the previous owner installed. Made sure there were no hot leads remaining before I buttoned it back together.

I also installed the black arm rest that never fit into the silver wagon because of race seat or the green machine because of prelude seats.

I was planning on installing a set of side marker lights until I ran into trouble pulling the headlights. All the nuts are rusted to the bolts. Not sure what I'm going to do about that, so the side marker lights are on hold.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
schaff70
Board Member

Not much is new. Picked up a set of red/clear tail lights from a local guy selling off his parts stash. Installed them at Christmas.

Have my eye on a set of wheels I'm hoping to pick up this weekend as well as some suspension parts. Trying to make some slight improvements before we driver to the Tail of the Dragon in March. I asked her what she wanted for her 18th birthday & that was her only answer.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
slow240
Home Schooled

I always liked hydras on a 240 personally.

I'm glad she's still in a 240, the first one did its job and kept her safe. Hopefully this onell never have to lol.
'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #15
schaff70
Board Member

IPD bars are paid for & on the way.

Spent another $200 tonight on these. 16x8 et42 5x114

photo IMG_1537.jpg
Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
InTheWhite
Board Member

Nice with BBS!
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
schaff70
Board Member

Went home last weekend for my daughter's birthday. I was able to finally get the odometer to work consistently. Disassembled the instrument cluster & didn't really see anything wrong, no cracked solder on the circuit board, no debris in any of the odometer gears. Put it all back together & it works

Painted the IPD bars & installed the front bar Sunday morning. Skies were looking too much like rain to attempt the rear and I didn't have any appropriate grubby clothes to be out in the rain wrenching. It will go on the next time I'm home.

I asked my daughter what she wanted for her 18th birthday & even offered a skydiving trip. Her first answer was a road trip to drive the Tail of the Dragon, so we're heading east on March 11th for a run on the Tail on Sunday the 12th.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #18
slow240
Home Schooled

dude your kid is awesome lol, I wonder if ill be busy that weekend, maybe I could convince Faith to make a Tail run
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #19
soclosenotnear
Board Member

That's good stuff.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #20
schaff70
Board Member

Debating on installing these sweet rear window shades I picked up today out of a 244 the next time I'm home. I was able to find a clean working driver's side mirror and really nice front fender black belt line trim & 1 for the driver's side door also.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #21
kzoc
Board Member

You should send her up to Austin on 04/08 to show off your handiwork.
kzoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #22
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

It's pretty friggin' rad that your daughter wants to go to the dragon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #23
schaff70
Board Member

Write-up with more photos tomorrow.

2000 miles in 4 days, broken exhaust, snow, Slow240, Tail of the Dragon & a Bigfoot museum.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #24
MoCounselor
Board Member

Very cool!

Whatever happened to those BBS? ;)
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #25
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Frig I love Aaron's car
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote