home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #101
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobrage View Post
Awesome work!:D Do you have Your own cnc mill?
CNC router. 24"x36". Not as accurate as a mill, but accurate enough for 95% of what I need for my projects.
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #102
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Can you share more about assumptions for the runner length calculations - did it solve for peak torque rpm or did you input that number? Seems higher than I would imagine....of course I'm making up all of it....
Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #103
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Can you share more about assumptions for the runner length calculations - did it solve for peak torque rpm or did you input that number? Seems higher than I would imagine....of course I'm making up all of it....
It first has a formula to calculate peak RPM. I used the runner area where it enters the head as that seems to be a fairly consistent cross section. It probably is higher than actual value, but I figured if I use their calculator for each step the end result should be close. I know that other E30 ITB kits use around a 12" length valve to runner end

http://www.wallaceracing.com/runnertorquecalc.php
Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #104
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Thx for link - I've used a number of those Wallace Racing calculators.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #105
Atom D&D
Board Member

Been going to work early, and getting home late these days. That plus family weekend obligations, and I haven't gotten much sheet metal work done on the chassis. I did pick up some Amazon roof skin panels to help with some transitions last weekend. I did play around a little more with the ITBs though. Everything is getting closer. Relocating the battery to the trunk as well.

Still need to make the throttle body mounts, the fuel rail mounts, the vacuum collector/chamber and blend the transitions a little.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #106
Atom D&D
Board Member

I'm switching out the engine harness to upgrade to Motronic1.3. The factory loom gets brittle and cracks so I decided to recover it, but I wanted a vintage look. I buy a bunch of different diameter ropes because you can pull the middle out and just use the outside as loom.

First I mark the plug and take pictures of the wire positions

Then I de-pin the plug, fold the wires back on themselves (in different levels to keep the diameter small) and tape them up to pull the boots off

I get different sizes of rope in the same colorway (thanks Amazon) and cut the rope to length matching the runs of wire, pull the middle out and heat seal the ends

Then simply slide the sleeve over the wire and use real Tesa Tape at the junction like OEM

Then I tape the cut end of a ziptie in the end of the loom

Dunk the boot in soapy water and pull it over the ziptie/sleeve

I typically don't put the plugs back on until I'm completely done in case I need to change something or run them through another loom. When I'm all done I spray it with this goodness just to be sure

Sorry some of my pictures are blurry, my phone has been doing that just recently and I forget to check each pic, then I get waaaaaay past that step and it's too late to retake it
Old 08-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #107
Atom D&D
Board Member

Back to the ITBs. Using the calculator from before, I know the length of runner (velocity stack) I need, but after lots of searching, they're just too expensive to buy. I'm going to make my own from composite. I started building the plug to make a mold. I went longer than the calculations called for A) because that should bring peak torque a bit lower in the RPM range and B) because I figure it's a lot easier to shorten the stacks than it would be to lengthen them. I started by drawing the stacks in CAD, cutting some chunks on the router, gluing them together, marking the final radius and sanding the half down

A while back I made myself a "Hot Work Station" that I use for vacu-forming and powdercoating. I used the old oven from my house when we remodeled, a clamp frame made of plywood, a shop vac triggered by a switch when you push the frame down and a board with vacuum channels in it

Then I heated up some ABS and vacu-formed two halves for the plug

(again with the blurry pics. Sorry)

Then I glued the two halves together and filled with casting urethane resin from TAP Plastics

I split the halves of ABS off, drilled a hole through the middle and added some threaded rod to act as a "poor man's lathe" (since I'm broke and don't have a lathe)

Then I added some filler, sanded and primered. I probably will start the mold process next week, so that's it for now

Old 08-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #108
doucheNozzle

The rope idea. So awesome.

