home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 PM   #176
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

also get an injector wiring tester led, and consider cleaning/ rebuilding your injectors. You might have a fuel issue, you might wana pull ur intank pump and check the sock

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5625...ion-test-light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #177
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

ALso post the best pic of the oil return line u can. BC if its kinked it will cause oil issues
Old 09-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #178
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere View Post
looks sounds like one of the following : Massive vac leak, Ect Failure, timing off a tooth, Wrong injectors (idk), It almost sounds like its in limp mode (when the MAF is disconnected).

I was generous and reread your thread, which I recommend you doing, BC it seems like you have a long standing unresolved issue/s. Im guessing you have wiring/ vac issues under the dash...

-start by plugging the vac lines that run into the cabin
- Verify timing (which Im sure u have already)
-Check ECT resistance (bc if fouled it will constantly think its cold and add enrichment)
-Double check plugs
-The biggest thing I can see being an issue is your chipped ECU. Granted ive never had one, but LH in general needs to learn for a while, and i think even more so with chips.

It might be worth making a vac smoke machine tester or paying ~100 to have someone do it.
It would help not only me but you and others if you made a mod list of everything as it stands.
The more info you provide the more helpful I can be.

**** while ur at it rent a compression tester from a parts place.
I've looked for vac leaks multiple times and I'm pretty sure I've eliminated them all. Can't check timing due to lack of lower timing cover. As for ECU, if I'm correct, 2.2 is non-learning. All the chip does is add fuel during the onset of boost to prevent leaning out anyway. I've had a couple different ECUs in this thing and it runs the same no matter what. Injectors probably should be cleaned/replaced but it runs fine under throttle. Shaky idle is probably just the low compression. Still pulls hard, just spews a ton of oil out of the separator. (And lots of smoke, all the time.)

As for compression, it had 90psi on #4 which I assumed was due to the headgasket because I couldn't find anything wrong in there, but clearly I was wrong. See: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=335892

I'm just gonna slap in the '86 engine from my old car and tear down the '93 one that's currently in it.
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #179
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Decided to see if I could make a drain better than the JB welded mess currently in the car. Engine will probably come out later today.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #180
Cwazywazy
Board Member

I can't get the top bell housing bolt on the drivers side. Ideas?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #181
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

put a chunk of wood behind the head in between the firewall and drop the tanny mount
Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #182
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Couldn't get it no matter how hard I tried, so the trans came out with the engine, which meant emptying the AC and removing the condenser. Again. Don't buy the cheapest engine hoist at HFT.

But it's out. Since the trans is out anyway, would it be worthwhile to slap in the M46 I have in my shed? The M47 in there seems to be holding up but it's pretty damn worn out.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #183
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Drives, just not well. Shortened a 780 downpipe to fit since the old exhaust is really bad. It's about 2.5inch vs ~2inch on the old DP. I'll have to get a muffler for it. Needs some little stuff to make it more bearable, but I'm happy it drives. The heart of my old $200 240 lives on. (Until it chucks the rods.)

Old exhaust:

My leaky crappy AN drain:

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #184
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Replaced eBay BOV with a cheapie VW CBV. Mufflers have been ordered. Started ripping into the '93 engine but I need a 12pt socket for the rod caps.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #185
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Tore into the '93 engine. Guess that explains my issues. Need to inspect it more closely, but the rings/bore/bearings all look good so far.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #186
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Update. Its got some leaks.

Drove it about an hour on the highway. Managed to leak engine oil, powersteering atf, and coolant. And it made this weird noise in boost. But the clutch slip seems to have gone away somehow. So that's good.

Zapped a flex pipe to the exhaust, putting in a new water pump, and ordered a rebuild kit for my spare T3 which (I think) leaks oil into the exhaust housing. Still need to take a look at the steering rack. I should also try and set the ignition timing, or something.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:01 AM   #187
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Just in case someone still reads my thread:

Guess that's what happens when you take a worn out high mile NA motor and cram extra air into it.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #188
57plymouth
Board Member

Did it hurt a piston or just push out the head gasket?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #189
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
Did it hurt a piston or just push out the head gasket?
I think the gasket just got pushed out. It's pushed out on every cylinder but 2 and 4 were bad enough that they were burning coolant and losing compression.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #190
Cwazywazy
Board Member

It broke again, 700 miles was too much for this engine. I'll compression test it later to confirm that it is indeed exploded. Started running a little funny and I noticed the boost gauge was super twitchy. Then I lost power. Then trying to get up to speed on the highway it suddenly let out a TON of smoke. Limped it about 60 miles, burping a cloud of smoke every time I lifted off. Felt kinda like it was only running on 3 most of the time. It's leaking oil, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the smoke is coming from the PCV.

Did a full throttle pull when I got close to my house but nothing left the engine block. I was only running wastegate pressure...
Old 10-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #191
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Oh boy. 0PSI on #2, 160-170 on the rest.

Did I somehow detonate the hell out of it on WG pressure and 93 octane? Kinda looks like something got in there to me, but IDK. You can see the top ring on part of the piston.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #192
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Well crap.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #193
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

I’d start inspecting the parts that stay on the car when you’re swapping these motors in, fuel pumps, LH and EZK units, MAF sensor, stuff like that.

Do you have a WB gauge?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #194
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post

Do you have a WB gauge?
Not yet, that's why I was running WG pressure.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #195
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

If the turbo glows red, that means it's got enough gas. Or maybe I have that backwards...

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #196
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
If the turbo glows red, that means it's got enough gas. Or maybe I have that backwards...

I think it might just be because the engine was so high miles and worn out. Check out this vid I took when I did the HG.

Also, because I totally expected this engine to blow up anyway, I was running a mix of whatever oil was in the garage. It probably has 3 or 4 different weights of oil in it.

I might hack the #2 lobes off an old M cam just to see how long it lasts on 3 cyl... Still gotta get around to rebuilding the '93 engine that was originally in the car. The block is actually in really nice shape. Couldn't see any signs of detonation and I was running 15psi when the piston cracked. (Didn't hurt the bore at all, amazingly.)
Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #197
okoye
Board Member

honestly don't get how you're managing to blow the motor up. I put an na 240 motor into my car with a 50 trim and have driven it from ct to florida and back with many miles inbetween and after. I've been running 20 psi you've got to be doing something wrong to manage to blow this thing up.

Edit: looking at your posts and at your intake manifold you're actually running NA injectors off a fwd car. no wonder you're running into issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #198
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Edit: looking at your posts and at your intake manifold you're actually running NA injectors off a fwd car. no wonder you're running into issues.
I thought these were off an 850 turbo or something? They're whatever came with the car, and had no issue with 13psi for a good while. 15psi was when my piston broke.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:23 AM   #199
okoye
Board Member

no those aren't even 850 turbo injectors.

this is what 850 turbo injectors look like.

then for the v/s/c70 it goes yellow, orange, red (GLT, XC), white, blue, and then for the s60r and v70r it's green (440cc) that's the color from lowest flow rate to highest
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 AM   #200
Cwazywazy
Board Member

Oh.

Still though, only 7psi. What's the flow rate vs stock turbo green tops?