home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #26
haltechsupra
Board Member

Now this needs a turbo and stack out of the hood!
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #27
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

We've been making pretty good progress, unfortunately my new job doesn't leave me much time during the week so we're working in short bursts. We did do some work this past Thursday and I learned a valuable lesson - when you spend two hours next to someone welding, simply not looking at the arc does not mean you won't burn the hell out of your eyes. I woke up at midnight feeling like I'd been pepper sprayed! That one cost me a day of work, dumb move but lesson learned.

Our next step was to weld the doors shut. We tacked thin filler strips onto the rocker to give a backing for filling the bottom door gap.

The door edges were a little tough to weld because you quickly start cooking out the seam sealer and crap that's in the folded edge. Also took our time trying to cool the panels as we went to avoid warping as much as possible.

and it's a two door car now.

Next thing we started working on was the frame for the rear quarter window. We have the rear corner of the D-pillar, so the idea is to continue that around the window frame and we'll glue in a Lexan window.

First we made plates to tie the front section of the window frame to the B-pillar so nothing is loose and flexing around.

So in order to get the frame for the window we sectioned a piece off the rear of the c-pillar

Then cut, nibbled, trimmed and tweaked it so that it could be fit onto the front of the door.

And you can kind of see what we're going for. The lower section will get sliced off the top of the quarter panel of a yet-to-be-purchased second donor car, and we'll make little filler pieces for the corner. Might try and chop a piece of that lower window trim and fit it back onto the top of the door edge and use that as the lower window moulding? Have to see how everything fits.

We also cut 3" strips off of the roof and tacked them onto the side of the bed to help to help visualize how we want to shape the bed. This is going off the excellent suggestion from slow240 to continue the hood line back through the car.

I think that looks just about right. Our plan is to figure out exactly what shape we want and have a piece of "C" channel bent to spec to serve as the cap of the bed sides.

So far so good! I'm loving the look of it. We have a million hours worth of welding and grinding left to do, not to mention a hell of a lot of body work!

As I mentioned, I need to rustle up another donor wagon post haste. We need another tailgate and sections chopped off the rear quarter area that will make life a lot easier than trying to scratch build. I've been kind of sitting around waiting for a free car to fall in my lap near by, but looks like I'll have to reach a little further out.

Eeuroparts just announced their annual car show is now a big event at Lime Rock Park on June 9th, so the goal is to have this thing mostly together to bring to the show. At least in primer and roadworthy! That also means I've got a deadline to get my butt moving on some projects for the 242...
Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #28
buzz
To inspamity, and beyond!

I like.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

The Phoenix
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #29
MoCounselor
Board Member

Loving this.
MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #30
B2fkb0
Board Member

Sweet build! Well planned and executed. I may have to try making one of these as well some day, and if I do I will follow your build, nice work!
06 xc90 v8 Griff
98v70r DynoRay CaR
94 854 NA Turquoise
04 v70xc Nautic

Sold:93 245 Silver,98v70xc Lucy, 96 855r Casper,
99s70t5m Panther, 98 v70xc Olive, 98v70r RN/m58 swapped 426 silver - Thor
Totaled, parted, crushed: 96 855r Vader
B2fkb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #31
megulon-7
Board Member

Life rarely gives an opportunity like this to build a car/pick-up with tail fins...
megulon-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #32
slow240
Home Schooled

That looks awesome! This is promising to be one of the better executed volvo pickups.
'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 AM   #33
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Nice proportions coming to fruition. Keep it up guys.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #34
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megulon-7 View Post
Life rarely gives an opportunity like this to build a car/pick-up with tail fins...
I need to see this photoshopped

Glad you guys are digging the project! We're having fun with it.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #35
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Absurd and awesome.

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #36
mikezohsix
Board Member

it's a 943!

We had three door Saabs, why not a Volvo?
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #37
slow240
Home Schooled

You're gonna lift this right?
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #38
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
You're gonna lift this right?
mmm, probably not. Think I want to keep it more car-ish. I do keep looking at it and making V8 noises though. I think I will want some heavy duty springs in the back when I'm hanging a 200lb bike off the back of it though.

Spent a lot of time thinking and planning this weekend. We are going to have a piece of channel bent for the bed rail so needed to decide on the shape. Bent up a few test pieces and goldilocks'd our way to the right width.

