• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rotella, Delo, or Mobile 1?

BryantTF242

What's the best oil for my 1990 B230?

-Rotella 15w-40?
-Delo 15w-40?
-Or should I stick with the Mobile 1 10w-40 high mileage I've been using for years and years?

From what I gather the rule of the thumb for B230's is the same as for my honda cx 500. ****ty cheap oil, often.

I use Rotella 15w40 the 450k mile 740SE, The 346k 78 245, all the 84 cars, including a K cammed 242.

It's good stuff, and dirt cheap at tractor supply.

What's the best oil for my 1990 B230?

-Rotella 15w-40?
-Delo 15w-40?
-Or should I stick with the Mobile 1 10w-40 high mileage I've been using for years and years?

It don't matter but why would you change what has worked for years. In my 87 244 I purchased new got 15-50 Mobil from 15,000 until they stopped selling it in 5 qt at walley world. My car pegged the 5 bar gauge even when hot at speed. Now I use 0-40 Mobil 1 and like it better. Get ther quicker now it's only 4.5-5 bars hot at speed and about 3 bar at idle hot. The car has 329,000 miles and uses no oil on a 5,000 miles change. People all got differ end opinions of what they like. Rotella and delo are both great but why change or even asking.

Volvo appears to recommend Castrol GTX 10W-40.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/VolvoOilChart2007UKv5.pdf

Whether that is due to the product or some sort of marketing/business deal I can't say. But it is interesting how they assign different oil selections to the various year/model cars.

Oil is a personal choice and many are passionate about what has worked for them and I don't have any axe to grind as I'm a new custodian of an '82 245 Diesel so I have a lot more questions than answers. But I thought that if the Factory and Castrol can take the time to put out this kind of specific oil recommendation I'd pass it along.

-Tom in SoCal
1982 245 GL Diesel

Based on what I've read in Volvo literature, I think that chart is wrong.

10w40 is not acceptable in 850s according to the owners manual. We had to stock oil just for them at one garage I worked at because the RWD Volvos and Saabs we worked on took a different weight.

What have you guys used to help ease piston slap? Within the last year I developed piston slap that does not go away even at full op temp. It happened after I started using Rotella 15w40 and remains after two changes using Delo 15w40. Any suggestions or experience?

Liqui-Moly Synthetic 5W-40 completely eliminated piston slap in my b230ft. I haven't gone back to it because I haven't found it on sale again :)

Can anybody tell me the benefit of running diesel-rated oil in a gas engine? I know in a diesel engine it helps with soot control, but a gas engine should not be producing those large amounts of soot. Curious.

Can anybody tell me the benefit of running diesel-rated oil in a gas engine? I know in a diesel engine it helps with soot control, but a gas engine should not be producing those large amounts of soot. Curious.

The extra detergent cleans the waxy deposits, and coke.

That said I run Delo 15-40 and Mobil 1, 50/50.

965,000 miles later on Delo...

I ran Rotella T6 in my 960, it seemed to work well and keep things clean. I have heard that Rotella has a lot of phosphorus in it or something like that, so it may not be good for cat converters. Anybody have any thoughts on that before I put it in my V70?

Been on the M1 bandwagon for a decade. Pulled the cam cover on the R last year, first time, at 275k. Damn thing was slightly yellow colored aluminum, no black, no buildup, nothing, and it gets 9k changes, filters at 3k. At this point, sitting at 290k, uses about a half quart in 3k. Running M1 10w40 high mileage, no issues at all, doesn't even have any lifter tick. Yeah...a high mileage whiteblock with no tick...explain that.

In mine it's M1 15w50. Not sure why, oil pressure is a little on the lower side for some reason, even with good bearing clearances, so the 15w50 helps a little. FYI...it is still available at walmart, just not consistently at some stores, not at all at others. If you can't find it at one, check another. Bought some last week.

Back