Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #26
schaff70
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCounselor View Post
Very cool!

Whatever happened to those BBS? ;)
They're in the garage. Have to take care of the important stuff first. Once I gather up some spare cash I'll get tires and adapters ordered.
schaff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #27
MoCounselor
Board Member

Cool deal. They should look great on the car!
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
schaff70
Board Member

Thursday after work I drove from San Antonio to Houston to prep for the trip and complete a wasted trip to the VA.

When my daughter got home from work at 7 I packed up while she at something for dinner. At 7:30 we hit the road with a goal of hitting Lafayette Louisiana. It started off fine until we hit the highway. Had a bad steering shimmy at anything over 65. Because I'm 3 hours away in San Antonio while my daughter stayed behind in Houston to finish her senior year in high school it went slightly undiagnosed. She took it to her school vo-tech class thinking it needed an alignment - which was completed and done pretty good aside from a now crooked steering wheel.

Made it to our first stop without any real issues around 11:30 pm. Woke up at 7 for a terrible hotel breakfast & trekked on. About 1/3 of the way across Mississippi we peeled off looking for a shop to handle a quick wheel balance. Located a Wal-Mart, but they were booked solid the next 3 hours. According to the girl scheduling it was because tax refunds were in and everybody was buying tires. We didn't have 3 extra hours, so back to the highway.

Pushed on across Alabama and into Georgia then Tennessee. Forgot about the eastern time change, so we lost an hour for that. By the time we rolled into Chattanooga it was dark and beginning to snow. Let off the throttle and the car got loud. Gave it some gas and it was marginally quieter, but off throttle was pretty loud again. Off the highway and into a covered gas station.

Crawled up under the car to find the center resonator pipe leading to the muffler broke loose. Located an O'Reilly 5 miles away and picked up a slip fit pipe and pair of clamps as a temporary fix. Of course it was west, cold and snowing at this point as I was under the car patching things up.

Grabbed some solid grub at Taco Mamacita in Chattanooga. Initially there was about a 45 minute wait,, but the hostess felt bad when I told her I hadn't eaten since Louisiana and snaked us a couple seats at the bar.

From there is was a short 45 minute drive to Loudon Tennessee where the hotel was reserved. Checked in around 10:30, but lost a second hour due to time change.

Sunday morning we woke up, sent a text to Slow240 who was staying on the NC side at a fellow turbobricker's house and headed east. Highway 129 started about 30 minutes from the hotel. I did the initial drive because I wasn't sure about road conditions and I heard snow was in the forecast.

At the start on the Tennessee side.

Stopped so she could take black & white photos for her photography class at a "rapey-looking" building acording to Slow240.

At the highest point on 129 there was a light snow, but it didn't stick around past 11.

Was supposed to meet Aaron at the NC side at 9 am. He was a no show by 9:30, so I let her drive. We drove up to the first scenic overlook and turned around to head back. Didn't pass a single car in either direction until I saw a lifted blue Volvo round the corner about 3 miles from the end on the NC side. Turned around and met up with Aaron and ran back up to the scenic view for some photos.

Ran back and forth a few times. I let my daughter drive as much as she wanted. She let me take a run playing leapfrog with Slow240. I think I surprised her with what her car can do. She was a little scared at first, but by the time we were ready to go she was starting to scare me a bit with some slight understeer due to some wet corners.

Wasn't much to pick from for eats on the way out on the North Carolina side. Huddle House was the only thing open, so we stopped for a second breakfast.

Handed off three 6-packs of Texas beer, one 6-pack of St. Arnold's craft root beer for Aaron's wife, bottle of Franklin's BBQ sauce, some What-A-Burger spicy ketchup, some Texas salsa and a bonus jar of Dreamland BBQ sauce I picked up in Alabama.

By then it was about 2pm and I was way behind schedule. Plugged in a destination into the phone & parted ways.

Lost all hope of receiving a signal someplace near the NC, Georgia and Tennessee bermuda triangle. Stopped for directions and was pointed in the right direction again. Were able to find another Wal-Mart that wasn't super busy. Stopped and had the tires balanced only to find we have 2 bent Hydras. Got them balanced reasonably and transferred to the back. Back on the road & it was so much better. Put the pedal down & were cruising at 75 with no issues.

and then fate brought us to here :

Had to do a hard braking for a u-turn. No way we were missing this.

Spent 30 minutes learing all about Bigfoot research. By then it was 5pm and we were noplace even close to home. Throttle down and headed west. Made it to 45 miles into Louisiana before giving up around midnight.

The next morning grabbed some Awful House for breakfast - no road trip is complete without it - and continued west. Made a quick stop at a junkyard looking for some Volvo parts when a state trooper nailed me driving 67 in a 55 on a side road. Didn't realize the speedo was that far off as it was showing I was at 60-62 at the time.

No Volvo parts aside from an S60R out front that doesn't look like it's moved in a while.

