home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #51
DanMarino
Board Member

Great 940 wagon-truck! Love the work. Keep up the momentum!
DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #52
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Is that Citroen stretched or were they really that long?!

Took some vacation and working a much more demanding job these days (good for bank account, bad for projects) so had some gaps in progress, but we're still moving. Jesus is it March?! Senior's been digging into the research on bodywork plans and handing off some shopping lists.

I spent a night grinding welds, doors came out good and basically ready to try our hand a the lead work. Also time to cut the door handle recesses out and make a filler panel.

Also did some tying of the inner door frame to the body, just trying to get everything tied together as much as possible.

We do have at least half an idea for the tailgate. Will talk more about it when we've got some parts and some thought time into it with the car. A friend at work drew up the 'bed rails', the top for the tail gate, and some sheet metal for the rear of the cab/hatch area. This will be bent up by a shop - hopefully soon!

Also bought a bunch of square tube lengths for framing out the rear cab area, bed frame, etc.

Besides getting the bed rails bent the biggest thing needed was another car. I was hunting around and pretty close to driving out to NY for a car when Okoye showed up with this supa cheap 93 945 wagon with straight metal out back, worked out perfect and I even drove it home!

Drew all over it and spent an evening doing another strip and cut. I'll mention that I had the big rear glass sections on the roof and they fell off the car onto the garage floor while I was attacking the body with the sawz-all and they didn't break... lucky shot.

aaand it's ruined

Basically took two big chunks out of the back for the complete d-pillar sections then big dog-legs off the quarter panel and c-pillar. Needed these pieces so we could build the window frame for my new rear quarter windows. If you look around you'll see a lot of people just put in big metal sail panels which imo looks pretty unfinished and also, I imagine, would suck for visibility from the driver seat.

so idea was to slice off that piece of window channel, and keep the 'nail heads' because we'd like to try and modify/adapt original window trim. In order to turn the top of the rear door into a window frame we had to flatten out the old window channel

laid one strip on top of the door, then used a filler piece to make up the corner section.

It worked out very well. Should have a nice flat plane to glue a lexan window in then get creative with trim to make it look like it belongs there.

Easy to summarize but the time goes quick eyeing, measuring, marking, cutting, rinse repeat until it fits, welding trimming grinding... then have to do it again on the other side! It's a lot of work, but enjoyable. So far everything has gone along well. Obviously the "d-pillar" was cut shorter on the original car cut, so we'll use the silver car d-pillar to kind of fill the gap and drop down into the bed and finish the rear of the cab.

Because the wagons have a slight inward taper at the tail we're going to take the outer skin of the d-pillar, slice it, and somehow pull it out towards the edge of the door/body line. This way the whole cab, front doors to rear of the cab, are in a continuous body line. It adds a fair amount of complexity and it's not something I've seen in most of the other builds online. But again it should help it look more 'finished' and less like a glued together cut job. Then we can bring my nice bent bed rails up and blend the two together to get a nice smooth transition. Will probably get into that next, but really need the bed rails in order to line it all up.

the new bike I bought two months ago has still yet to arrive so there's a chance by the time the damn bike shows up I'll be able to load it up in this thing at the dealer! . It's actually starting to feel a bit Spring-ish up here, which has me thinking about my 242. I've got a whole hydraulic clutch conversion/clutch swap and a decent list of things I wanted to do on that car for this season as well. Going to have to try and squeeze that in at some point pretty damn soon. Oh and both daily SAABs need attention.. phew, long on ideas short on time.

Oh by the way today is my 31st birthday and Senior's 61st birthday, we share a bday along with a fondness for Swedes. So happy birthday to us!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #53
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Birthday wishes to both! My dad was also 30 when I was born....
Old 03-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #54
Tom Wiley
Board Member

Very nice. I share 4/2 as a birthday with my dad as well.
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #55
mikezohsix
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wiley View Post
Very nice. I share 4/2 as a birthday with my dad as well.
There is something special about sharing a birthday.

I had/have an excellent relationship with my dad, very car oriented. I am truly blessed to share a birthday with my son, and have that same kind, or even better relationship.