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:51 PM   #109
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Cool watching you make shlt from scratch with tools/equipment you made yourself.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #110
gdogg16
You're a Subtotal

Amazing as always, Adam!
'74 142
'83 911SC
'99 2500 Ram
'13 TDI Sportwagen
'15 TDI Sportwagen
gdogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #111
matt b
Board Member

Impressive!
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #112
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

So fun to watch your mind and hands create!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #113
Atom D&D
Board Member

Still doing boring stuff. Got the fuel filler completely modded, painted and in place. Been working on filler panels still. You can make some decent filler panels with just a few tools from Harbor Freight.

Also powder coated the ITBs chrome with a copper candy topcoat (it just looks orange LOL).
Old 08-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #114
Atom D&D
Board Member

This week/weekend's accomplishments include getting the fuel filler modified/installed (no decent pictures), smoothing the driver's side sill/transition and spraying satin black, getting the back half of the car (including both wheel wells) stuck together and Raptor lined. I use the Raptor in the back and in the wheel wells like undercoat. Only more durable and "encapsulating".

Old 08-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #115
matt b
Board Member

If you know what an Amazon door sill should look like, it makes you look hard to see the differences. Incredibly clean work as always, this is awesome.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #116
Atom D&D
Board Member

I need to make a decision on interior color. Originally I really wanted to do like a blood red-burgundy type color, but I realized that maybe why I like that combo so much is that it would basically wind up like the Voxx Amazon

Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to completely rip him off. So now I'm leaning towards a Volvo OEM color like Atacama or something

Of course the dash and other parts will be black/charcoal, but I'm not a fan of tan and full black/charcoal

Oh, made myself some front coilovers this weekend too.

Still need to make some upper spring perches and top plates. That's it for now besides incremental progress on stitching together and metal prep
Old 09-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #117
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
You can make some decent filler panels with just a few tools from Harbor Freight..
I'm building a Ute and it has involved making a ton of pieces, my favorite new tool is the $49 electric shears. Work really damn well and will actually cut 14gauge steel! Also bought their flanging tool which has been handy.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #118
Atom D&D
Board Member

Picking out interior colors.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:42 AM   #119
thismachine13
Board Member

This is like listening to Norman Rockwell as he puts paint to canvas. Incredible project!
thismachine13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #120
Atom D&D
Board Member

Since the taillight is on a hinged panel now I started making my own LED taillights. Middle and top red lens will be 50% rows for parking light and all rows for brake light. Bottom clear lens will be two rows white LEDs for reverse and three rows red LEDs for turn signal.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #121
Jack
junkman

fuk yeah... those looks awesome.

Make some to sell or at least the insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_elleck View Post
I regretfully agree with Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
make k-jet great again.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #122
Atom D&D
Board Member

I changed departments at work so I've been crazy busy there and the kids have eaten up a bunch of time so there hasn't been a ton of progress. I'm trying to get some stuff buttoned up so I can get to sealing the car up for winter. Painted the back half of the interior sheet metal in black and prepped to spray bedliner in the convertible tub. Turning my attention to the seats since those'll come in short order. Broke out my trusty machine "Betsy"

and started messing with stitch patterns. I need more practice before my top stitch lines will be straight, but it's never gonna be a Riddler winner, so I'm not too concerned. I tried single top stitch, double top stitch: one side and straight double top stitch (French stitch)

The problem I'll run into is patterning. My cloth rear seat is so destroyed that there's literally cloth just missing.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 AM   #123
matt b
Board Member

I really like the last two patterns, whatever they're called. Lines look straight enough to me.

Side question: do you have any interest in that roof rack ? We never finished the transaction and I'm getting ready to sell it to buy a heavy duty one that will handle 50-70 lbs of bikes gracefully.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #124
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
I really like the last two patterns, whatever they're called. Lines look straight enough to me.

Side question: do you have any interest in that roof rack ? We never finished the transaction and I'm getting ready to sell it to buy a heavy duty one that will handle 50-70 lbs of bikes gracefully.
I'm fairly broke these days. I need to hold off. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #125
matt b
Board Member

No worries. Funds are being put to a good use right now.