Another 5 hours and we were back in Houston. That's pretty much it except I had another 3 hour drive from Houston to San Antonio plus an additional hour for traffic due to construction.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #29
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Awesome road trip!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #30
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Great write up, awesome Roadtrip.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #31
schaff70
Board Member

11 minute video of me and Slow240 driving and leapfrogging for the lead
HD, no music, no edits. Doesn't look too exciting but it was a really fun drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_SrLa7xJEg
Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
haltechsupra
Board Member

Sweet!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #33
slow240
Home Schooled

That video really doesn't do it justice. I will always enjoy running a car 10/10 with no fear of sudden death.

We were balls out, dive bombing corners, and I was giggling like a schoolgirl. I think our top speed was a little over 45mph? So damn much fun.
'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
schaff70
Board Member

Ordered an IPD sport exhaust last night. Hoping to install it next weekend while I'm back in Houston.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #35
schaff70
Board Member

Was back in Houston over the weekend. Good thing I ordered that IPD exhaust. The temporary exhaust fix gave up on her was home from work Friday evening. Laid everything out in the garage, got the rear up on jack stands & got to work. Finished the exhaust just before dark.

The oil needed changed and she wanted to tackle it on her own. I supervised & held the flashlight because it was dark by then.
No photos because I'm sure you have all seen an exhaust before.

She picked up a pair of black cloth Subaru Impreza front seats off craigslist on Saturday for $100. Need to figure out the best way to get them to fit.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #36
schaff70
Board Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Waiting on a delivery from the Netherlands.

Last edited by schaff70; 06-28-2017 at 10:26 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #37
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Ecodes?
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #38
schaff70
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
Ecodes?

Plus an eggcrate grille I'll have to figure out how to fit without looking like arse
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #39
schaff70
Board Member

Went back to Houston last weekend for the girl's high school graduation. Had a bit of a hiccup with the car the week before. Developed a transmission leak that she wasn't aware of and ran low on fluid. Had to pay someone to handle it as I'm still working in San Antonio which is 3 hours away.

They replaced the leaky gasket, installed a new filter and refilled the fluid. They also took care of a noisy A/C compressor.

Leaving for her graduation ceremony :

Went junkyarding with the boy & girl last Friday while I was in town. No luck with Volvo parts, but was able to pick up a Neuspeed upper stress bar, Neuspeed lowering springs and a CL Type-S rear sway bar for the boy's 01 Accord coupe.

Sunday morning girl & I installed new brake pads all around. I showed her how on the driver side and she took care of the passenger side by herself.

On Tuesday her e-code headlights showed up from the Netherlands in great shape. I'll be back in Houston in a couple weeks and we'll install them.

For her graduation present I just booked her a flight to Costa Rica for 11 days where she's going to volunteer at the animal rescue center - http://www.costaricaanimalrescuecenter.org/

If anybody wants to make a donation to the center please see the link above.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #40
schaff70
Board Member

I was back in Houston this weekend to pick up my daughter at the airport after spending 10 days in Costa Rica.

I was able to get the e-codes installed. I put some clear Lamin-X on the lenses before installing them to help prevent any stone chips. The old headlight mounting hardware was so rusted I pretty much had to destroy them in order to get them off the car. While I was at it I also installed some S70 side marker lights and used the polisher to bring a bit of a shine to the paint.

Under the hood I installed a new thhermostat and added some Redline Water Wetter to the coolant to help keep the temps down. She was complaining about a slight hesitation with the initial throttle so I also added a set of 850 N/A orange top injectors after doing a lot of reading here first. The original injectors were pretty grungy and were most likely sticking a little bit.

Lastly inside I put a blue dash mat on to keep the sun from baking the dash in the hot Texas sun (shoutout to PDX240 for the speedy delivery - I wasn't expecting it so soon). While installing the Volt gauge in the dash and running the wire to the #12 fuse panel Ifound a bunch of debris around the heater control valve. I cleaned & vacuumed out all the leaves so hopefully it will operate better now and no longer be stuck on heat full time.

Checklist of thhings left :

Order an adjustable cam gear
Install the VX cam
Paint the valve cover
Make & install some lower front chassis braces
Order a set of GT style front tower braces
Order & install new rear shock
Install the IPD rear bar at the same time as the shocks
Install water temp gauge
Get new windshield installed
Figure out how to adapt the WRX seats to fit the 240 base

Longer term items :

Buy 225/50/16s for the BBS
Order wheel adapters
Do something about the single stage paint - possible DIY plasti-dip
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #41
schaff70
Board Member

Been ordering more parts. New NGK plug wires are at the house. Finally decided to pull the trigger on those Boge strut inserts in the classifieds. Stopped by Pep Boys & ordered the 225/50/16s for the BBS while they were on sale which will arrive in a week.

Need to order the rear shocks, budget restrictions keep me limited to KYBs for now. When I install the strut inserts & rear shocks I'll chop a coil or 1-1/2 all around plus install the rear sway bar.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #42
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Busy man.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #43
schaff70
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
Busy man.
I have to have sometihng to keep busy with. I don't have my own project car, my kids are grown up, living in a 1 bedroom apartment and pretty much have no social life.

