home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #26
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Nice thread, looks like a lot of set backs at the moment. Drop me a message so we can see what we can do on sorting that shock for you if the advice from GAZ has not worked
Thanks Dai, that's very kind. I'll PM you.

So, ran the engine without any accessories and the whine is very easy to pick out:

I did talk to the machine shop: they did rings, bearings and checked the head. Soooo, I'm leaning towards user error on this one. I should have been more careful when I plumbed the fuel pump and not let it shoot massive amounts of fuel into the carbs without an FPR.

They'll fix it, but this is a humbling moment fo' sho'.

Spare engine has fiber gears (that I can't swap out since I managed to lose my puller) but it's good to go beyond that.
matt b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #27
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Well crap. Beautiful engine.

I've seen a few horrendously flooded engines that "washed" the oil from the cylinders. Usually dump the oil and squirt a few drops into the cylinders so the rings seal. Curious to see what you find.

I had a front pump on a transmission that sounded like that once.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #28
matt b
Board Member

Adding some oil brought the cylinders from 60 to 70 psi. Machine shop still wants to double check the cam, that whine isn't normal.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #29
matt b
Board Member

All right, after some oddball issues with valve springs, another issue with re-using a crankshaft pulley I thought I had thrown out (has a wobble in it) and trying to find time to work on it: it's alive for good.

2 caliper rebuilds later (thanks VP-Autoparts for the solid rebuild kits), we're moving! Both front calipers were seized, I honestly think the PO parked it and left it there for a few years.

Bottom end is a stock B20F (AFAIK) and head is a milled carb head. It measures just shy of a B20B head and has the notched intake ports. I ended up using IPD Hi-Rev's lifter and pushrod kit, because I had it on a shelf. Radiator is a stock one for now, until I can get the aluminum one to fit.

Video of it with the timing set to 15 degrees, I'll bring it down to 12 tomorrow. Carbs sound great as always and exhaust is not as loud as I expected it to be.

Clutch is set properly, brakes need to be bled again (having to pump once or twice to get a good pedal). I want to install the IPD sway bars, wire up the overdrive, use the aluminum radiator (using a stock spare for now) and finish up some odds and ends. Work permitting, this should be all done this week.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #30
stick70
All the gauges

Awesome! This looks like a solid car, glad you've got the engine issues sorted.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #31
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Awesome! This looks like a solid car, glad you've got the engine issues sorted.
Thanks, it's going to be a well sorted car soon. Glad I left the floor repairs to professionals, I don't mind doing small stuff like filling a radio hole in the VW or but entire sections of the floors would have set me back 1-2 months.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #32
matt b
Board Member

I guess I should do a better job of updating this thread.

Way back when (4-5 months ago), I made a drunk purchase. Late night, awesome beer, Skandix website. I landed on my feet though....

52832489561__D94AEF36-8FF7-4062-A9CC-D9C6084D8E21

Drove the car, got tired of pushing the stalk at every turn of the wheel:

IMG_6761

Out came the brake line tool, and this happened:

IMG_6762

Not sold on the horn button but I'll get used to it.

52832495519__37DB87F6-1B3F-4FA4-9BAF-2092ED2AADE9

Cameron had suggested that I hit the freeze plugs on the engine, they were convex which meant no one had actually made them seal. So I did, and this happened.....

IMG_6763

IMG_6764

Yes, the genius decided he wanted to double up on freeze plugs. I'm hoping this was an aesthetic decision and not a precaution against leaks. No issue with leaks at all, the car has been run to full temperature multiple times with no issue. But this was a head scratcher....
Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #33
cwdodson88
Board Member

lol, WTF would make a person double up a freeze plug?

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #34
stick70
All the gauges

Can't say I've ever seen that.
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:22 AM   #35
matt b
Board Member

And this is every single plug. I'm considering contacting the PO just to figure it out. Looks ? Genuinely thinking it's twice as strong ? Odd prank ?

