home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Atom D&D
Board Member

Default Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

The back story-Well, since the recent Photobucket debacle I've decide to create a new thread to update the next phase of the project. Most probably don't know about my project, but I converted my Amazon wagon to two door and proceeded to install all manner of custom bits as part of the process.

The past-Well, the car wound up being an Internet hero getting tons of attention and reposts and the original renderings keep popping up all over the place even all these years later. The car was never completed and never ran. The amount of work left to do was just too overwhelming. I don't have a garage at home so I'm at the mercy of a large number of things. Weather, family, house, etc. I decided that it couldn't sit as a driveway ornament any more.

The plan- I decided the fastest path to being able to actually enjoy the car was to use my favorite part of the Amazon (the body) and put it over an already running/driving chassis. My search began. At first I wanted to stay Volvo. I researched everything from 850 to 240 to V70XC to S40, etc. All are too wide and too long a wheelbase. My search widened. I wanted RWD, manual trans and solid aftermarket support. What I didn't was an obscure car that I'd never be able to find parts for. Turns out (after months of Internet scouring and parking lot tape measure work) that the BMW E30 chassis is about the right wheelbase and very close pinch weld to pinch weld width.

The next steps- I started looking for a car and stumbled onto what would be perfect for my needs. An '86 325i convertible that someone had already started parting out (I'd like to point out that all of the cars I've "destroyed" were all headed to the scrap yard before I got them. I'm doing my best to rescue what I can and put the rest of the usable parts in the hands of people who need them). Six cylinder, five speed, extra floor bracing and plenty of aftermarket support. Anyway, I sold the running gear that was in the Amazon and started the break down. Once I had it down to the shell I started by bracing the body to make sure it retained it's shape. Then I removed the entire floor pan. Next I did the necessary repairs to the BMW from the parting process and brought the donor home. I've started removing the outer skin on the BMW. My plan is to prep both cars over the next couple of weeks and I've taken the last week of July off of work to try and complete the body swap.

I'll try to post my updates here, but I have a history of focusing more on the work and less on the posting.

Stay tuned.
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Oooh those Mini Cooper S BBSs are going to look sharp if you keep thr 4-lug hubs!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Tfrasca
Board Member

The is the craziest **** I've ever seen. In the best possible way.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Atom D&D
Board Member

Sometimes the tools you need just don't exist so you gotta make them.

The part I enjoy the least. Drilling spot welds and prepping metal.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
matt b
Board Member

Nice work Adam. It's nuts to think that swapping bodies is less work than finishing the car in its original form. Will you be repainting the entire car ? Keeping the blue or going to another color ?
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Nice work Adam. It's nuts to think that swapping bodies is less work than finishing the car in its original form. Will you be repainting the entire car ? Keeping the blue or going to another color ?
I always wanted the paint to patina out, that's why I painted it with single stage to begin with, so I've got that handled at least. I'm going to leave the paint as is for a while. I want to get to a point that I can do stuff because I "want" to, not cause I "have" to.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Atom D&D
Board Member

That's enough for today.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
volvobrage
Board Member

Followd Your old thread from the beginning and will continue now.
Awesome car and work being done:D
volvobrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
xorox_88
Board Member

okay this is pretty cool
xorox_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
doucheNozzle

Damn son.

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Haha, this is nuts and I love it!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
cwdodson88
Board Member

Once it goes in will you be removing the rear seat bracing so the cargo area is still functional?

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Once it goes in will you be removing the rear seat bracing so the cargo area is still functional?
No, probably not. It'll still be functional, just not AS functional. I think leaving the bulkhead will add nice rigidity. I use my P2 for hauling stuff. This car is mostly for fun.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Atom D&D
Board Member

Got the 4th off, but going to try and handle some less dirty stuff today. Handle some mechanical bits instead of cutting and grinding and metal shavings and grinder dust in my ear holes.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Well, this is crazy. Love it!

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
evolvo67
Board Member

"The amount of work left to do was just too overwhelming."

Please explain to me how the amount of work left to do on the first project is more overwhelming than the bag of worms you've opened now? Sorry but I think you just wasted a ton of time and $ on what was an almost completed project in order to throw even more time and $ on a sketchy project. IMO you should have finished what was going to be an awesome car and then done the next project. The goal is to drive them, is it not? Just what was the stumbling block you're referring to? Just remember, there are no problems, only solutions.

