home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #126
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
Is there no physical space for a normal downpipe or is the side exit more of a ****s and giggles thing?
S**** and Giggles.
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #127
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
Is there no physical space for a normal downpipe or is the side exit more of a ****s and giggles thing?
It's a bit of both.

The exhaust tubing I have was free and good sized, 3.25" at its smallest and usually around 4". I looked down there after somebody else said the same thing and without cutting more off the transmission, hitting the firewall more and still probly haveing to dent the exhaust tubing some it wouldnt work.

When I was first planning everything I took a quick glance down that area and decided to put my effort somewhere else so it got dumped out the side.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #128
cosbySweater
Board Member

It's kinda a pain in the ass to do a turbo back exhaust on the 240 lsxturbo cars. Not horrible but kinda a pain
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #129
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
It's kinda a pain in the ass to do a turbo back exhaust on the 240 lsxturbo cars. Not horrible but kinda a pain
I can def see that it could be a pain. I just wanted to put my time and effort elsewhere. It was also for ****s and giggles lol
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #130
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
I can def see that it could be a pain. I just wanted to put my time and effort elsewhere. It was also for ****s and giggles lol
that's the way to do it man. cheap, fast, and fun. then when **** does break, which it may, you wont care as much
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #131
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
that's the way to do it man. cheap, fast, and fun. then when **** does break, which it may, you wont care as much
I'm glad you get it. A lot of people, not so much on this site, don't seem to understand that.

I was so concerned about one of my prior builds that I ended up not enjoying it and was always worried I was going to hurt my engine. It was fully forged, balanced, big cams etc etc. I had no reason to worry about it but the thought of all that money being thrown away prevented me from really enjoying the car. I don't want to do that again.

Enter the ****box 240 haha
Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #132
Andrewhans
Board Member

In love with my new Neiko underhood light!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #133
Andrewhans
Board Member

Got the trans cooler installed. Ran out of the pushlok hose. Need to go buy more before I can finish it up.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #134
Andrewhans
Board Member

Dropped off the driveshaft at the local shop. Hopefully get to pick it up on Monday. Maybe even have a driving car by the weekend.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #135
speedhybridz

Great build btw, Iím curious what shifter will you be using?
speedhybridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #136
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedhybridz View Post
Great build btw, Iím curious what shifter will you be using?
Well origonally I was going to adapt the Volvo shufter but that would have left me with a reverse pattern where full aft was park then reverse etc etc. Didnt like it and wanted something better after I started reading up on how important it is for the shifts to be accurate and not inbetween two positions.

Found a Hurst QuarterStick with new cable and all brackets locally for $80. Just need the guy to remove it from his drag truck so I can buy it.

As a side note and bonus the driveshaft fits perfectly! Trans fluid lines and shifter and I can back the car out of the driveway under its own power!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #137
speedhybridz

Quote:
Well origonally I was going to adapt the Volvo shufter but that would have left me with a reverse pattern where full aft was park then reverse etc etc. Didnt like it and wanted something better after I started reading up on how important it is for the shifts to be accurate and not inbetween two positions.

Found a Hurst QuarterStick with new cable and all brackets locally for $80. Just need the guy to remove it from his drag truck so I can buy it.

As a side note and bonus the driveshaft fits perfectly! Trans fluid lines and shifter and I can back the car out of the driveway under its own power!
I have basically the same setup as yours, I initially thought I could use the stock shifter, but like you said shifts have to be accurate. Well Iím going to search for a different shifter. Thanks man and keep up the good work.
speedhybridz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #138
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedhybridz View Post
I have basically the same setup as yours, I initially thought I could use the stock shifter, but like you said shifts have to be accurate. Well I’m going to search for a different shifter. Thanks man and keep up the good work.
Yeah it didnt entertain me much and for $80 thats worth it so I dont have to lay under the car for hours trying to get the linkage just right so it doesnt hit everything and still grab all gears. Wasnt worth it.

As a bonus I had some extra time and was motivated so I finally finished mocking up the exhaust and made the final cut in the fender. Very excited how it turned out.

Incase you were wondering... yes the grinder slipped lol. I think it looks good considering I only had a 2" holes saw and a 4" cutoff wheel to work with.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #139
Andrewhans
Board Member

Had a blast today. Made a little bracket to bolt the old tailpipe back onto the car lol

Also set the car on the ground to check for clearance at the front tire and downpipe.