Been working on my son's 01 Accord coupe also here in San Antonio. Picked up a used set of Michelin 215/45/17 tires for the Enkei 17" wheels I bought a couple months ago. Have a CL type-s rear sway bar and all new end links to install. Saving up some spare cash for a set of Koni street shocks/struts to go with the Neuspeed lowering springs we grabbed at pick n pull a couple months back. Going to vinyl wrap the roof black and add a few more cosmetic items to help it not look so plain.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #44
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

I saw a carbon fiber wrap on the roof of a souped up BMW 3 series years back. Looked nice.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #45
schaff70
Board Member

Related by family to this thread, but got the 17" Enkei wheels with Michelin 215/45/17 tires and wrapped the roof in black vinyl on my son's 01 Accord tonight. Vinyl went on pretty good despite it being only my 2nd time. It's tough balancing modifying both of my kid's cars equally. It keeps me busy when the funds allow and it's something we do together.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #46
schaff70
Board Member

My daughter wanted me back in Houston this weekend to go to Cars & Coffee. Woke up Saturday morning & drove out to another big show. So many cars it was hard to keep my attention in one place.

Favorites of the morning were a pale yellow Ferrari Daytona coupe, the new McLaren 730s was present and was pretty cool to see. Saw a TE72 Toyota Corolla liftback which I haven't seen one in person in over 20 years. It was the first car I bought when I graduated high school, so it was really cool to see. There were a pair of new Civic SI-Rs and even a mint Ford Thunderbird turbo-coupe.

Parking filled up quick, so we parked on the outskirts and walked around. As usual, we had the only Volvo there until we got to the back of the lot and saw a super nice 122S

That afternoon she got called into work, so I pulled the car into the garage and got to work. New NGK plug wires, cap & rotor under the hood and new KYB rear shocks with the IPD bar in the rear. Ran out of time to tackle the front strut inserts, so that will have to wait a little longer. Ordered a spare fuel pump relay to keep on hand in the glove box.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #47
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Pretty sure Volvo invented the relay.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #48
schaff70
Board Member

So the girl says her car has been giving her problems lately. She drove out to San Antonio from Houston Friday to see the vintage championship races at Circuit of The Americas on Saturday. We switched vehicles up and she drove home in the wife's 4Runner leaving the 244 here with me and my wife reclaimed the LandCruiser.

Thursday before she drove out I walked her through swapping out the Hydras back to the steelies by photos and phone. The 2 rear hydras were bent and we're not able to run them on the front. The front end had some vibrations the last time I drove the car and it needed an alignment. Shop wasn't able to complete the alignment before she drove out due to some bad tie rod ends.

Sunday afternoon I got out the polishing compound and the 7" polisher and went to work. I got the driver side finished before I ran out of steam.

Spent most of yesterday running errands in the car. It was a quart low and the oil light was flickering on & off. Other than that it runs pretty good. Slight vibration still from the front end. Topped off the oil, but I'm going to have to change it with a new filter this weekend.

Finished polishing the other side and the hood. Only thing left is the roof. I'm not a big fan of the single stage paint. Tonight I'm going to order some vinyl wrap for the roof. Because my bike doesn't fit in her car very well without completely taking it apart and lowering the seatpost all the way I ordered a roof rack. I don't want to mess with waxing the roof with a rack on there.

The brittle and dry beltline trim has been killing me since we got the car. I've only been able to find half of the nicer 92 only trim so far, so I did the poor man's trim removal. Stopped by Pep Boys and picked up a roll of multi width striping.

I started pulling the belt line trim and replacing it with the 1/4" wide black stripe from the roll to cover the trim holes. It's cheap and effective. Plus this car will never be a show car. Almost every panel has some sort of damage especially the driver side rear quarter panel.

Used one of the narrow strips to black out the chrome trim in the tail lights.

The largest size of the stripe kit is the right size for the door handles, so instead of removing and repainting the handles only to have them chip I covered them in vinyl.

The rear bumper trim is off because I found some undamaged trim at pick n pull yesterday. I'm cleaning them up before installing. I also used the vinyl from the roll to cover the stainless bumper trim. I'll post some pictures once it's all complete later this week.

Up under the car I discovered the tie rod ends need replacing and the ball joint boots are torn. Once I identify the correct rack I'll order inner and outer tie rods and the ball joints.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #49
schaff70
Board Member

Got the roof rack and the basket assembled this weekend and installed on top. I needed a way to carry my bike as it doesn't fit inside without pretty much completely taking it apart. I have a single bike tray in Houston that I'll pick up the next time I'm there.

I used some of the leftover vinyl from when I wrapped the roof of my son's Accord coupe to wrap the b pillars instead of painting them. The largest stripe in that roll of pinstriping is just about the right size to cover the trim for the outer window scrapers which looks a lot better in glossy black instead of flat.

Half of the interior lights aren't working, so I ordered some LEDs which will be here tomorrow. I also moved one step closer to achieving ludicrous speed by wrapping the dash trim in some plaid vinyl.

Currently on the hunt for the right set of adapters for the BBS wheels which I'd like to have on the car before the end of the year.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #50
RecycledEuropean
Board Member

I like the vinyl wrap on the dash trim, can you tell me where you got the vinyl and was this hard to do? looks great
RecycledEuropean is offline   Reply With Quote