home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #26
Will325
Board Member

So the 740 brackets didn't work... We spent about 3 hours trying to get the motor and trans fall into place and it was a no go. They were angled wrong and they did pushed the mounting point about an inch back.

it was back to the drawing boards....
What we did is figured that we needed about a half an inch between the subframe and the rubber mount to get the motor to sit where we wanted it. We decided to make our own plates like JTR uses. Then drill a hole through the subframe there the rubber mounts nuts needed to be....
It was all was working out great until we drilled through the power steering line that connects the sides of the rack together. I wish I had a photo for you but let's just say we were not happy campers at this point.

We made up some different width wood templates to try.

We ended up using 3/8 so we can shim it if needed.

finally kinda looking right:

Here are the (hopefully) final brackets. We also found in our bmw parts pile some solid rubber mounts off of an m5. that are the same height and offset as the e36 ones that came with the arms but have a much smaller footprint.

Another issue we ran into is our aftermarket t56 has a more forward shifter position.... WTF we can't win.
Its not the best photo but you get the idea.

After a lot of googling we found a t56 magnum shifter relocation plate and short shifter made by Sikky. They are a big nissan and bmw v8 fab company. They offer a 4, 7, or 9 inch plate. I think this is the nicest thing I have ever bought. We did some measuring and think the 4 inch is the ticket.

The puddle box is now out as well. We noticed the 960 brake pedal doesn't have a return spring, is this right?

What we ended up doing is just switched out the pedals from the 740 box to the 960 box because they have a little different mounting points.

Other random things we need to figure out and would love input on:
power steering high pressure line out of pump.
Trans mount/ driveshaft angle.
...And many other things I am forgetting about.

Thanks as always!!
1989 e30 Smog legalish s52 swap.
1986 Toyota pickup DD (gotta leave something alone)

...and In case life wasn't complicated enough

Last edited by Will325; 07-20-2017 at 03:31 AM..
Will325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 AM   #27
Will325
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoam View Post
Cool info about the smog compliance, I'm a couple towns down in RWC
Very cool. I work in RWC
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #28
Will325
Board Member

The engine is finally mounted in the car!!!
The winning combo was the bottom mounts that we make out of 3/8 steel and we modified the sts top mounts to have more purchase on the m5 rubber mounts we are using.

.... Now on to mounting the transmission.

We test fit the stock 960 trans mount and look up through the hole and what do you know we see the mounting holes for the t56, F**ck yea! The t56 holes are almost exactly an inch and a half above the top of the stock mount. The holes for t56 are about a quarter inch off of the center of the old mounting hole. V1 of the mount is 3 by 1 and a half inch square tube. But upon our first test fit the front of the tube was interfering with the back of the trans. Now we are going to cut it to 2 and 3/4 or so to give clearance.

Here is v1 mounted to the stock crossmember.

The shifter plate made a huge difference.

We have been figuring out and making mounts for the ls' fusebox and ecu. We ended up over by the ABS unit.

The engine bay as it sits now:

On the CTS accessories the power steering pump high pressure line sits really close to the pulley, so close in fact it's almost impossible to get a fitting in there. A company called turn one makes a piece to solve this by extending out past the pulley while converting it to an 6AN fitting. On the rack side speedway makes a banjo bolt that fits with a 6 AN male coming off of it.

The last major thing to do is, figure out the mounting of the drive by wire gas pedal and how we are going to get the connector through the firewall (sawzall solves all ;) )

Thankfully a good friend spends way too much time on craigslist and ended up finding a set of BBS Rks that are volvo specs for a good price. They are beat up enough to be perfect for this car.

Last edited by Will325; 09-22-2017 at 03:20 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 AM   #29
36brua

Nice work on the eng/trans mounts
36brua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #30
Will325
Board Member

Just got a call from the driveshaft shop suggesting that they convert the driveshaft into a one piece to make it easier to put the new yoke on for the t56. My only hesitation with this is that the 960 has a loop near the gas tank that the driveshaft and I'm not sure if I can fit the one piece into place. Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #31
etizz

Following. I'm actually around the same point you are in a similar build and your pics have been helping alot. 92 960 with a 6.0 t56, just test fitted my engine trans with sts mounts in the car but I may have to make some like you did. I used the 740 pedestals and mine lined up no problem but the engine height looks like it can come down more. I had c6 exhaust manifolds laying around but they are aiming right at the steering shaft for me so ill have to find another solution there too. I have an f-body t56 so my shifter location is good. I have an 8.8 ill be modifying later down the road as I have a solid axle already but ill use stock rear for now. also sts makes a big brake kit that uses 04 up v70r big 4 piston brembos and larger rotors up front. I'm waiting on my brackets to ship but I have everything else ready to go cant wait to fit them.
etizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #32
etizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will325 View Post
Just got a call from the driveshaft shop suggesting that they convert the driveshaft into a one piece to make it easier to put the new yoke on for the t56. My only hesitation with this is that the 960 has a loop near the gas tank that the driveshaft and I'm not sure if I can fit the one piece into place. Any thoughts?
update for me, mines running and ready to go. also my local driveshaft shop converted my 2 piece driveshaft, they actually made it a bit short by accident but luckily I was able to buy a longer slip yoke to make up the difference so its good to go now. they said due to the length if they made it a one piece shaft it would have to be a 3" diameter tube which I don't think would have fit without cutting that loop out of the car.

also I accidently put regular power steering fluid in and it was doing some weird stuff, apparently these cars take the "type f" fluid, I flushed mine out and it was great afterwards just fyi
etizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:04 AM   #33
Will325
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etizz View Post
update for me, mines running and ready to go. also my local driveshaft shop converted my 2 piece driveshaft, they actually made it a bit short by accident but luckily I was able to buy a longer slip yoke to make up the difference so its good to go now. they said due to the length if they made it a one piece shaft it would have to be a 3" diameter tube which I don't think would have fit without cutting that loop out of the car.

also I accidently put regular power steering fluid in and it was doing some weird stuff, apparently these cars take the "type f" fluid, I flushed mine out and it was great afterwards just fyi
That's great to hear that you got the car on the road!! We finally just our 960 running last weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

I will post more photos and details soon. leaving for Austrailia tomorrow but just wanted to give a quick update and say congrats!