home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Will325
Board Member

Default Gramp's Wagon: 960 LS3 Swap

First and foremost, we have no idea what we are doing!

This whole project started out when my friend and I were driving the 960 around to get it smogged so we could sell it. We both liked how it drove and then my friend pointed out that Paul Neuman had a v8 960. Of course had to I look up ls1 960 while waiting for the smog test to be done... That's how this swap came to be.

The car was my grandfather's. He bought it new in 1995 (wish he bought it a year or two earlier, would make my life so much easier lol) it has about 143k on it and overall in good shape, it was garaged most of its life. I am trying to get rid of the motor, it had its timing belt and fuel rail changed in the last 5k miles, if anyone wants it PM me.

Seeing as we live in the great state of California, doing emissions legal LS swaps are a pain in the ass. We would have to convert the car to obd2 to MAYBE get it legal. I spent the money on a ls3 e-rod. It hurt! A lot! But the way I justified it to myself was, it a brand new motor that will run forever and I don't have to worry about the smog legalness because out of the box that motor is smog legal in any obd1 car. It will have a t-56 behind it.

We are still researching the massive amount of option out there for suspension and brakes for this car (I wish.) I think, for now, we are just going to refresh everything, but We are Volvo n00bs. Let me know if I should be doing something else for suspension.

We started this project last weekend. We got the motor out and started to test fit the LS3.
We are using the STS mounts they look really well made and should work out great. However, being that is the car is kinda the oddball it turns out that the lower motor brackets that the rubber mount sits on are taller than a 740's. The motor is way to high in the engine bay and is hitting on the tunnel and the hood will not close. Right now trying to find 740 brackets. Thanks 77volvo245 for helping me figure that out!

I am probably forgetting a lot but there will be more posts to come!
Thanks for all your help in advance!
1989 e30 Smog legalish s52 swap.
1986 Toyota pickup DD (gotta leave something alone)

...and In case life wasn't complicated enough

Last edited by Will325; 09-22-2017 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Photobucket....
Will325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
57plymouth
Board Member

Take out the rubber mounts and bolt it solid. That will drop it down and you won't have sloppy Volvo mounts to screw around with.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
okoye
Board Member

Don't do that its a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Don't do that its a bad idea.
Agreed. I wish I had softer rubber mounts in my LS swap... although stock 240 rubber mounts aren't exactly the most robust thing on these cars. I don't know if 740 ones are better, but keep in mind that LS will try its best to rip them right out of the car. LOL

That's a sweet project! Looking forward to watching this one come together!! Where in NorCal are you?
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
57plymouth
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
keep in mind that LS will try its best to rip them right out of the car. LOL
Exactly why you should use solid mounts.

I've built 4 cars with solid mounts, 2 of them with big block Chevy engines. No complaints here.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
okoye
Board Member

You recommended bolting it solid to the mounts with nothing in between. That right there is a sure fire way to have things break not to mention vibrations through the driveline and body.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
57plymouth
Board Member

Vibrations won't be too bad, especially with the mild cam in that E-rod crate motor. Not likely to break anything. I've got over 30K including 2 Power Tours on one car with a much more radical big block that has not broken anything.

But do whatever you want. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Great looking wagon. That'll be an awesome cruiser when it's done.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
noz-e8tr
Board Member

I like them solid. Here is my 5.0/242 mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post

I've built 4 cars with solid mounts, 2 of them with big block Chevy engines. No complaints here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
toms_elleck
Board Member

Quote:

I have a complaint about my dashboard buzzing, and all sorts of engine noise being transmitted through the car. It's something I will be addressing someday, but I have lots of other things on the project ahead of that.
toms_elleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
cosbySweater
Board Member

Yea the status mounts are pretty harsh. I have a nasty vibration in mine. But I'm happy that the engine doesn't move at all
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Tfrasca
Board Member

It's blowing my mind that all you guys are running solid mounts. I must be getting old, because there's no way I could deal with that.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Will325
Board Member

I guess I am getting old too lol. The point with this car is to make it a long-distance bomber. That's why I'm really trying to keep the rubber mounts.

The plan of attack on the mounts as of now is:

first, try the 740 brackets. If we still don't like the way it is sitting, I can think of two options right now.
1. We make some custom height brackets.
2. The STS mounts are meant to work with e36 m3 bushings. Pulling from the BMW knowledge, a company called Condor makes shorter e36 m3 mounts. If I am remembering correctly they drop the motor 10 or 15mm Which might just be enough but they are poly. (https://www.condorspeedshop.com/coll...nt=32325768257)

Last edited by Will325; 06-28-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #14
Will325
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed145 View Post
Agreed.

That's a sweet project! Looking forward to watching this one come together!! Where in NorCal are you?
We are in San Mateo.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

mikezohsix on here put an ls1/t56 in a v90 6 or 7 years ago with custom mounts. He might still have the specs.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #16
mikezohsix
Board Member

My opinion, if you want to keep the feel of the V90, and not feel like you're driving a race car, then you need compliant mounts. I used GTO mounts when I built my car, they came with the engine. I was way ahead of all the pre-made mounts, I ended up modifying the original aluminum motor mount brackets to lower the engine into the car.

Depending on where you mount your engine front to back, you're going to need to open up the tunnel for the bell housing and the reverse lock out on the T56 - just BFH work. I located mine so the shifter came thru the stock opening which allows you to reuse the original console with out modifications.