Rather than just use a piece of square, the outside edge will be at an angle similar to the shape of the quarter panel to make it look like it belongs there. Will also have the outside top edge rolled at a radius similar to the top of the body panels rather than a sharp bend.

Will also try to have the guys bend us pieces for the side and front walls of the bed.

Tacked strips of roof on to get a visual.

Then we wanted to get the tailgate hung in it. Decided to trim the gate to the maximum length which would allow it to swing up past the wheel arches.

I started cutting it with a wheel and uhh no sparks? Didn't know these were aluminum! Are all the cars aluminum or did older 740s have steel hatches? Changes things a little since we're not set up to tig.

I think being able to open the gate is great. Fun and practical.

We're going to build a 'wall' between the rear doors that the hatch will latch down to. Not sure yet if we'll keep the gate longer like this or cut it right under the glass so just the glass swings open. If we keep the lower section the license plate area will be 'shaved' smooth. Keeping the lower would also let me keep the rear wiper mechanism which I'd like to do. Will have to see how things work out.

Started making filler pieces for the quarter window frame.

And tied the channel sections together between the b-pillar and the d-pillar 'hoop'. This worked out well, and it's much stiffer now. Once the d-pillars are tied in it will be nice and stiff.

Giving some thought to the tail gate. The bike is ~6' from the front of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel, so I'll need something hanging off the back to set the rear wheel on. We are thinking about a tailgate which would hinge down and could be extended out. So like unlatch it, pull it up 8" or whatever and lay it down.

Would be easier to make a tailgate if I can get a hatch made of steel though.

Time to buy some body work materials.

Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #39
alschnertz
Enough already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Are all the cars aluminum or did older 740s have steel hatches?
My '86 745T has an aluminum hatch.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #40
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Really coming along nicely. One thought -- that's a large piece of class sitting lower/closer to loads in the bed than it would in a pickup. A pickup would have the forward wall of the bed to help keep loads away from the back of the cab. You might wanna think about how you protect that glass from a load in the bed that might accidentally move forward under braking.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #41
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Is it too late to suggest Bertone doors?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #42
mikezohsix
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Really coming along nicely. One thought -- that's a large piece of class sitting lower/closer to loads in the bed than it would in a pickup. A pickup would have the forward wall of the bed to help keep loads away from the back of the cab. You might wanna think about how you protect that glass from a load in the bed that might accidentally move forward under braking.
We're going to have some kind of removable frame behind the glass tailgate to pull the bike against. Can't pull it against the aluminum panel, for the reasons you stated on the glass, plus the aluminum won't take much either. It will have to be removable because we both like the opening up idea.

The alternative is to make a steel lower section, that doesn't move, and just have the glass swing up, but then you don't get a working rear wiper.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

All 7/9 wagons had alu hatches.

SHOtime - '90 744 Turbo
The LowCar - '93 945 Turbo
Ghetto Superstar/SkidCar - '88 740
Brown - '85 740 Turbo
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #44
mikezohsix
Board Member

We need a donor car or a scrap car that we can cut some of the pieces we need.
Have had offers come in, but nothing local - trying to keep it to +/-2 hours of the Hartford/Springfield area.

Anyone have, or know of a 745 or 945 parts car kicking around?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #45
Tom Wiley
Board Member

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/6013673097.html < 960 with a blown head gasket listed for $1k. Looks beat up enough to not be missed.

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5980753117.html no pictures, could be a sedan, has been listed for a month. $375.
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #46
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

did a little digging on "bed extenders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j28STMhY13Y

I like this one the best for simplicity and picture the rear wheel nestling in the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #47
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

Nissan had a factory one that could probably be adapted.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 AM   #48
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Billy that last picture you posted was way too small
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #49
beachcomber550
Board Member

That's the Canine's cajones ...............

I went through a phase of chopping down Citroen CX estates. Nobody wanted them, so when I wanted a newer model - I could never sell the old one !

But I DID need pick ups ........ all my conversions [ 4 in all ] were 2 seaters as I needed the bed length [ over 6ft. ] for my bikes. And the bonus was - I could always sell the pick ups on as very fast [ and comfortable ] bike transporters !

Here is "La Peek Erp" Mk2

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #50
M.H. Yount
Board Member

And here I thought Citroen's couldn't be any weirder. In a good way.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote