• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tell me about 960s/V90s.

suped.

I've been curious about 960 wagons/V70s lately. I saw a clapped out forest green wagon the other day and it actually looked pretty cool. I find white blocks intriguing, but would rather have RWD if I can help it.

Besides the aluminum sixer, how much different are the 960s from the other/earlier 7 and 9 series?

What fuel system is run?

All are IRS?

Common problems?

Mmm green.
157.jpg

Timing belts and head gaskets are commonly neglected on these cars...

I had one...they're commonly trading for under $1,000 around here, as they need expensive work.

There are things to like and things to dislike.....it's nothing like your $500 redblock car.

I averaged about 14-16mpg....and with NO domestic manual transmission swap available, I was bummed.

Low end torque is nice, but I love the power of a 2.3 turbo better, all around.

It's a damn yacht...that's a heavy beast!

So, if you really like it and have the dough to bank roll the maintenance, go for it. If you're anything like me, a shoestring, shade tree, DIYer, I don't think it's for you.

They look alright, but if that's all that intrigues you, I'd wait for a deal on a 740/940 turbo wagon.

14-16? Geez.

Why are they so heavy? Google says 3500ish lbs. I wouldn't think a whiteblock would weigh that much more than a redblock?

I've heard that fit and finish is way better than a 7 series.

But the timing belt is super easy to change and takes less than 30 minutes.

My Mom's '95 964 has 255,000 miles and has had a minimal amount of maintenance.

I'd call that pretty reliable.

14-16? Geez.

Why are they so heavy? Google says 3500ish lbs. I wouldn't think a whiteblock would weigh that much more than a redblock?

I got around 20mpg in mine.

The interiors are nice and comfortable, stock radio & speakers are decent too. Engine is smooth as butter, I would sometimes think it had shut off while waiting at red lights because it would idle so steady. Low end torque is enjoyable but other than that it's a dog. It would make a satisfactory DD.

Rear suspension is lame.

14-16? Geez.

Heavy because of luxury stuff & IRS...not sure what that whiteblock weighs...

Fit and Finish was one of my biggest gripes.....all the door panels have a problem with shrinkage, and they'll delaminate from the backing. I'm yet to find one that still has decent seat skins. Plastic parts have their common problems too...

Personally, I found it not worth the effort. There is a limited amount of things one can do to the car....suspension mods are expensive and limited, given the transverse leaf spring, in the back. Manual swaps are a custom or international order. Engine tuning is all custom and BIG $$$.

I NEEDED better fuel economy...at the time, there was just no way I could afford to keep fuel in the tank. I polished mine as best I could, with JY parts, and had good panels & paint, but I never found decent interior panels to swap my old ratty ones.

I rolled the dice when I bought it, because the price was right and there were no 240 Wagons for sale, that week. The 6-cylinder and luxury trim had me intrigued. It was a learning lesson for me; I just prefer the simplicity and efficiency of a 240

Heavy because of luxury stuff & IRS...not sure what that whiteblock weighs...

Fit and Finish was one of my biggest gripes.....all the door panels have a problem with shrinkage, and they'll delaminate from the backing. I'm yet to find one that still has decent seat skins. Plastic parts have their common problems too...

Personally, I found it not worth the effort. There is a limited amount of things one can do to the car....suspension mods are expensive and limited, given the transverse leaf spring, in the back. Manual swaps are a custom or international order. Engine tuning is all custom and BIG $$$.

I NEEDED better fuel economy...at the time, there was just no way I could afford to keep fuel in the tank. I polished mine as best I could, with JY parts, and had good panels & paint, but I never found decent interior panels to swap my old ratty ones.

I rolled the dice when I bought it, because the price was right and there were no 240 Wagons for sale, that week. The 6-cylinder and luxury trim had me intrigued. It was a learning lesson for me; I just prefer the simplicity and efficiency of a 240

Sounds like you had a junker tbh. My s90 gets 22mpg avg the interior is mint no peeling rattles.

I would say the best thing about the s90 is the smooth as butter ride.

I picked up a '97 960 at 59k miles, and even then the leather was starting to wear out. The leather with piping around the edges seems to last a lot longer. Other than that I absolutely loved it. Luxurious, comfortable, better sound deadening than previous models so my aftermarket stereo sounded fantastic, FWD wheel fitment, enough torque that getting on the freeway wasn't a nightmare. Only reason I got rid of it was that I needed a wagon, otherwise I'd still be driving it today. I also got terrible mileage, averaging around 18, compared to 23 (stock) and 26 (tuned) for my 5 cylinder turbo cars.

IIRC, there's something wonky with the brakes on 960s. My folks have a sedan that gets driven very little, yet that car goes through brakes like nobody's business. Other than that, it's a nice car--very smooth, with a cushy interior.

They are super nice cars. And...........they don't get bad gas mileage. A properly tuned 960/S/V90 get the same, or better mileage than a 940. I have had 20 of them over that last several years. On the freeway, mine will get 27 mpg. They handle and ride better than the live axle cars. The ride is smooth, the engine so quiet, I've actually tried to restart one that was running when I first had a S90. I thought it had stalled because it was so quiet and had no vibration at all at idle. And no, they aren't all IRS. The sedans have always been IRS. The wagons did not get IRS until 1995. At 3,500-3,600 pounds, they aren't heavy cars.

I've been curious about 960 wagons/V70s lately. I saw a clapped out forest green wagon the other day and it actually looked pretty cool. I find white blocks intriguing, but would rather have RWD if I can help it.

Besides the aluminum sixer, how much different are the 960s from the other/earlier 7 and 9 series?

Common problems?

The interior in my '97 is exactly the same (+ wood graaaiiinnn) as the '93 945 we have laying around. The door handles are interchangeable. Hatch is interchangeable. Different underneath.

Not sure if these problems are super common, but here's what I'm working on right now: busted door handle (940 handle on for now), seized hatch latch (took it out, cut away some plastic, works now), stuck seat motor (take it apart, fiddle with cables), gas door hinge broke because it's ****ty plastic, leaky power steering, clunky ball joint.

It's actually a really reliable/awesome car, just as easy to work on as the older stuff, plus the extra benefit/headache of OBD2 for a '97, not sure when they started OBD2.

Sounds kind of like a Mercedes to me so far. Decently reliable, heavy (my 300SD was 3800ish iirc), nice ride. Downside is all the add-ons/luxo that constantly needs fiddling/works intermittently/breaks and is money to repair.

Am I getting this right?

My Dad's v90 was a really comfortable car, I liked it as a cruiser. I think one would make a great DD, it's a smoother car than my 940s have been. His had an ls1 and t56 which made it a little more exciting. Aluminum hoods are cool, they also don't look quite as dated as the big-light 7/9's.

Sounds kind of like a Mercedes to me so far. Decently reliable, heavy (my 300SD was 3800ish iirc), nice ride. Downside is all the add-ons/luxo that constantly needs fiddling/works intermittently/breaks and is money to repair.

Am I getting this right?

That's how I thought of the one I worked on (sister-in-law's). The neutral safety/PNP/whatever-you-call-it switch, and the wiring/relay, is a weak spot. Better that than something else..

Speaking of which.. be wary of very low mileage, early model 960s, as they had an issue with porous blocks :rofl: I believe the date cutoff is pre-95? I'm sure someone on here will comment with more accuracy. By now, though, most of those blocks have been replaced/scrapped.

I guess it depends on your needs and expectations of a daily driver. 95up 960/S/V90s are very nice cars to drive regularly. Quiet, comfortable, smooth, torquey, decent handling & sound system. Gas mileage is ok, about 2 less than a 240 in my experience.
Biggest downside is they all seem to need a head gasket at some point, usually at over 120k mi but under 200k mi. Also lots of people don't do timing belts on time, or don't replace everything in there when they do. Then they crash valves & get expensive to fix. Almost worth finding one like this & get a complete timing belt job (belt, all pulleys & tensioner, water pump) & the head gasket job done up front & enjoy the ride for a long time.
Like all models, there are a few smaller issues. Inner door handles get loose & aren't cheap, seat cables are pesty. No one ever seems to keep up the leather seats, but if you find good ones & treat the leather they stay nice.