I just checked my old thread and all the pictures are disabled because Photobucket is now charging to act as a third party hosting service. Send me a PM with your email and i'll look into giving you access to my PB account.
- it's a driving car now with a 350hp all aluminum LS1 with T56 six speed manual transmission, and it hauls ass! Check the for sale section if you're interested in the car - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=235015.
mikezohsix@yahoo.com
mikezohsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
57plymouth
Board Member

Can you flip the engine side mount upside down? That would lower it in the chassis. You will likely have to swap to the Holley oil pan if you get it lower. I think the crate motor comes with a truck pan, doesn't it? Even if it's the F-car pan, the Holley pan is a little more shallow.

Edit; that looks like the F-car oil pan that is on the crate motor. So maybe the Holley pan will gain some room.

Last edited by 57plymouth; 06-29-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
M.H. Yount
Board Member

The Mast pan and the 302-2 Holley are even thinner over the rack/crossmember than the 302-1 to position the engine lower - if you can deal with the longer sump. Poly mounts on mine - it's much quieter/smoother/refined than the Ford 5.0L with oem rubber mounts. I added a third "mount" (torque strap) between the driver's side head and the crossmember bolts on the frame rail. Helps calm things down when lots of torque is applied.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will325 View Post
.... and I don't have to worry about the smog legalness because out of the box that motor is smog legal in any obd1 car.

Uh, How does that work?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
240wagonguy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
Uh, How does that work?
https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...o/D-126-32.pdf
Old 06-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #21
cosbySweater
Board Member

I would buy a American power trains t56, the reverse lockout is low profile and it fit in the tunnel of my 240 with no bashing
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I had no idea, that's really neat! Wish they would do that with more motors. I have an appointment with the ref here in Sac in a week, to check out my b230ft (LH24) swap in a B21 (kjet) car, I'm hoping it goes well.
Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #23
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

LS3 + T56, already off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing it run
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 AM   #24
Will325
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezohsix View Post
My opinion, if you want to keep the feel of the V90, and not feel like you're driving a race car, then you need compliant mounts. I used GTO mounts when I built my car, they came with the engine. I was way ahead of all the pre-made mounts, I ended up modifying the original aluminum motor mount brackets to lower the engine into the car.

Depending on where you mount your engine front to back, you're going to need to open up the tunnel for the bell housing and the reverse lock out on the T56 - just BFH work. I located mine so the shifter came thru the stock opening which allows you to reuse the original console without modifications.

I just checked my old thread and all the pictures are disabled because Photobucket is now charging to act as a third party hosting service. Send me a PM with your email and i'll look into giving you access to my PB account.
I couldn't agree more about the mounts.

How much did you have to beat up the tunnel to make it work in the stock hole? I have read it was minor.

Thank you so much that would be great!! I will send you a PM after I'm done here.

Quote:
Can you flip the engine side mount upside down? That would lower it in the chassis. You will likely have to swap to the Holley oil pan if you get it lower. I think the crate motor comes with a truck pan, doesn't it? Even if it's the F-car pan, the Holley pan is a little more shallow.

Edit; that looks like the F-car oil pan that is on the crate motor. So maybe the Holley pan will gain some room.
I don't think I can flip it over. The motor would be on the ground lol. The pan that came on the motor is a massive truck pan. I think they do that on purpose so you have to buy another pan lol. I have a holley 302-1. It looks like it will work with not much modification to the crossmember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
The Mast pan and the 302-2 Holley are even thinner over the rack/crossmember than the 302-1 to position the engine lower - if you can deal with the longer sump. Poly mounts on mine - it's much quieter/smoother/refined than the Ford 5.0L with oem rubber mounts. I added a third "mount" (torque strap) between the driver's side head and the crossmember bolts on the frame rail. Helps calm things down when lots of torque is applied.

The mast pan definitely looks interesting. I found this comparison online. I think for what I am doing, I think the holley might be better because the sump is back a little more (every inch counts!)

About the E-rod, it definitely was not what I was planning to do from the get go. But the more I looked into the swap it seemed like the path of least resistance. Yes its a lot of money, but god damn it makes it easy. It comes with everything. From cats to the ECU etc etc. I guess you have to pay to play by the rules. Supposedly you don't even have to go bar it. I am going anyways lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleknucklez View Post
I had no idea, that's really neat! Wish they would do that with more motors. I have an appointment with the ref here in Sac in a week, to check out my b230ft (LH24) swap in a B21 (kjet) car, I'm hoping it goes well.
I wish they made more motors like this as well! Chevy also makes an LSA and LT1 e-rod ;) In our research for this swap, we found where dodge is thinking about doing one and Cummins makes one. I don't think it's applicable to us but, you could have a cummins volvo lol. http://www.4wdmechanix.com/advance-a...sion-for-jeep/

Good luck!! I have been a few times now with the bmws. One thing I have learned is to make sure the job looks clean and be prepared with any info they might ask for. It also depends on the ref a lot. Some are complete hardasses and others are way more open to new ideas lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I would buy a American power trains t56, the reverse lockout is low profile and it fit in the tunnel of my 240 with no bashing

Good to know. We have one sitting in our garage right now

Speaking of transmissions... Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject of a trans mount. I am thinking the best way to go might be just fabbing one?

Thanks again for all the support. It makes us feel less crazy.

PS. My friend is a way better writer than I am and is writing about this project as well.
http://drivewerks.co/gramps-wagon-pa...or-activities/

Last edited by Will325; 06-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: for a shameless plug
Old 06-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
Mesoam
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will325 View Post
We are in San Mateo.
Cool info about the smog compliance, I'm a couple towns down in RWC