Car runs great, I drove it 30+ miles today with temps hovering around 100F, it's steady as can be. I'm loving this one.

Still need to put in a good steering box, need to wire up the tach, install the sway bars, replace some odds and ends but it's solid. Happy Matt is happy.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #36
Jack
junkman

Forget who makes those steering wheels. French company if I'm correct. I think if you change the center (same as on momo) it will look better. Maybe a more period correct logo ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_elleck View Post
I regretfully agree with Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
make k-jet great again.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:59 AM   #37
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Maybe a more period correct logo ?
Custom vintage script ftw, get it done here: http://revlimiter.net/store/horn-custom.php

Reasonable. At least after a couple more beers...
"I think that man was put here on earth to live, not just to exist" -- Robert 'Evel' Knievel
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #38
KEITHS2000
Board Member

Mota lita
KEITHS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #39
Tfrasca
Board Member

That freeze plug thing is crazy. Looks like they were just epoxied on? That would make me think it was purely for aesthetics.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #40
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

^^^

what tfrasca said, I can't imagine anyone would think there'd be any functional benefit to be gained from doing that.
2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT: 121K
Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #41
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampman View Post
^^^

what tfrasca said, I can't imagine anyone would think there'd be any functional benefit to be gained from doing that.
I agree but I also received a car from the seller with only the transmission crossmember holding the engine and trans in the car. All engine bolts were finger tight only, etc.... The list goes on, nothing surprises me with this guy anymore.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #42
matt b
Board Member

You drive them, you break them....

Had the car nicely dialed in with the Holley electric fuel pump and FPR, things were swell. Except for the fact that my temp gauge was apparently wildly inaccurate. Car must have been overheating for the past few days, and lost all compression today. Looks like I'll be installing engine #3, which is also engine #1. I'm not sure what caused it to overheat in the first place. No leak in radiator or hoses, and oil is coolant free.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #43
matt b
Board Member

Dug into it, I hadn't had a chance to even open the hood since Saturday morning. Fuel pump had an issue as well, but that was a minor issue with the relay.

IMG_0104

Popped the hood, pretty obvious what the problem is: I cooked my engine.

IMG_0105

Machine shop has my other engine done, so I'll swap engines over Thanksgiving. That engine had ring issues in cylinders 1 and 4, not 3 and 4 as originally thought.

In the meantime, working on getting this one back on the road after 8-10 years of sitting in a field.

IMG_0107
Old 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #44
matt b
Board Member

Finally took the time to get a block to the machine shop. Engine #1 that had low compression was actually cylinders 1 and 4, both of which had a small lip on the cylinder walls. Surprised that the shop missed that the first time, but I'm a little relieved that I didn't screw it up myself.

Engine #2 failed because the water pump failed. It looks like some crud wedged itself in the water pump (dirty block ? Failing rad ?) and stopped it from flowing like it should. Not a huge deal, I'm switching to a new aluminum radiator and the block is getting cleaned.

Since the engine and trans are out again, I may knock off a few hours and paint the engine bay. I don't like the flat black.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #45
gdogg16
You're a Subtotal

That's a bummer, Matt. :(
'74 142
'83 911SC
'99 2500 Ram
'13 TDI Sportwagen
'15 TDI Sportwagen
gdogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #46
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdogg16 View Post
That's a bummer, Matt. :(
Thanks, mostly annoyed that the shop couldn't take the time to check the bores properly when they re-ringed it. That's an odd for me, they're usually super solid. Mistakes happen.

I'm plugging along on the 59, so no worries.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #47
FezMonki
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Forget who makes those steering wheels. French company if I'm correct. I think if you change the center (same as on momo) it will look better. Maybe a more period correct logo ?
I had this on my 240 before selling it, 30 euro off ebay, should look correct-ish here too?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #48
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FezMonki View Post
I had this on my 240 before selling it, 30 euro off ebay, should look correct-ish here too?
Can't hurt to try. I have 4-5 steering wheels hanging on a wall so even if it doesn't fit this one it would probably fit another one.