Last edited by Andrewhans; 01-10-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #140
Andrewhans
Board Member

Got the TransGo little boost check valve thing for the trans, ran the rest of trana cooler lines and started it up and ran it for about an hour.

Zero leaks and I can put it in gear and turn the fan on and off without it stumbling. Today was a great snow day off of work lol
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #141
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

quarter stick is nice, that's what I've got in the gold car. no MVB?

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #142
Board Member

This is awesome!

How accurate do you find that trans dipstick to be? I've got one too, not sure if I'm over or underfilled though.
84.242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #143
Nick Oc
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.242 View Post
This is awesome!

How accurate do you find that trans dipstick to be? I've got one too, not sure if I'm over or underfilled though.
If you are concerned about it, install the dip stick and remove the pan. Full should be at the pan rail, at least on my th400.
Nick Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #144
Andrewhans
Board Member

So I got sick of waiting for the shifter to be delivered so I cut a hole in the floor attached a linkage and shifted it by hand.

This thing was an absolute blast. Even at 4psi its a monster.

Sounds great at idle too. 4.8 and the small cam give it a little chop but pulls well down low.

But alas... it was not meant to be. I'm assuming 3 things lead to the next photo. I didnt verify the timing that was actually being commanded, the ring gap had to have been tighter than I thought it would be after 360k miles and maybe the 93oct I had in the tank was too old(3 or 4 months maybe)

Luckily the guys on the sloppymechanics forums are awesome and somebody is sending me 5 gen3 4.8 piston/rods for $50 shipped. Very excited about that. Im going to tear down the engine verify timing, check ring gap, fix ring gap and put it back together.

She will be chooching again soon!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #145
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
quarter stick is nice, that's what I've got in the gold car. no MVB?
No, reg valvebody. I wanted to be able to put it in drive and run a ten. Im excited to get the quarterstick installed. The linkage setup I have is difficult to use but works lol
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #146
Andrewhans
Board Member

Got the trans dropped, engine out and tore down. Only one piston was bad. #5 bit the dust for me. Gonna check gap on the rest and fix them while Im waiting on my spares to show up.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #147
Onefastpig
Board Member

Damn, it's not too bad when it only takes out one piston and there isn't any other damage. I'm sure that little test drive makes you want to drive it so much more. I know I couldn't wait to drive mine after I broke a piston
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #148
Board Member

Quote:

FYI, you can keep the Volvo shifter if you flip the GM selector arm upside down. I used the Lokar 'column shift' linkage kit they sell - has threaded rod, small heim joints on each end, and an adjustable length shift selector arm. Had to clearance the tunnel ~1/8" to clear the flipped arm, but it works perfect and it's nice keeping the interior 100% stock.

I'll take pictures of mine if you're interested.
84.242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #149
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

timing, or a flakey injector on that hole would be my guess.

Doubt it's gap, the L33 only had 120k on it when I dropped it in, it's seen it's fair share of boost controller mishaps.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #150
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
timing, or a flakey injector on that hole would be my guess.

Doubt it's gap, the L33 only had 120k on it when I dropped it in, it's seen it's fair share of boost controller mishaps.
I think the engine had way less than 360k on it or the timing was too aggresive mixed with kind of old gas. Going to mix in e85 and fill the tank here for the next go around as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.242 View Post
FYI, you can keep the Volvo shifter if you flip the GM selector arm upside down. I used the Lokar 'column shift' linkage kit they sell - has threaded rod, small heim joints on each end, and an adjustable length shift selector arm. Had to clearance the tunnel ~1/8" to clear the flipped arm, but it works perfect and it's nice keeping the interior 100% stock.

I'll take pictures of mine if you're interested.
I have a Hurst quarterstick that will be going in here soon. Thanks for the info though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefastpig View Post
Damn, it's not too bad when it only takes out one piston and there isn't any other damage. I'm sure that little test drive makes you want to drive it so much more. I know I couldn't wait to drive mine after I broke a piston
I cant wait to get it back on the road now. Super excited honestly. Going to make a few changes to the tune and to the car and itll be back to tearing up the streets soon.