That's how I thought of the one I worked on (sister-in-law's). The neutral safety/PNP/whatever-you-call-it switch, and the wiring/relay, is a weak spot. Better that than something else..

Speaking of which.. be wary of very low mileage, early model 960s, as they had an issue with porous blocks :rofl: I believe the date cutoff is pre-95? I'm sure someone on here will comment with more accuracy. By now, though, most of those blocks have been replaced/scrapped.

Yep the pre 95 blocks were known to leak like a stuck pig.

I picked up a 97 with a blown motor and instead of swapping in another whiteblock I went and pulled a lm7 and a 460le to swap in the car.

I think it will make a great cross country car.

When you get to 210k miles, you have to do:
1. Timing belt
2. Tensioner
3. Water Pump
4. Oil Pump

You forget any of those 4, you're gambling about 1500 for a new motor.

The rear cam seal tends to leak, and it is a pain to change out.

If you live in mountainous terrain, you will hate it because it runs out of breath above about 3000ft.

LOTS that's electrical. 95+ take FWD offset wheels.
Dated luxury car. Don't buy a beat to hell one, "no car more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" applies, though a fair bit from any 7/9 car interchanges to keep things fairly painless when sourcing used parts.

ZERO resale value for 92-94 ones generally speaking, no one wants those cars, even if they are fairly pleasant to drive. I don't mind the '94 with a later timing belt in a white wagon...early cams, early body (just get some e-codes and egg crate grill to make it look OK if you care), solid axle in wagons, no peely door panels, early door panels (dated looking, but better grab handles and easier to cherry pick generic 7/9 parts for that inevitably wear out).

They are popping up in the JYs now.
The peely panels is a 95+ thing. By 98 they fixed it, but a little rare to find one of those for parts.

Front end bushings are terrible. There is a "heavy duty" version of it that doesn't suck as much, but most are wasted in the front control arms and cause the toe angle to change like 15? on braking or something silly.

Usual whiteblock stuff:
Crankcase vent
Headgaskets
Hit and miss pourous blocks
Most have worn thrust bearings, but still run a long time like that, not sure why.
Burned valves once in a while.
Oil pump and pickup o-ring.
Waterpump/tbelt and nose seals you do all at once strictly on time.
Cooked trans in some, especially early ones.
Usual other random stuff for those cars/engines/drivetrain.

Swap seat parts onto manual seat frames IMO, but I hate power seats.

They are interesting, some rack up a bunch of miles and are cared for on time and don't burn a valve (good oil helps a lot no doubt), or have the block problem or a beat up interior and are pretty pleasant to drive and aren't bad cars over all really.

If the price is right and you don't get a beat up one, maybe I guess.
I prefer basic 240s for just a workhorse with more years parts interchange and less electrical.

We have W124 benz in our JYs, and the 94/95 420E is a MUCH nicer car to drive all around, of dated, kind of pointless luxury cars. No wagon on that one though. Similar amounts of electrical, but the interior doesn't go to crap and the motor actually has some power, and it has a little bit of resale if a clean example and just needs a waterpump or something easy. Fuel economy highway ok on either, worse on the 960 if it has to climb hills and you beat on it.

But it's a luxury car, so some repairs will really reflect the original purchase price and some parts won't interchange with random volvos in the JY FWD or RWD. If you know what to pick off of dead FWD/RWD volvos to fix one, you can save a lot of money, but maybe not time.

If you get a real clean one where someone rained money at it (but it isn't a lemon one...of which there are) for stupid dirt cheap and have a stockpile of used parts on hand that fit it, sure I guess. *shrug*. Probably has to be a face-lift one if you ever want to sell it when you are done with it, even though a good early one, mechanically speaking, with the later t-belt stuff on it, is fine as long as it isn't a lemon one motor-wise.

Last edited:
Ok, doesn't really sound like it's for me.

I decided to move from Mercedes back to Volvos pretty much because I was tired of ailing luxo equipment and everything that comes with that. The 740 I have now isn't a DL 240, but its 10x simpler than my old 300SD.

Back