Happy Birthday Mike!
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #56
beachcomber550
Board Member

Yes, they really are that long - 6'- 6" bed. They were probably the largest estate of the era and sadly missed.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #57
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

All of the sheet metal for the bed should be cut and bent for next week. Have been trying to stay busy since...

I made pieces for the passenger side window frame and cut rear door handle recesses out. For the filler piece I used a piece of rear quarter panel from the silver car, since it has the same curve as the door. Filler piece was flanged and ended up working out well.

The d-pillar is narrower than the middle of the car, so the window frame was ~1/2" inside at the rear.

Cut two slices up either side of the d-pillar which allowed it to be pulled out so the window frame is square.

Have to make some quarter window templates.

Since we didn't have material this weekend to build with, we decided to start playing around with body stuff.

Did some stripping

Despite best efforts to control heat, all of the welding on the roof and door skins caused some warping. worked some bulging out of the drivers side with a pick hammer and a body dolly

Instead of just laying down some plastic filler, we decided we wanted to lead the panels to build up a solid base. Spent a lot of time watching youtube videos. It was an interesting learning experience. The first attempts at tinning didn't go well. Watched more videos and modified the technique a little bit and got it down. Most of it is all in controlling the heat.

roof all cleaned up with 40 grit on the DA and etched with phosphoric acid.

all tinned and ready for lead

Leading the roof was pretty easy because it's just a big flat surface we needed to fill up.

paddling it out. Again the roof was easy because you could just heat up a pool of the lead and push it around with it running anywhere. At the right temp it has a nice plasticky consistency that is really easy to work with.

It filed easier than expected. We're going to put a thin layer of short strand glass filler over the lead, so just had to make sure high spots were knocked down.

Here's a video of doing the roof

Filled the low spots in the doors as well, and leaded all of the weld seams. Doors were a lot trickier, a little too much heat and the lead will pick up and run off quickly.

tinning:

built up material along the old door line where the welding had sucked it in.

more filing and shaping tomorrow.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:24 AM   #58
slow240
Home Schooled

I always wanted to try lead bodywork. I remember seeing the supplies in Eastwood catalogues and almost buying some when I was working on my 244, but of course I chickened out lol.

Looks good so far, and having seen yalls other projects, I have no doubt it's going to have a high standard of quality. Or at least a lot higher than most TB bog jobs lol
'81 242t, DD, project, epic funmobile.
build thread; http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=251729
'92 244. 601 red, stock, awesome.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=292524
'92 245. 601 red, stock, awesome.
'90 244. blue, tall, ghetto, fabulous.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=310740
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #59
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

That's pretty bad ass. I'm enjoying watching this, and it seems like you guys are having a ball with it.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #60
Tom Wiley
Board Member

Seems like a lot of work. Also seems like the way to go to produce the best outcome.
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #61
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
That's pretty bad ass. I'm enjoying watching this, and it seems like you guys are having a ball with it.
So far so good in terms of keeping it a good time! Actually having to force myself to motivate on the 242 because this project is in a much more fun stage.

I sliced up the d-pillars from the donor car so they laid on top of the rear cab pillars. The idea is to pull the d-pillar out so it is in line with the body lining we are creating with the top of the bed (and carrying back from the front fenders). This way the rear of the cab and the bed will blend in rather than have an odd step out.

Will have to see how it works out. It shouldn't be too hard to blend the piece in

Also did some initial 'proof of concept' work on the tailgate. Couple of requirements:
- we don't want a big flat piece of sheetmetal across the back of the car, so it should use the lower section of a tailgate.
- needs extend out so it doesn't hit the bumper and so it's far enough out that the back wheel of my dirt bike can sit on it.
- needs to be strong enough to be stepped on while loading the bike/having the bike on it.

I ended up buying a pair of industrial drawer slides rated for 500lbs. Plan is to build a steel frame and mount it to the slides and use the aluminum tailgate as a facade. Drawer slides will have a bushing welded to them, which will ride on a long shouldered seatbelt bolt bolted to the body.

Drawer slides tacked in, pivot point set in a bit.

tacked a frame together

So the gate will lift up, pivot out and extend.

It works awesome!