I'm trying to think of a nice way of saying I think this is stupid considering how close you where on the first iteration, but I can't, so I won't.
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #17
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

https://www.google.com/search?q=unso...w=1280&bih=582

Oh right T-Bricks. Atom, carry on.
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #18
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post

Please explain to me how the amount of work left to do on the first project is more overwhelming than the bag of worms you've opened now? Sorry but I think you just wasted a ton of time and $ on what was an almost completed project in order to throw even more time and $ on a sketchy project. IMO you should have finished what was going to be an awesome car and then done the next project. The goal is to drive them, is it not? Just what was the stumbling block you're referring to? Just remember, there are no problems, only solutions.

I'm trying to think of a nice way of saying I think this is stupid considering how close you where on the first iteration, but I can't, so I won't.
Your attitude is wrong
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo67 View Post

It's OK, I don't mind the concern or the comments.

No fuel system
No electrical system
No engine wiring (including ECU and tuning)
No interior
No room for cooling fans
Engine needed to be pulled back out and engine compartment repainted
I was concerned about the mounting system for the rear suspension
The rear suspension was too wide necessitating MASSIVE negative camber

It looked close. In reality it was far off.

I will say that I'm unclear how this is more of a bag of worms than what I had already opened. This route will allow me to have one vehicle to be able to get parts for. Also allows for the massive amount of available tech support and upgrades that have already been worked out. I need repair parts, performance parts or decide I want to upgrade, I get info for a BMW E30 (for which there is an entire race circuit already in place). If anything I've eased my path moving forward. No more "It's a timing belt from an 850 on a marine motor with a VW tensioner and a Toyota transmission being run with a Mitsubishi distributor. Oh, and the rotors are Mitsubishi and calipers are Volvo.....I think".

Thank you for the concern.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=unso...w=1280&bih=582

Oh right T-Bricks. Atom, carry on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Your attitude is wrong
Internet 101-Not everyone is going to agree with you and EVERYONE has an opinion. I can handle it.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #21
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Subscribed!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #22
GTFOUR
Board Member

This build is going to be epic
GTFOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #23
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
It's OK, I don't mind the concern or the comments.

No fuel system
No electrical system
No interior
No room for cooling fans

It looked close. In reality it was far off.

I will say that I'm unclear how this is more of a bag of worms than what I had already opened. This route will allow me to have one vehicle to be able to get parts for. Also allows for the massive amount of available tech support and upgrades that have already been worked out. I need repair parts, performance parts or decide I want to upgrade, I get info for a BMW E30 (for which there is an entire race circuit already in place). If anything I've eased my path moving forward. No more "It's a timing belt from an 850 on a marine motor with a VW tensioner and a Toyota transmission being run with a Mitsubishi distributor. Oh, and the rotors are Mitsubishi and calipers are Volvo.....I think".

Thank you for the concern.
I hate having to get replacement parts for my 122... started keeping a binder with part numbers for this reason...
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:09 AM   #24
evolvo67
Board Member

No fuel system

The stock tank would fit the way you did the body IIRC, add an external electric pump and some 3/8" fuel line.

No electrical system

http://www.americanautowire.com/ This is what I used, EZ install and plenty of circuits for everything you'd ever need.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...d/microsquirt/
I think there's a whole thread about using this on TB.

No interior

I drove mine for years without an interior, no big deal. Get it done when you can.

No room for cooling fans

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s/overview/
This was a possible solution, you could have eliminated the water pump and made an adapter plate for the e-pump outlet. This would give you a lot more room to fit a fan. You could have also reversed the coolant flow so that the head received the cooled water first as is done on modern cars. The head makes the most heat so it makes no sense to send cooled water to the block so that it is hotter when it reaches the head.

So to avoid pulling the engine you cut the body off the pan? That simplifies things

Have you seen the engineering Canuck is doing on his 122? IIRC he had the same IRS in his car and made it work by narrowing. I narrowed the Jag IRS in my car, it's not that hard if you pencil it out and take your time. I know you have the skills.

Atom D&D, I appreciate that you get that not everyone will hop on the bandwagon and differing opinions aren't condemnations. I saw your car at IPD and thought it was really coming along great. I was just sorry to see you give up after investing so much time and money. Again, there are no problems, only solutions! Some just take longer to find than others.

Harlard, my "attitude" comes from years of experience building cars. I've seen to many projects lost to easily surmountable problems. As I said I was sorry to see this car so close to completion only to get blown up, SAD!
evolvo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #25
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

You have to understand that the guy putting it together isn't as inexperienced as you seem to assume.