I brought in the tailgate from the parts car and stripped it down. Because the steel frame is set inwards a bit, the tailgate sits right in where it does normally

It lined up really well, and should work out perfectly. We'll finish framing out the steel, then make short brackets and just mount the whole lower half of the tailgate to it.

finally got our load of steel.

shape of the bed rail

can kind of start seeing how the bed will look

and how the d-pillar and top of the bed will line up and look more complete

Lots more welding to do. Might have to take a couple weeks off for the 242, but I'll be driving this thing this summer for sure.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #62
oldnfast
Board Member

Excellent work mike,could see your viggen in the last pic
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #63
andyb5

Really nice work with the tailgate, that's a pretty trick setup to accomplish all your objectives.

00 R - The new project.
andyb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #64
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Very cool tailgate concept! And great progress lately. I'm still watching with genuine interest.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #65
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Really nice work!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #66
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

So excited to see this in person when it's all done.

Lemme take pictures of it when it is!

Also, any idea on paint?

SHOtime - '90 744 Turbo
The LowCar - '93 945 Turbo
Ghetto Superstar/SkidCar - '88 740
Brown - '85 740 Turbo
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #67
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
Excellent work mike,could see your viggen in the last pic
Yeah that poor thing just lives its life unwashed going back and forth to work. I bought a set of Konis and front end overhaul materials for it but haven't given it the time yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So excited to see this in person when it's all done.

Lemme take pictures of it when it is!

Also, any idea on paint?
Yeah we've been talking about paint. It'll probably be in primer the first time you see it I don't hate the original green, but don't love it either (kinda boring). It'd save us having to cut in edges or worry about the engine bay. Has Volvo ever done any non-metallic greys? I tend to like single stage non-metallics. Idk... open to suggestion!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #68
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Thanks guys

Yeah that poor thing just lives its life unwashed going back and forth to work. I bought a set of Konis and front end overhaul materials for it but haven't given it the time yet.

Yeah we've been talking about paint. It'll probably be in primer the first time you see it I don't hate the original green, but don't love it either (kinda boring). It'd save us having to cut in edges or worry about the engine bay. Has Volvo ever done any non-metallic greys? I tend to like single stage non-metallics. Idk... open to suggestion!
Scion Cement Gray?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #69
slow240
Home Schooled

Dammit that's the color I want to paint my 242, we can't be samsies! Lol

Either that or the nice gray that the new wranglers come in, it's like the color of wet cement
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #70
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Hmm wonder how that'd look. We'll see how I like it in primer gray and go from there!

Finished welding the bottom of the rear un-doors.

and did more lead work on the seam. Thrilled with the results, this was the best work so far. Definitely getting our technique down. Helps to have two sets of hands - Senior runs the torch and the stick of lead, I run the paddle!

We've started in on the template making process for the rear floor/shelf stuff. So next progress will be on finishing off the rear of the cab and figuring out the game plan for the hatch.

Oh, and I finally went and picked up the whole reason I started this thing... new bike!!

Old 04-09-2017, 01:54 AM   #71
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

god damn thats a nice bike
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #72
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor

Looking good.

That flame is a little hot and focused for leading though, you will have better luck with this, new version of the old standby:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-NEW-BLO...3D132118757542
"I think that man was put here on earth to live, not just to exist" -- Robert 'Evel' Knievel
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #73
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I'd vote for Audi Nimbus Grey with an oxblood or hazelnut leather interior
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #74
MoCounselor
Board Member

The new Sonic Gray that they are putting on the 2017 Civic Hatchbacks is pretty cool, if you're looking for a primer-ish gray.

MoCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #75
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I was beside one of those Civics at a light just yesterday -- pretty sure that Honda color is metallic/pearl. You have to have it in the sun/direct light to see it - but definitely not a non-metallic. Haven't been able to look close enough at the Audi to tell whether that is or not, but it's a good looking color....if you like gray. Only mention it because I think the OP expressed a preference for non-metallics. Harder and harder to come by on new cars these days. Audi had a nice non-metallic 2-shades-lighter-than-battleship gray back in the 70's. I had an old 100LS in that color.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote